• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would like some help with a build i need to finish

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madbrayniak

Registered
Hey guys,
I am working on a HTPC for my father in law that is a suprise for his bday.

I am building it around the a8 apu and it has the gigabyte a75m-ud2h mobo in it. as it got good reviews. It also has 4gb ddr3 ram from kingston and a 430watt psu from corsair.

When I hit the power button the cpu fan spins for a second and then everything turns off again. After that nothing will show any sign of life until i unplug the psu and plug it in again. it will start for one more second and I am back at square one.

I am thinking that it is a problem with the psu and I was considering taking the one out of the computer i am using now to make sure. However, i wanted to see if anyone else on here had any other ideas first.

someone else had a similar issue a while back and the culprit was a standoff in the wrong place...... or something like that. Have you tried to boot the system with the board out of the case or atleast unscrewed and lifted off the standoffs?

In these situations it is always advisable to remove the motherboard from the case and assemble the components on a table top, starting with bare minimum hardware and adding stuff back incrementally until you isolate the culprit. The table top assembly bypasses any electrical ground out issues that might be present when in case. Not sure what your level of experience is with building PCs but a common beginner mistake is to have motherboard standoffs misplaced on the tray and making contact with the underside of the board in the wrong places. Check that carefully once outside the box.

Back