• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500K + Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AusQB

Registered
I built my computer about four months ago and it has been running superbly. Recently I figured I might as well get my money's worth out of my Sandy Bridge so I researched overclocking, since this was the first time I had attempted it.

I initially followed this guide: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/1

It worked for a day but then I started to get some worrying BSOD's and it automatically reset the BIOS settings.

So I looked some more and found this thread: http://forums.legitreviews.com/about33850.html

This setup seemed more fitting for my purposes, so I followed his method exactly, except I set the core multipliers at 43. However, when I started up the computer, all cores were running at 4.3GHz at idle with temperatures in the low to mid 30s. Without overclock, they sit at the mid to high 20s at idle.

Why is the turbo running at idle? I thought the multipliers were only meant to increase under load.

The UD4 has interesting views on life. You can try setting everything below the "CPU Cores Enabled" setting to Enabled instead of AUTO. That might do it for you.

Personally I'd run more like 1.35v at most for a daily system, that should still get you well over 4ghz.

I did exactly as you said and it seems to have worked. Under load all cores (or the ones that are needed) jump to 43. However, at idle they are at 16, half the stock multiplier.

Is this safe in terms of how much it jumps? Is this better than having them at 33 at idle?

Some quick load testing shows that sometimes the core speed will jump to 4.3 GHz but the multiplier will stay at 16 and vice-versa. Idle temperatures are still a little high for idle but that could just be residual heat from earlier states.

Last edited:
Back