• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-2600k and MIVE results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Disclaimer: This is an Overclockers.com Benchmarking team Rig - looking at stability according to whichever benchmark I happen to be competing with at a given point. Frequencies and voltages are not recommended for daily use.

Night 1

i7-2600K (on air for now):

Batch# 3103b307 made in costa rica. I haven't seen/found any reports on this batch from anyone who knows what they are doing. I bought the CPU a month or two ago, when ASUS first told me they were sending an MIVE sample for review (I received the motherboard at the end of last week). It is the latest rev3/b3 revision, and ASUS has updated the box packaging to clearly indicate that, as well as including a sticker or two to clearly indicate its not the old version with the P67 chipset issues.

I used the Massman method of binning Sandybridge - set 1.55V, turn on PLL overvoltage, increase multi until windows won't load. Within a couple boots I found I could do 5.3Ghz (100x53).

After a few more boots I've done wprime32m at 101x53 at 1.57V... Got a Cogage true spirit sitting on top of it with my uber blower pointed at it. The Thermalright AM3 or 1366 hold down bracket doesn't fit, so the heatsink is literally just sitting on the CPU - I have a flask leaning against it to hold it in place, otherwise uber blower slides the heatsink off the CPU at a rate of about 1cm per 30 seconds. Temps are reading around 60C in UEFI, they get up around 90C if I do wprime1024 (haven't ran a full wp1024 test yet). I can almost get into windows at 101.8x53, but not quite on my first few tries - I saw brolloks had a wprime32 run at that frequency. So it looks like this chip is mediocre, not going to knock anyone's socks off. I can't get to the windows loading screen at 100*54 so far.

Overclocking this chip is simple initially - up the multi, turn on PLL overdrive or whatever its called, up cpu voltage, go. I didn't touch anything else, will probably need to see what else there is to tweak once I get around to running superpi32m, but I likely won't bother with sp32m until I have a CPU LN2 container again (waiting to get one custom milled).

MIVE:

MIVE seems alright so far, haven't really done much with it but UEFI seems alright - this is my first time on Sandybridge and UEFI. I like the CIVE BIOS layout better (I used that board with the 1090T, 965BE, and 975BE, including a 7Ghz CPU-Z run), it had more of the settings all on the main overclocking screen, I don't especially care for navigating into submenus to get to settings that could be right there on the main OC settings screen. Seems like a step backwards that way making the interface more cumbersome.

This board came with the RC Bluetooth, and I've gotten it to pair but it won't connect so far. I heard its no good for extreme overclocking anyways, but I did want to test that feature for the review since I have a droid and can do it. For those unfamiliar, RC Bluetooth lets you tweak frequencies and voltages from your handheld while the system is running - it operates at a hardware level on the system, not in software. RC TweakIT does the same, but uses a USB cable with a laptop or netbook.

Anyways, figured I'd give everyone an update. Gonna see about getting some LN2 in the next day or two. Spent some time with the girl tonight, so I haven't gotten conformal on anything yet (need to seal up the board and the video card before freezing stuff). I'm shooting to get that done tomorrow.

Thanks again for letting me borrow this tek9 Brolloks, its a beauty. I ended up using the motherboard tray from my old Coolermaster Praetorian case, so that will work great for securing the card once I have this heavy pot hanging off the card. Usually I just run the motherboard on top of a piece of 1/2" insulation.

Coming Soon: Tek9 Fat on HIS Radeon HD 4890 with LN2

Updates following within the week.

Last edited:
Awesome, you just got me extra jazzed, my 2600k comes wensday for my MIVE setup, and some ddr3 2400.

Hopefully get to run some DICE on it. Will be interesting to see how your results and ours compare.

Last edited:
Looking good Matt, is 53 the max you can boot at?
Matt, do you have overvolt bios profiles for the 4890 or how do you plan to overvolt it?

Last edited:
I don't have crap for the 4890 yet, but I couldn't max the voltage in afterburner on air... So I should be able to max that, and after my first cold GPU session I will voltmod. I figure for the first time cold I'll keep things simple. Keep in mind with all my LN2 sessions, I haven't ran anything which couldn't just be pegged at -196C so it will take some time getting used to holding temps at something more reasonable.

I haven't looked to see what is out there for the 4890 yet, I figured I'd look at Sno's voltmod thread. Should I also be looking for modded bios?

Edmund, if you get a chance, send me over that bios and I'll try to put it to use tonight. I just opened my box of goodies that was supposed to contain my conformal coating - it contained the slot covers I ordered as well as the dielectric grease, but no conformal.

I'm running to microcenter now to see if they have any of the paint on kind - last I checked my store here they didn't have the aerosol/spray on. If I don't have any luck, I might just go the dielectric grease route and cover the whole damn card and PCIE area in that. Would prefer conformal though, less mess.

I should have checked to make sure I had that stuff before I picked up the nitro - I have 50L of LN2 sitting in my basement now. It makes me itchy when it just sits there.

Got my 4890 prepped for cold, getting my OS ready now, and if I don't kill anything, I'll be pouring LN2 in the next 30 minutes or so...

[lstream]overclockers[/lstream]

Back