• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i7 2700k Cooling issue help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lemerex

Registered
Idle around 34C average on all 4 cores. But when I run intel burn test, it makes the cpu go way way too high. I got it to 90+C, and i had to cut the burn test short. Only after 1 Minute! I am using a zalman 7000 so i need a suggestion please. I did recheck and see if it was seated properly and it was. I re-applied thermal paste. Build dozens of machines but never had a machine where the CPU went up to that level of temp before. I have a thermaltake lanbox lite so space will be an issue too. I did look at one, the silverstone NT06-E, and was planning to put a fan on it too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in, but it may be that that Zalman is rather small for a 2700k. It also could be clogged up with dust? How is the airflow in the case?

That heatsink isn't even made for the 1155(2nd gen i7/i5) socket! Invest in this for a low budget. Tell us your budget, then we'll recommend new coolers. That Zalman isn't going to cut it.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in, but it may be that that Zalman is rather small for a 2700k. It also could be clogged up with dust? How is the airflow in the case?

The case is new, fan is new, added a 92mm silenx fan for added intake flow. case came with 90mm front fan and 60mm dual fans for exhaust. The reason i had to get the zalman is because the intel one that came with the processor was bad from the beginning. While it was running, it was hitting the heatsink itself and that got old very very fast. so the fan itself was a bit of an emergency fan, if you know what i mean.

That fan isn't even made for the 1155(2nd gen i7/i5) socket! Invest in this for a low budget. Tell us your budget, then we'll recommend new coolers. That Zalman isn't going to cut it.

I thought that too about the heatsink. But i looked at the box and researched online while i was going to a computer store and it said that it was 1155 and 1156 socket. And that heatsink you linked is a little too big for my case. I have a thermal take lanbox lite. so only about 140mm clearance from CPU to PSU since it is right above it.

Good air coolers usually means a good, hefty size. If you want to invest in liquid cooling, I would get the Corsair H80 or H100. Or a custom loop ;)

Are you planning on overclocking this in the future or just running stock?
That must be a small case..hmmmm

Are you planning on overclocking this in the future or just running stock?
That must be a small case..hmmmm

Mainly stock since the machine is at 3.5ghz anyway. Plenty of power for gaming. But no overclocking as of yet.

That case is tiny, and that cooler looks interesting. But, it seems a bit pricey for what I think it would be worth. I've never said this, but have you tried using the stock intel cooler? Low profile, and alright for stock clocks.

That case is tiny, and that cooler looks interesting. But, it seems a bit pricey for what I think it would be worth. I've never said this, but have you tried using the stock intel cooler? Low profile, and alright for stock clocks.

I did, but the one that the cpu came with, was defective. The fan was loose so it was hitting the heatsink. It got old very fast.

Have you tried running the test with the chassis open? You might be getting too much thermal buildup inside the case, if that is whats going on, you might just need new case fans.

Have you tried running the test with the chassis open? You might be getting too much thermal buildup inside the case, if that is whats going on, you might just need new case fans.

I might just scrap the case and just use my coolermaster CM690. Only thing with it is, it just a big case, and the space i am putting it in, just has no room for it. But i know for a fact that it has a lot of cooling with it.

Alright guys, I think i did it. I ended up getting a coolermaster elite 343 case and a zalman CNPS 9500 heatsink, and boy that make a difference. I love the configuration and the size of the 343, and only 40 bucks. Heatsink also 40 bucks. Idle temps dropped about a couple of degrees but i just ran Intel Burn test 5 times, and all the cores averaged about 66C, which is awesome compared to the zalman 7000 which ran them 90C+. So I am very happy now :D.

Back