• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 3770K Stock Cooling - Bad Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goose90proof

I am not overclocked. I'm using the stock Intel fan & heatsink on my 3770K. At idle, my temperatures are ~49 C. When I run the f@h client my temps will incrementally climb up to 90 C before I kill the program. Typically, temperatures will peak at a certain point, but mine will continue to rise if I just leave it be.

I know this is not normal. I took off the heatsink, removed the chip, and cleaned both. I then re-inserted the chip and applied a small, pea-sized amount of arctic silver 5. I then re-installed the heatsink. I made sure that it was properly seated in the motherboard before closing her up.

I'm still getting these dangerous temperatures with no safe peak! What am I doing wrong here? My H220 just came in the mail, and I'm prepared to install it, but I wanted to do some before and after testing first. Any advice?

Ya check the vcore isn't being pushed too high on its auto setting at stock. I don't know stock averages for Ivy bridge so I can't give you a number. But perhaps the auto is set too high.

Arctic silver 5 is still solid but I stopped using it as there are better products (mx2-4) that have no cure time.

Idle: ~0.928 (0.928-0.968)
Folding: 1.056

I've never attempted to overclock this thing. It's been like this since I got it last month. I can't remember if I cleaned off the manufacturer's thermal paste or not, but I believe I did. I think I've been using arctic silver 5 from the beginning.

What software are you using to read the core temp's, and what does the Hardware Monitor section of the BIOS show as the CPU Temp?

Updated the BIOS. Temperatures increased. BIOS reported 70C, HWmonitor reports 57C.

vcore now hitting a max idle of 1.088v. Idle low is same as before 0.928.

Hmmm... I will put my google fu to use. Thanks for your insight. Do you think it would be more likely that the board itself is defective. I'm not discounting the idea that the BIOS is bad, but I think I would've noticed more bad reviews when I shopped for it.

I'm thinking bad mount regardless. Those Intel coolers, even if you think you have it mounted right, its not.

I assume realtemp matches hwmonitor temps?

When the CPU is 90c is the heatsink warm to the touch?

I am not overclocked. I'm using the stock Intel fan & heatsink on my 3770K. At idle, my temperatures are ~49 C. When I run the f@h client my temps will incrementally climb up to 90 C before I kill the program. Typically, temperatures will peak at a certain point, but mine will continue to rise if I just leave it be.

I know this is not normal. I took off the heatsink, removed the chip, and cleaned both. I then re-inserted the chip and applied a small, pea-sized amount of arctic silver 5. I then re-installed the heatsink. I made sure that it was properly seated in the motherboard before closing her up.

I'm still getting these dangerous temperatures with no safe peak! What am I doing wrong here? My H220 just came in the mail, and I'm prepared to install it, but I wanted to do some before and after testing first. Any advice?

The stock cooler is working normally. 45c/90c is a believable temp. 1.1v should be stock @ 3500mhz.

Turn the Turbo off and see if that helps temps. If it's running 3.9ghz with F@H like mine does with turbo on, your probably exceeding the cooler capability.

No doubt case flow makes a big difference too. Maybe change the intake exhaust configuration around a little and see what happens to the temps. That would make a good lead in how your going to set up case flow for the H220 too maybe.

The stock cooler should work fine with turbo clocks...since those are essentially stock. Intel doesn't make coolers that can't cool its load off at stock speeds. ;)

The stock cooler should work fine with turbo clocks...since those are essentially stock. Intel doesn't make coolers that can't cool its load off at stock speeds. ;)

Man I had this same experience with my stock cooler though. I thought it was normal to see 90c on it. Just because the AMD's are practically the exact same way.

No room for OC and lucky to withstand the stock clocks :eh?:

I've overclocked stock voltage on them. Doing it now with I3 3225. Not much at all mind you, just boost clock all the time +100mhz maybe, 4ghz?

Its in an htpc, and around 23c room I have seen it hit the 70s.

I've overclocked stock voltage on them. Doing it now with I3 3225. Not much at all mind you, just boost clock all the time +100mhz maybe, 4ghz?

The 3770K adds v-core while turbo. My cooler couldn't do it. I suppose manually set up and forced 1.1v or lower @ 4ghz would be ok.

Didn't bother long though. I tested it and placed a water block on it like any good shrimp would :clap:

I went ahead and installed the H220. I was so anxious to get it installed that I didn't even bother to take pics. Oh well... Temperatures have vastly improved like night and day. I'm now reading an average 35C (high 37C) at idle, and average 56C (high 58C) while folding. I knew the Intel stock cooler was ****ty, but damn. Folding is probably the most CPU intensive work I do on this pc. I'm just shocked I couldn't get more work out of the stock cooler. Like EarthDog said, it's stock equipment, it should work at stock settings on full load. I thought I'd even be able to get a few extra hertz out of it while locking in the base clock and multiplier before really juicing it when I installed the H220. However, I may be overestimating the capability of the hardware to operate in the warm and humid environs of the south american climate. :p

Tomorrow I think I will set about getting a stable overclock for this bad boy. I've got some headroom now. :thup:

Back