• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i7-3820 & Sabertooth X79 - Driving me BONKERS! (RMA'd Twice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My Sabertooth shipped with the 0906 BIOS. The revision on my CPU is C2. The 3820 is the only processor that the board has ever run. As for issues with the DRAM_LED, nothing. System came together fine and posted first time.

Are you buying local or online? If it's local you might be able to bring your board and chip down to the store and try out some other ram etc. I'm pretty sure the place I buy my gear from (Memory Express) would do that for me if I was having the same kind of grief that you're experiencing.

I have post now.. little embarrassed and I can definitely tell I have not done a build in some time. I did try the bios flashback upgrade and it seemed to flash it okay, but it still did not post afterwards, then I just placed 1 module in the very right hand slot (C1) and it posted. But it looks like even though you can use the USB flashback method, it does not actually apply the bios until it posts anyway. So I cannot say for sure that it was the bios upgrade or just placing 1 module in the first slot. Or maybe it does still apply changes to the bios and the loading screen after post that I saw was something different entirely, I hope this gives some insight.

I read this thread, felt sympathy for Randyman as I tried just about the same things. Then I realized I could update to bios 0906 WITHOUT TURNING THE POWER ON or even needing to POST.
So I grabbed a USB drive, put SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-0906.ROM renamed to SABERX79.ROM on it. Loaded that, went and got something to drink... and wham, it worked fine when I came back.

This is after about a month of trying to get $600 in RAM supported on the box.
I'm running GSKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD and ASUS had even said it was the MB and that I should return it.

CPU is the i73820.

WOOT! I am pleased to report that Sabertooth X79 "MoBo #3" was a SUCCSESS! Instant POST with my existing RAM, CPU, PSU, Video Card, and Heatsink I was using on the first two MoBo's!!! I KNEW it wasn't anything I was doing wrong - but I was seriously starting to second-guess myself after the first two CPU's and MoBo's exhibited the same issues...

I'm currently running the 125MHz FSB Strap @ 126.5MHz for a resultant CPU frequency of 4.8GHz Stable @ 1.35v (stays below 70*C even w/o all of my case fans installed!). It's doing beyond 70gflops according to LinX! I'm running w/o Hyperthreading as none of my applications benefit from more (but slower) threads.

I do still have two of the i7-3820's (need to return one of them by the end of the month for my "advance RMA" refund), and I'm debating swapping them out to see which one will clock higher, but I'm thinking I should probably count my blessings and leave well-enough alone at this point :).

I have post now.. little embarrassed and I can definitely tell I have not done a build in some time. I did try the bios flashback upgrade and it seemed to flash it okay, but it still did not post afterwards, then I just placed 1 module in the very right hand slot (C1) and it posted. But it looks like even though you can use the USB flashback method, it does not actually apply the bios until it posts anyway. So I cannot say for sure that it was the bios upgrade or just placing 1 module in the first slot. Or maybe it does still apply changes to the bios and the loading screen after post that I saw was something different entirely, I hope this gives some insight.

Glad you got it working! I know I tried every stick of DDR3 I had in my possession in every slot (solo, in pairs, and in quads), and my first two MoBo's just would NOT get past the "DRAM_LED" issue (meaning no POST at all). Once you got the MoBo to POST, did it seem to be more lenient with your choice of RAM slots?

I read this thread, felt sympathy for Randyman as I tried just about the same things. Then I realized I could update to bios 0906 WITHOUT TURNING THE POWER ON or even needing to POST.
So I grabbed a USB drive, put SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-0906.ROM renamed to SABERX79.ROM on it. Loaded that, went and got something to drink... and wham, it worked fine when I came back.

This is after about a month of trying to get $600 in RAM supported on the box.
I'm running GSKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD and ASUS had even said it was the MB and that I should return it.

CPU is the i73820.

I'm also happy for you!!! Luckily, my RAM was only like $79 (I had the other "testing RAM" from other "in-use" systems), but even though it isn't listed SPECIFICALLY on the QVL, it runs at rated timings like a peach (4x 2GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2133 / 9-11-10-28 @1.65v ).

I also discovered that all 3 MoBo's came with the most current 0906 BIOS - so that didn't seem to be my initial issue - Go figure!!! For grins, I did try the "USB BIOS FLASHBACK" on MoBo #1 and MoBo #2, but to no avail. Just had 2 bad MoBo's in a row...

This is easily the fastest system I've built to date. I can't wait to get it all buttoned up, and put into use in the Studio!!! :attn:

Also on an off note, that DAW setup in your sig sounds bad ***. Is that a professional setup, or is that just your "basement setup"?

Well thanks for noticing :) It is my primary recording DAW PC setup that lives in my tracking room downtown. It runs at 32-Samples of ASIO latency for everything it does (no small feat with larger "realtime" sessions), so insane bandwidth on the RAM and CPU to the PCIe cards is paramount to allow as much resultant "horsepower" at these low-latencies as is possible (thus the LGA2011 is a perfect fit - hands down).

Anyways - We can mark this as "Solved / TWO Bad MoBo's in a row :eek: "

Rock on!!! :attn:

I know this has been dead for a few days, but my P9X79 + 3820 has been giving me fits too for the last 3 weeks. Been pulling my hair out chasing a ghost. I've got all sorts of BSODs, with dump files indicating system files are bad, which is usually a sign of bad hardware.

I think I've narrowed it down to bad RAM, but, I'm currently awaiting a reply from G.skill regarding installs with different kits.

It's frustrating because you think you have fixed the issue, then BAM! more problems and BSODs lol. Someone should start a sticky of X79 hardware, and post any compatibility issues you've had, and how they were fixed (like with a link to the post or something).

Throughout my course of troubleshooting I've found that it's difficult to dig up information because the chipset is so new, and the information is spread out all over the place.

Any mods agree?

Hey guys,

I had the same issue. The problem isn't RAM. The problem is that the motherboard was shipped with their old BIOS firmware (0802), which doesn't support the new processors, anything except the M0 version of the i7-3820. You need to update your BIOS to 0906.

Follow this guide on updating your BIOS:
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE

This doesn't need RAM or a CPU to update the firmware, it's great. Follow the video if you need assistance. Make sure not to turn your system off, but if you do, no problem, follow the guide again.

Enjoy the GREAT motherboard!

Hey guys,

I had the same issue. The problem isn't RAM. The problem is that the motherboard was shipped with their old BIOS firmware (0802), which doesn't support the new processors, anything except the M0 version of the i7-3820. You need to update your BIOS to 0906.

Follow this guide on updating your BIOS:
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE

This doesn't need RAM or a CPU to update the firmware, it's great. Follow the video if you need assistance. Make sure not to turn your system off, but if you do, no problem, follow the guide again.

Enjoy the GREAT motherboard!

Thanks for joining to make this post :).

In my case, the problem (or, one of them) is the RAM. The first thing I did was update to the 0906 BIOS when I bought it. That, and update everything to latest version. Been down that road lol.

It is a good point you make though, that the BIOS should be updated for the 3820 CPU, I'm sure that also has some people pulling their hair out.

Not a problem. I'd like to try and save the time other people will spend RMA'ing motherboards or the time on the phone with the technical support at asus, who will only tell you to use the memory on the QVL... That's a bunch of bunk.

The moral of the story is to update your BIOS.

Hopefully some people found this helpful. Cheers. :)

FWIW - I can confirm that at least my 2nd "bad" board had BIOS 0906 installed as it had a sticker indicating such. It still gave me issues. I believe my first board also had 0906 on it, but I can't say for sure.

All I know is that my 3rd MoBo worked "off the bat" - and is screaming along with the exact same components that caused the "DRAM_LED" light to light-up on the first two MoBo's. All 3 MoBo's shipped from Newegg in a ~2 week timespan - so I really do believe that all 3 of my MoBo's alrerady had 0906 loaded, and I just got two "duds" in a row...

Regardless, all of my "bad" parts have been RMA'd, and I should be in good shape w/o losing too much "out of pocket" (mainly the stock Intel Heatsink for troubleshooting and some one-day shipping fees).

:cool:

Cant boot anymore after updating a newly acquired boards... **** happens...

Hello folks,

Ive bought a Sabertooth X79 which arrived yesterday. So I have put all the hardware together (i7 3930k C2, 4x 4GB 1833MHz Corsairs, etc.) and booted it successfully. It had the BIOS 0906 but I have updated the BIOS via a USB 3.0 16GB-Stick - prepared with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool + real Win98Se start disk - to BIOS 1104 and when the problems have started...
- BIOS update in DOS mode via the Asus tool "bupdater /iNEWROM.ROM /pc /g". For no reason bupdater has asked me for the ROM to update (altough Ive provided it with /i... already) and I have selected it again in the GUI file browser it has presented.
- bupdater has updated the BIOS correctly - so it said - and asked me for restart.
- Ive pressed CTRL+ATL+DEL and for no real reason Ive decided to start anew and have shut down the computer before the BIOS screen has appeared

-> First problem: I think that here something has gone wrong. After Ive started the PC again -> Black screen, no reaction.

- Ive put the ASUS DVD - provided with the Sabertooth X79 - in die BD-Reader, but there hasnt been any reaction like before with black screen.
- After googleing Ive decided to update the BIOS with Asus Flashback via USB-Stick next to the BIOS Flashback Button at the backpanel: Ive shut down the PC, used the OLD.ROM (0906) I have backuped before the whole update process, renamed it to SABERX79.ROM and put it on the same newly formatted (FAT32) usb 3.0 16gb stick, pressed the BIOS Flashback Button for 3 seconds and have waited the update process (30secs - 60secs).

-> Second, bigger problem: And after this step I have more sincere problems then before. When I start my PC now, it cycles ON, OFF in 2-3 seconds interval. It just stops when I switch off the power supply.

- ASUS flashback still operates. Ive tested it again and again with the newest ROM (1104) and backup ROM (0906), but the problem stays.

Ive already ordered a new BIOS chip of an ebay shop to replace the BIOS chip on the board. But I think that there must be a solution to fix it on another way without contacting the RMA (-> Too long procedure) or replacing the BIOS chip (-> Lesser but still long procedure, the ordered BIOS chip comes from netherlands and Iam in germany...).

Ive read some threads and got some ideas and want to try it out, now:
- Pulling out RAM (Ive 4x4GB Corsair RAM installed right now) and reducing it to 1 module which is plugged in the C1 ram slot.
- Using other RAM modules.

But I have no other ideas, now... Any help is very appreciated. Thank you guys.

Spencer

Last edited:
Ive pluged everything out of the mainboard, but the CPU, cooler, the 24 + 8 pin power plugs for the mainbaord and the case cables (power, reset, power led).

Same reaction. System start, shutdown in ~2 seconds interval: Starts and runs 2 seconds, shut down afterwards, starts in 2 seconds again and so on... The BIOS is more than dead, zombie mode... No beeps, nothing because RAM and graphic card fails.

Just one option is left: ASUS Flashback. This is still running and have caused the mayor problem. Super. And bupdater sucks as well (why not keeping the old update tools instead of making tools on their own with the risk that it can get buggy?)...

EDIT

Tryed out ASUS flashback again:
- Downloaded BIOS 0906 of the ASUS webpage and flashed my board with it.
- CMOS Clear.
-> Same thing.
(The mainboard has noting pluged in except CPU, power and case cables - no ram, no graphics).

I will update the thread when there is something new. But I think that there's nothing left to revive the BIOS. I have to wait for the new BIOS chip and see...

EDIT2

Noticed that the CPU-LED is lit which signalizes problems with the CPU. Read in other forums about bent pins, too. Need to check it out.

EDIT3

Jep, bent pins... strange. The mainboard was working yesterday (first boot) and after the BIOS update it became defect. Why does it work at the first boot? I cant imagine how pins bent on their own during runtime... Or the board was more tolerant at first...

Spencer

Last edited:
Greetings,

I recently encountered a similar issue on the x79 platform with Core i7 3820. And I could use some help.

All parts brand new out of the box.

No POST, No Beep Codes, Red CPU Light. :(

Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820
RAM: 2Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 x 6 modules
PSU: OCZ Gamestream 850W
GPU: 2 x evga GTX 260

I assembled the aforementioned parts all brand new. At first I went with a simple configuration just to get to post and see it detect disc drives, and start tinkering with the BIOS.

So I went with one disc drive, 2 modules of memory, and PSU, CPU, and one Video card for now. Flip the switch on the PSU and the green light is on the mainboard. I hit the case's power button and I get a red CPU light on the motherboard. No Beep, no Post. Power supply resets automatically after about 5 seconds, and tries again. Same thing, this just repeats.

When I powered it on, all the fans are turning all the case and 120mm fan lights are on. GPU fan is moving and the DRAM light on the mainboard is indeed off, as it should be.

But the CPU light is red, no POST, no beep.

So I do some research. The few problems people have had around the X79 seem to mainly be the DRAM light and memory incompatability. Much of these resolved by flashing the BIOS to the latest version.
Also it was mentioned a few times that the CPU was released after the mainboard, therefore some incompatiblities with the 3820 might be the problem.

So I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS straight from ASUS website, and renamed the .rom file and proceed to EZ flash it with USB. The blue indicator light blinks for about a minute while its updating and stops when its done. Mission accomlished. I reseated the CPU, and changed RAM modules. Just to be safe, i switched Video cards as well,and used the other PCI-E x16 slot. This time I was sure I had it. I hit the power button on the case and....you guessed it

CPU light is red, no POST, no beep.

I remove the PSU and swtich it out with another one from my other desktop that I can be certain works. Its an older antec 650W but it is still sufficient to meet the needs of one GPU CPU and 2 Memory Modules. I remove the whole works from the case to make sure its not getting shorted somewhere. No dust or contamination, the workspace is immaculate. Power it up...

CPU light is red, no POST, no beep.

I do not have another LGA2011 compatibile CPU to test out, and no other mainboard that uses an LGA2011 socket (its been a few since i've built a new machine), So I have no option to switch out a CPU or mainboard.

But I've replaced PSU, GPU, RAM, tried all configurations in all slots. Succesfully updated BIOS...just no luck.

Long story short, I called ASUS they agreed to RMA the mainboard after I went over what I had done to troublehsoot it. I sent it back to the shop. They tested the mainboard and to my surprise said it worked. So the RMA department where I purchased all the components asked me to send back the RAM and CPU as well and they will test the whole works.
I did that, they called me a few days later and confirmed my CPU was dud. Brand new out of the box and it didnt work. So they replaced it with a new Corei7 3820, tested it all out and called me back again two days later and confirmed it all worked. They shipped it back to me with RAM and CPU already pre-installed..finally I think I can finally get this build going.

I get it all back, reassemble it into the ATX Case, re-connect PSU and one GPU. Plug in one HD and one optical drive and guess what...

No POST, No Beep Codes, Red CPU Light. :(

This is about where I am now. I repeated the whole troublehsooting from before sending it off for diagnostics and still the same problem.

I am at my wits end. Any input would be appreciated.

when you try the RAM are you only using RAM from ONE KIT? Have you tried with only one stick of RAM?

If you take out the components (GPU, HDD, RAM) one at a time and all together, is the CPU light still red?

Asking about removing components piece-wise because you only had the shop test it with CPU RAM and board.

Hello Rysq,

damn it, I can really feal how it is like by reading your post :rain:

A friend of mine had a very strange problem - ill tell you, perhaps it will help:
After he put his new components together (SandyBridge, Intel Board, etc.) he had problems starting the PC. He went also to the minimal configuration but no success in booting up the PC. Later he recognized that a case screw which was used to fix the mainboard to the case caused the problem.

Built up your hardware outside the case and try starting it. Use a mininmal configuaration.

Spencer

Last edited:
Asus Sabertooth x79 RAM issues

I too have recently purchased an Asus Sabertooth x79 lga 2011 board, was a stickler to get all recommended components.

Intel Core i7-3930K

EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi)

Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Which is in QVL list on both Asus and G.Skill as compatible. Will need overclocking when stable.

2x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD (Raid OS setup)

1 WD Caviar 1Tera second drive 7200rpm

1 Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/USB Port

SYBA SY-HUB50041 USB 3.0 + Firewire + eSATA Multi I/O Front Panel

All packed into
Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Steel Full Tower Computer Case Colorshift Fans

I have had 3 sets of ram all from G.Skill different configuration, but still dimm A1 reads as Abnormal and the system uses only 12 gig of the 16gig I have installed. In bios you can see the ram on the board it reports A1 has ram but won't drop the Abnormal error. I have gone through many tear downs and rebuilds checking for something as daft as a screw under the board possibly causing a short, removing the cpu to check pins, reseat it, and the reseat of the cooler. I have got it to post, windows installed successfully, flashed bios, however the ram is wrong no matter what I try so I have RMA the board now.:screwy: I have read so many bad experiences with this board and ram that if the second board comes and still has ram issues I will be looking for another 2011 board. This is my first build and I'm a chick so it's all been new to me and I have to say impressively successful until the ram. I've even managed to raid the two OCZ ssd's and set OS on them. It all worked out on the first power up with exception of the A1 dimm.:confused: I have done everything pulled plugs and replugged to ensure each are connecting proper. reseated ram a million times as well as swapping it out with 3 different speeds, loosen the board screws as well as the cooler screws to be sure nothing was overly tightened and last but not least the CMOS trick. I've read somethings here about psu that confuse me about pins and connections. I really would love to have someone help me with overclocking, as I bit off a bit more than my brain can compute in getting 2133 ram. So I guess none of us are losing our heads Asus is just providing bad boards .. it's nice to have some company in the ram mind boggle.:bang head

Read this post.

IF YOU MIX SETS OF RAM WITH THE 2011 SOCKET BOARDS, YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE PROBLEMS!!!

Sorry about the all caps, but seriously, it is not like the old days when you could just match part numbers (and maybe not even them) and throw them in your system. They actually program the XMP settings per set, and if you don't have a matched set, they ARE NOT covered by the QVL (in other words, if you buy two separate sets of RAM, both of which are listed on the QVL, they ARE NOT guaranteed to work).

Hope this helps.

I too have recently purchased an Asus Sabertooth x79 lga 2011 board, was a stickler to get all recommended components.

Intel Core i7-3930K

EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi)

Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Which is in QVL list on both Asus and G.Skill as compatible. Will need overclocking when stable.

2x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD (Raid OS setup)

1 WD Caviar 1Tera second drive 7200rpm

1 Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/USB Port

SYBA SY-HUB50041 USB 3.0 + Firewire + eSATA Multi I/O Front Panel

All packed into
Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Steel Full Tower Computer Case Colorshift Fans

I have had 3 sets of ram all from G.Skill different configuration, but still dimm A1 reads as Abnormal and the system uses only 12 gig of the 16gig I have installed. In bios you can see the ram on the board it reports A1 has ram but won't drop the Abnormal error. I have gone through many tear downs and rebuilds checking for something as daft as a screw under the board possibly causing a short, removing the cpu to check pins, reseat it, and the reseat of the cooler. I have got it to post, windows installed successfully, flashed bios, however the ram is wrong no matter what I try so I have RMA the board now.:screwy: I have read so many bad experiences with this board and ram that if the second board comes and still has ram issues I will be looking for another 2011 board. This is my first build and I'm a chick so it's all been new to me and I have to say impressively successful until the ram. I've even managed to raid the two OCZ ssd's and set OS on them. It all worked out on the first power up with exception of the A1 dimm.:confused: I have done everything pulled plugs and replugged to ensure each are connecting proper. reseated ram a million times as well as swapping it out with 3 different speeds, loosen the board screws as well as the cooler screws to be sure nothing was overly tightened and last but not least the CMOS trick. I've read somethings here about psu that confuse me about pins and connections. I really would love to have someone help me with overclocking, as I bit off a bit more than my brain can compute in getting 2133 ram. So I guess none of us are losing our heads Asus is just providing bad boards .. it's nice to have some company in the ram mind boggle.:bang head

Sounds like you have a bad board.

Read this post.

IF YOU MIX SETS OF RAM WITH THE 2011 SOCKET BOARDS, YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE PROBLEMS!!!

Sorry about the all caps, but seriously, it is not like the old days when you could just match part numbers (and maybe not even them) and throw them in your system. They actually program the XMP settings per set, and if you don't have a matched set, they ARE NOT covered by the QVL (in other words, if you buy two separate sets of RAM, both of which are listed on the QVL, they ARE NOT guaranteed to work).

Hope this helps.
Sorry I don't mean I have 3 different kinds in it .. I mean I have tried 3 sets of all matching 4x4, with each I tried a new different speeds and all were g.skill, and they are all listed in QVL by both Asus and G.Skill. First I used 4x4 g.skill 1600 no luck forgot the what they called them ... now I'm on my 3rd set of g.skill this 4x4 is the Ripjaw z series Quad Channel F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH 2133 ... every 4x4 (all 4x4 are matching sets) I've used has dimm A1 Abnormal using only 3 sticks of ram leaving the 4th with all the correct information recognized by the board in bios but says Abnormal A1 Dimm and cheats me of 4 of the 16 gig. I got my new board today and same thing, dimm A1 reads Abnormal so I'm stuck @ 12 gig of ram instead of the 16 I have on the board:shrug: I'm stumped how to resolve it. Thanks for the reply though:) Even though I didn't wasn't dizzy enough to mix different sticks of ram like an airhead. lol

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a bad board.

Hi Wingman99
Thanks for the reply. I RMA the board, my new one arrive today, and sadly no luck. Still Dimm A reports all the correct specs on the stick of ram but says Dimm A1 is Abnormal. So I'm not sure what to do now. I even went to bios and set it to XMP #2 as it had the correct stats for the ram, but still only uses 3 of the 4 sticks. I'm so frustrated, but thanks for the response ... least I know folks are reading it :thup: Hopefully I'll find a skilled overclocker as this is my first build and most of what I've seen is not making any sense to me. :confused:

Cheers!

Back