• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i7-3820 & Sabertooth X79 - Driving me BONKERS! (RMA'd Twice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi Wingman99
Thanks for the reply. I RMA the board, my new one arrive today, and sadly no luck. Still Dimm A reports all the correct specs on the stick of ram but says Dimm A1 is Abnormal. So I'm not sure what to do now. I even went to bios and set it to XMP #2 as it had the correct stats for the ram, but still only uses 3 of the 4 sticks. I'm so frustrated, but thanks for the response ... least I know folks are reading it :thup: Hopefully I'll find a skilled overclocker as this is my first build and most of what I've seen is not making any sense to me. :confused:

Cheers!
Did you get the same board back? Have you tried running the board out of the case on the BOX it came in. If you done that i feel it's still a bad motherboard.

Last edited:
Did you get the same board back? Have you tried running the board out of the case on the BOX it came in. If you done that i feel it's still a bad motherboard.

Totally new board. I RMA'd and got the new board before the old one went back.. Thanks so much for your attention to my troubled ram I appreciate it. I watched some videos last night that suggest I take my cpu cooler off and remove my thermal paste, and applying a lesser amount, since it has spread out over the whole chip instead of being a round portion, then reseat my cooler diagonally to ensure the pressure is even and no air pockets. I'm not sure if it's even reasonable but I'm trying everything since I'm out of my own ideas as to what the problem could be. :confused: I have not tried running the board out of the case on the box it came and honestly have no idea how to do that, I'd wonder if you could elaborate? Again thanks for the ideas.

Cheers :)

If you run it on the BOX it will prevent any possible shorts in the case.

All you need to do is put the board on the box and install CPU and cooler,video card,memory, PSU and boot into Bios and see if all the ram shows up.

Just take a paper clip touch the 2 power pins to power up, unless the board has a power up button.

Also look at the bottom of you CPU and see if there is anything wrong with the conductive pad.

Also look at the CPU socket and see if there are any bent pins.

What a nightmare for your first build.:eh?:

Last edited:
If you run it on the BOX it will prevent any possible shorts in the case.

All you need to do is put the board on the box and install CPU and cooler,video card,memory, PSU and boot into Bios and see if all the ram shows up.

Just take a paper clip touch the 2 power pins to power up, unless the board has a power up button.

Also look at the bottom of you CPU and see if there is anything wrong with the conductive pad.

Also look at the CPU socket and see if there are any bent pins.
You are fantastic! I got a bit busy so it took me couple days to tear it all apart again. I did as you suggest, after I clean the CPU of the thermal glue I went on to clean the cooler contact as well then applied a smaller pea size amount, while it was out of the case I did exactly as you suggested only I started out with just the one stick in Dimm A1 and from outside the chassis, no problem with the dimm that's been the problem so I place the board back in the thermaltake chassis and couldn't get it to post. After trying a in and out the chassis a few times I just laid some lightweight packing paper against the back wall of the chassis put the board in and problem solved. I added ram one at a time, rebooting each time I added one and every time it was successful. Thanks so much for your help, I now have all 16 gig on the board up and running. You're a gem. :clap:
What a nightmare for your first build.:eh?:

Do you have your standoffs in place in the case?

Attachments

• standoffs.bmp
    18.8 KB · Views: 378
Do you have your standoffs in place in the case?

Yes I do. They all line up perfect but I read I should get a plastic one located at the dimm I'm having trouble with so as soon as they come in from amazon I'll get rid of the paper, and hope that resolves it. I was a bit concerned leaving paper there till they arrive but I see others who've tried the same thing with success.:shrug:

did you change the name of the Bios file to saberx79 to do the flash, the new stepping of the i7-3820 & i7-3930k is not supported without the bios update. Had heaps of issues with my mate's build he had the Gigabyte x79-UD3 & the only way to get it to run with his i7-3820 was to take it to the shop & get them to do the bios update as the only CPU supported out of the Box was the EEi7-3960X and they have no USB BIOS update option.

Back