• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4770k overclock problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeraoo98

Registered
Hi.
I'm kinda beginner in overclock... and i would like to get some help or tips with this one. So.. i want to OC my 4770k and i have low temperatures but voltage is high, so i can't go any further on multiplier, or it will become unstable.

My config is
CPU: No IHS Intel Core i7 4770K
RAM: 8 GB Kingstone DDR3 (4 x 2 GB)
MB: Asus ROG Maximus VI Extreme
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5850
(Overclocked to 950 MHz Core / 1250 MHz Ram @ 1.3 v)
SSD 1: 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K (RAID 0)
SSD 2: 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K (RAID 0)
HDD 1: 1TB Seagate ST31000333AS SATA
HDD 2: 160 GB Western Digital Blue
ODD: Plextor PX-891SA
CHASSI: Corsair Graphite Series 600T White Edition Mid-Tower
PSU: Corsair 650W PSU
COOLING: Custom EKWB + Corsair 240 Rad Water Cooling System & no IHS

So all my setting are pretty much default... 1333 ram and so.

100 BCKL and 47 multiplier. The voltage is like 1.47 adaptive and i dont want to go over that. The temps are 30 idle and 60 with RealBench stress test.

Is there somthing i can do to OC more? I mean the temps are no problem but the voltage is.

Thanks for any answer or advice. :)

P.S. I run no IHS CPU with Coolabaratory liquid ultra

Capture.png

1.47 volts is A LOT for 24/7, wow. I wouldnt go over 1.3-1.35 personally...

NOt sure what "real bench stress test is" but I am floored you are hitting only 60C, even delidded, with that much voltage going through the CPU..

Well.. it's not 24/7.. i use it about 5-7 hors a day. And then it's adaptiv, so it's not at 1.47 all the time. It goes down when idle. The Realbench is Asus own thingy

I do not mean literally 24/7. To make that your daily voltage is quite concerning. Having it be adaptive is helpful, but still. Too much voltage for "24/7".

Oh... right, now i understand. Yeah, that's high voltage and that's why i'm here. To get some help with it. I mean it is still a bit unstable. Can BSOD sometimes. So i don't want to raise it any further. Must be something i'm doing wrong. :(

Oh... right, now i understand. Yeah, that's high voltage and that's why i'm here. To get some help with it. I mean it is still a bit unstable. Can BSOD sometimes. So i don't want to raise it any further. Must be something i'm doing wrong. :(
...or your chip just isnt stable at that clockspeed with that voltage. If I was you, I would shoot for 4.5GHz and lower that voltage. a lot.

But is there a way to OC more without raising the voltage? Or is it the limit of my CPU? D:

But is there a way to OC more without raising the voltage? Or is it the limit of my CPU? D:
As I mnetioned, you are not stable where you are at with the voltage you are at. So, you are at the limit (voltage limit).

More clockspeed generally = more voltage.

Again, lower that overclock and drop your voltage to 1.35v or less.

So you mean there was no point in delidding CPU and i don't really need the water cooling at all?

Heh, IMO, delidding is only something you should do if you are temperature and not voltage limited. People are too free and easy to delid for no good reason (hell I don't delid FOR a good reason, LOL!). In your case, you are voltage limited big time. So yeah, no real point as you said.

So basically i wasn't lucky enough getting this chip that's not so good at OC. Right? I mean i was hoping for 5 GHz or somthin'

So basically i wasn't lucky enough getting this chip that's not so good at OC. Right? I mean i was hoping for 5 GHz or somthin'
5Ghz 24/7? Not likely at all with Haswell, no way. Your expectations were set too high.

Can the unstability be caused by somting else? The Cache? RAM? GPU?
The instability may be caused by something else, but its doubtful. You only changed the multiplier and voltage right? If you lower the overclock and leave the voltage does it become stable? If so, then its nothing else.

I did a full reset and setting i changed are

Bckl 100
Multiplier 47
Adaptive voltage 1.47
USB initialization - off
HDD initialization - only boot drive
Hardware fast boot - on
SATA mode - RAID

Will run a test that usually end up with BSOD (RealBench Video Encoding) for me cause' of OC and will se what happens

It completed the that test i consider the toughest one. I'll run some more other tests to check if it became stable... i think i know what the problem was..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 137
Some OC guid said it's good to match CPU Cache ratio with CPU Clock or having it 200 mhz slower... so i locked it up at 4,5 - 4,7 with 1,47 adaptive. Now i have it at stock... 3,5 i guess. Stable at 4,7 :)

Back