• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6700k Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clock_Work

Registered
So I just finished my new build last night and I have some concerns. My temperatures are fine when idling (sitting at around 25-30c). My problem is when I run Prime95. My temperature skyrockets instantly to 70-75c and then steadily climbs. When it almost hit 80 I stopped it. I'm cooling my 6700k with a NZXT x61 Kraken and I'm running it stock by the way. I was planning on overclocking but not until I figure this out.

I installed the 6700k on a MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME and have the Kraken's pump hooked up to the "Pump_header" on the motherboard and the fans to "CPU_1" and "CPU_2" headers on the motherboard. The pump seems to run at about 50-60% most of the time and the fans have a good curve. What makes me think that something is going on with the heat transfer is the water temperature. It seems to sit at 30-32c solid (or at least that's what the CAM software tells me) no matter what temperature/load my CPU is at. When my CPU is at 26c the water is at 31c when my CPU is at 70c it sits at 33c.

Oh yeah I'm not using the stock thermal paste. I'm using the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I spread it across the whole surface of the CPU with their "applicator" like they suggest. But I kind of want to try to reapply it using the grain of rice method and see if that makes a difference. Another thing is, when I was testing the motherboard before I put it into my system it had trouble detecting the ram. I read that it could happen because of tightening the CPU cooler too much and bending the board. I loosened it and reseated the ram and it worked. It wasn't that tight to begin with. I was thinking that maybe my heat problems are because the pump isn't tight enough on the CPU?

What do you guys think? Why am I having these heat issues on a stock CPU? The Kraken is supposed to be one of the best AIO liquid coolers yet it can't seem to cool better than my H60.:confused:

Edit: From what I've been researching, this thermal paste is supposed to be one of the best (which is why its so expensive). I have a tube of Arctic Silver sitting around. If all else fails, I guess I can give that a try. But I'm not convinced its the paste and not something else.

Last edited:
I gave up spreading thermal paste a few years ago when we ran a test in-house here at work. I have followed the debates that rage even today. I put a single dab of paste in the center of the CPU and place the heat sync on top. Doing it this way removes any air bubbles, pushes out excess material and ensures a near perfect thermal connection. Our in house testing showed it to be far superior. Prior to that, I had always carefully spread the paste.

I also have found that the difference from the old artic silver 5 and todays top performing paste is too small to justify the price difference. Your current choice of paste should be fine but so too should your artic silver.

I would say that your results show a bad thermal connection and I would use the grain of rice method.

edit: Too much paste is no good either.

I redid the thermal paste and I'm getting about 26 degrees on idle and about 60 on 100% load with prime 95. It doesn't seem to budge from 60. So it made about a 10 degree difference which is pretty significant. Not sure if that's normal for a 6700K or not... But I am glad that it at least doesn't keep on climbing until Hot Fusion is achieved.

Chip was good to 100c before it throttles.. 80c is nothing. We tell people to keep that cpu under 90c when stress testing. ;)

Temps look better now.

Chip was good to 100c before it throttles.. 80c is nothing. We tell people to keep that cpu under 90c when stress testing. ;)

Temps look better now.

I wasn't so much worried about the max temperature as I was about the temperature fluctuations. As much as 20% increase in load would increase my temps by 30-40 degrees. It still does but to a lesser degree. I would've been better off by just using the stock thermal paste lol. I came from an i7 3820 cooled by a H100i with Noctua fans and as slow as it was, I didn't hear a peep from it except when stress testing. No matter what game I played.

was this when you ran at stock? you should get 4.8 oc with a NZXT x61 Kraken. I got it with a corsair h100i gtx. you will need good air flow in your case too as the motherboard fan has been swapped with a pump.

was this when you ran at stock? you should get 4.8 oc with a NZXT x61 Kraken. I got it with a corsair h100i gtx. you will need good air flow in your case too as the motherboard fan has been swapped with a pump.

There is not guarantee he'll get 4.8GHz NZXT x61 Kraken or no.

Back