• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 860 delid disaster led to possible mobo failure (evga p55 sli)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kugutsumin

Registered
sp90gp.jpg
it's not very easy to see in the picture but I chipped the corner on the lowest component on the right side. Before anyone says anything, I was fully aware of the risks of delidding and of my stupidity for trying to put the chip back in the motherboard even after seeing the damage. When i tried to put it back on and boot, all power LEDs were on like normal before pressing the power button, and when I press it, it turns on the off immediately and keeps trying this in an infinite loop. Anyway i got a new cpu, an i5 750 put it on and the same thing happens. Could some components on the motherboard around the cpu have been damaged?
21cax3k.jpg
Another thing, when I move the jdb1 jumper over one from its default position the system powers on and stays on but will not post, what do these jumpers do and what might this indicate? Is this salvageable?

Broken capacitor, those super fine MLCC caps are more fragile than the CPU itself.

The mobo refusing to boot another chip is really strange, I can't figure out why it would fail, there's so much amperage the mobo would just blow the cap if it was shorted.

Maybe the CPU's packaging was damaged ad there was a rail-to-signal short.

when you put in the new cpu did you reset the bios? some times a deep cmos clear works, that is if it isnt the board. the constant rebooting, says the board works but something is amiss.

A damaged MLCC capacitor can be shorted very very easily. It's possible that it was shorted, and killed the motherboard.

More likely is that a pin got bent, or the BIOS got badly surprised.

Yeah i cleared cmos, no go. i've also tried two different psus. as for bios my board has dual bios, tried both. i don't think a pin got bent, i've examined it pretty closely. if one of those tiny capacitors on the cpu clearly had a chip taken off one corner is it very likely to kill the board?

I would expect the capacitor to explode in fairly convincing fashion if it were shorted to the point of killing the board.

I would take the battery out of the board and put a jumper on the CLR_CMOS header and leave it like that overnight, then try tomorrow.
I've had more success than you'd expect with that strategy, though generally with MSI motherboards.

Back