• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920. Cooling issues.... Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

closerenemy

Hello,
First off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Nick and I am new to these forums, but it seems like a helpful place so I decided to join in.

I Overclocked my i7 920 for Folding @ Home. I was getting some pretty high temperatures. I then realized that I needed to get a good heatsink. I bought the Xigmatek Dark Knight. It is a nice looking Heat sink. And I read a lot of good things about it.

Well I installed it, and everything seemed to be working fine. I only Over clocked my i7 920 to 3.4ghz. The temperatures while running nothing seemed pretty good (30-40 degrees Celsius). But as soon as I start using a lot of CPU percentage (run a Prime 95 test or start folding with an SMP client, ect) the temperatures get worse than what they were with the old heatsink. (Around 80-83 degrees Celsius).

I am starting to think that I may have put too much Thermal paste on the CPU. I did not line or bead it. I just spread it lightly around (that is what the dark knight manual said to do). I am thinking about cleaning it off and trying to re-apply the thermal paste. Is there a suggested way to apply the paste on an i7 CPU?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Nick

You could also buy some better paste ( MX-2 ) or something. If you really think you seated it correctly.

vcore ?

I have it set to 1.27 volts right now.

I am pretty sure I seated it correctly. Followed all the instructions. Had a little trouble with the backplate at first.

I guess I could try a different paste. I heard that the paste that they pack with it is pretty good though.

First, fill the cracks in the bottom of the Heatsink, where it will contact the CPU; as the Xigmatek uses the Direct Touch Heatpipes. Then apply a small dab in the center of the CPU (smaller than a Pea, but larger than a BB) and install. If you don't fill the cracks on the Heatsink base first, then they will redirect the spread of the TIM, when you install it.

When you take the HSF off, look and see what type of spread you achieved with your first mounting.

Honestly, the Dark Knight will struggle with the i7 (Overclocked) if you're using it for 24/7 folding/crunching. You will need to be very aware of your ambient temps, in order to avoid shut downs.

Back