• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 qpi/vtt voltag0/overclocking questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Merged duplicate threads... this is all about overclocking your 920 man... keep all your info one thread. This will help you and help those helping.

my apologies EarthDog.. much thanks to everyone on helping me get this far.....

I swear in 1366 every single Mobo is slightly different and in my experience it almost feels like these CPU OC's are Mobo Dependent when it comes to how far you can OC on ambient(read Air).
I've OC'ed 4 Different 920-930 I7's over the past few years(on dif mobo's) and most will do 3.7-3.8 - Those same CPU's may do 4.0-4.2 in a different mobo though.

But one thing is for sure that you will hit a wall with the chip where throwing more volts doesn't really help with much but adding more heat to the load temps and at that point its almost always better than to just stop because that extra 100-200mhz will just end up unstable or on the ragged edge of stable where a temp change or degradation will end up hurting you in the end..

When i RMA'd my mobo (Asus - P6T Deluxe) for this work unit that is running a 930, the prior mobo ran it @ 3.8Ghz before I ran into heat wall / Voltage wall. Now It Run's @ 4.0 Ghz no trouble And if it was under water it would def be 4.2 Ghz stable also but to much heat on a hyper 212 past 4 Ghz.

Other units i ran into a very similar wall @ 4.2 & 3.8 The big thing is Most will run different voltages and QPI settings as-well, which is why i'm sure its board dependent.

You have to work up your OC's from scratch basically every time, Their are guides out there but thats all they should be used for imho "Guides" if you try to just plug their numbers into your mobo you will have poor/varying results.

I've seen some boards that can run most settings at just Auto & some that need every single thing changed manually.

That said their are Definitely RULES you need to follow while ocing 1366 you will find those certain rules in the guides.

GL with OC.

1366 / 1156 Guides

Not sure that it helps, but I run my 920 with vcore at 1.3v and gets me to 4.0ghz. I have gotten it to 4.1-4.2, but at that point I was cranking the voltage up without much improvement, and it was getting hot. I keep it @ 4.0 for heat and stability purposes. Cant tell you want the rest of my settings are since I am at work. Can report back later if interested.

I swear in 1366 every single Mobo is slightly different and in my experience it almost feels like these CPU OC's are Mobo Dependent when it comes to how far you can OC on ambient(read Air).
I've OC'ed 4 Different 920-930 I7's over the past few years(on dif mobo's) and most will do 3.7-3.8 - Those same CPU's may do 4.0-4.2 in a different mobo though.

But one thing is for sure that you will hit a wall with the chip where throwing more volts doesn't really help with much but adding more heat to the load temps and at that point its almost always better than to just stop because that extra 100-200mhz will just end up unstable or on the ragged edge of stable where a temp change or degradation will end up hurting you in the end..

When i RMA'd my mobo (Asus - P6T Deluxe) for this work unit that is running a 930, the prior mobo ran it @ 3.8Ghz before I ran into heat wall / Voltage wall. Now It Run's @ 4.0 Ghz no trouble And if it was under water it would def be 4.2 Ghz stable also but to much heat on a hyper 212 past 4 Ghz.

Other units i ran into a very similar wall @ 4.2 & 3.8 The big thing is Most will run different voltages and QPI settings as-well, which is why i'm sure its board dependent.

You have to work up your OC's from scratch basically every time, Their are guides out there but thats all they should be used for imho "Guides" if you try to just plug their numbers into your mobo you will have poor/varying results.

I've seen some boards that can run most settings at just Auto & some that need every single thing changed manually.

That said their are Definitely RULES you need to follow while ocing 1366 you will find those certain rules in the guides.

GL with OC.

1366 / 1156 Guides

yeah i believe im at a wall at 3.8ghz at the moment with the current setup, im doing 3.8 with 1.20 volts and my 8gb ram is running at 1810mhz, ive got a tune saved for it to run at 4.0ghz but i had to throw like 1.28 at it to get it stable...ill wait until i water cool to go higher, but i might experiment with the 4.0ghz tune and see where i can make improvements

Not sure that it helps, but I run my 920 with vcore at 1.3v and gets me to 4.0ghz. I have gotten it to 4.1-4.2, but at that point I was cranking the voltage up without much improvement, and it was getting hot. I keep it @ 4.0 for heat and stability purposes. Cant tell you want the rest of my settings are since I am at work. Can report back later if interested.

seems about right, i gotten to 4.4ghz on air for ****s and giggles before with this setup (minus the h100) so i know its capable but i think i hit a wall at 3.8ghz or so..... when the ambient temps cool down here i might try again but 3.8 is enough for now

you are probrably to the point to where you will have to start adding pci bus speed to get it to work. when I had my 920 to get real high bclk's I had to move from 100.0 up to 116-117 to get it to boot. you should be good for now with it at 103 or so, and that should work to over 200bclk

you are probrably to the point to where you will have to start adding pci bus speed to get it to work. when I had my 920 to get real high bclk's I had to move from 100.0 up to 116-117 to get it to boot. you should be good for now with it at 103 or so, and that should work to over 200bclk

so far so good, im at a 191x21 (4ghz) overclock with 1.24v and its stable in linX on 10 runs which is good enough for me..... my question is if i go any lower i get a Bug check code of 0x000000f7 with a string DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER......any idea whats causing it? or could it just be a too low of a vcore?

Ok guys so rather then post a new topic im stuck and can't get past a 200bclk on my i7 920, i am currently at 195x21 and its linX stable but i as soon as i try bust through the 200bclk i cannot get the machine stable, the best i could do was 3 runs in linX before it errored, that was with 1.35vcore, 1.38qpi/vtt.... i have tried mixing around and tried adjusting cpu vcore up and down, same with qpi/vtt, same with uncore clock, same with mem multi.......its doing my head in.....the hottest it got was 81 for a fraction a second, i know that's not particularly a good temp but that was under linX it barely gets mid 70's in games

with the way that the dividers work, you will gain or lose efficiency depending on the exact value you are at. you may also find "holes" where the board wont boot and you can go more bclk and the overclock may be fine.
I had a gigabyte board that would do 257x21 but had to have the pci bus up to 116-117 to get it workable

with the way that the dividers work, you will gain or lose efficiency depending on the exact value you are at. you may also find "holes" where the board wont boot and you can go more bclk and the overclock may be fine.
I had a gigabyte board that would do 257x21 but had to have the pci bus up to 116-117 to get it workable

thats what i thought, i havent heard of an i7 920 getting past 4.4, and given i only need 1.23v to get to 4ghz im thinking that i need to adjust the pci-e bus aswell, what are the drawbacks and risks of doing that?

if you get too far out of spec,you can risk corruption of the hdd's. other things can get wonky, but that shouldnt be an issue untill you are past 108 or so to even be a thought

if you get too far out of spec,you can risk corruption of the hdd's. other things can get wonky, but that shouldnt be an issue untill you are past 108 or so to even be a thought

ok i dont think thats a risk i am willing to take :p ill just stick with 4ghz for now

The vdroop or static voltage plays a lot into it too. I've had my 920 at 4.2 stable on air for i forget how many years now. The EVGA x58LE was the easiest for me to overclock on. I also cherry picked a chip which in hindsight was a great idea even with it costing $50 extra over the normal price.

Last edited:
Congrats on the 4.0! :beer: I never had mine beyond 3.5...and now its just about to be retired.:salute:

haha thanks, suprisingly it got to 3.6ghz on near stock voltage, pushing it over 3.8 is when i needed to start pouring voltage into the qpi and vcore.....although im still onl on 1.275 vcore :)

Back