• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 stock temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dig0

Registered
I'm currently running the following:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield at stock clocks and voltages (2.8GHz, 1.28V)
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI LGA 1366 mobo
Cooler Master V8 with AS5 thermal grease

All installed in an Antec 1200 with good cable management and great airflow. Ambient temp of the case is roughly 20C.

The bios temp monitor tells me my system is running at 21C and the CPU is at 29C.

However, third-party programs such as realtemp, coretemp, and speedfan, all tell me the cores are idling at 40-44C, and reaching 74C at full load using Prime95.

I don't understand how the cores can be so hot at stock clocks and voltages. I have tried cleaning all of the fans and fins to ensure maximum cooling capability. I have also tried re-seating the heatsink.

What's interesting is that the onboard LCD displays 32C idle, and 58C at full load. These temps sound much more accurate for my situation, yet all third-party temperature monitoring programs are giving me extremely high temperatures.

If interested, I currently have three 120mm fans pulling air in the front of the case, and a 120mm side fan pulling air into the case. There are two 120mm exhaust fans pushing hot air out, and a top 200mm fan pushing out. The heatsink's 120mm fan is blowing hot air towards the exhaust fans. Every fan in the case is currently running at 100%.

Both of my GPUs are idling at 28-30C, so the overall cooling of the case is wonderful.

What could be the problem with these abnormally high CPU core temps? I was hoping to overclock this chip over 4GHz, but I'm pretty shocked at the moment.

I'm currently running the following:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield at stock clocks and voltages (2.8GHz, 1.28V)
A Vcore of 1.28V is >0.1V higher than the default core voltage (VID), as it should be closer to 1.12 - 1.15V or lower (the VID voltage range begins at 0.800V). Take Vcore off Auto, and manually set it to 1.12V at the default 2.80GHz, then run Prime to check for stability and monitor the core temp's.

A Vcore of 1.28V is >0.1V higher than the default core voltage (VID), as it should be closer to 1.12 - 1.15V or lower (the VID voltage range begins at 0.800V). Take Vcore off Auto, and manually set it to 1.12V at the default 2.80GHz, then run Prime to check for stability and monitor the core temp's.

Thanks for the response. I will try this when I get home tonight and post results.

My i7 930 Overclocked at 4ghz with HT on runs with 1.25v (Got a decent chip mind you).

As Redduc said; you should be sitting closer to 1.12-1.15v for that proc at stock. 1.1275 is a good spot to sit at if its stable for you there.

Your temps are far lower than mine overall though.. I hit around 70-75 with my current OC with 1.25v vs your 74 at full with 1.28v. So yeah you definitely have a well-cooled case.

But that said... OC that thing! Lots of temp headroom! :p.

My i7 930 Overclocked at 4ghz with HT on runs with 1.25v (Got a decent chip mind you).

As Redduc said; you should be sitting closer to 1.12-1.15v for that proc at stock. 1.1275 is a good spot to sit at if its stable for you there.

Your temps are far lower than mine overall though.. I hit around 70-75 with my current OC with 1.25v vs your 74 at full with 1.28v. So yeah you definitely have a well-cooled case.

But that said... OC that thing! Lots of temp headroom! :p.

This is a very refreshing post...I have no idea why I assumed 1.28V was stock. I guess the auto feature really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed with me this time. Incoming OC when I get some free time.

After lowering the vcor to 1.12, retaining the 2.8GHz stock clock, and running prime95 for 10mins, my temps on the 4 cores are 60C, 58C, 61C, 53C, respectively. Seems a little more reasonable, yes?

Yes but let it run for a few hours. Make sure its stable at that voltage. 53? To 61. Big gap lol.

I'm wondering why there are such big discrepancies between individual core temps. Could this be attributable to an uneven coverage of thermal paste? The temps at idle differ up to 9 degrees Celcius between cores.

I'm wondering why there are such big discrepancies between individual core temps. Could this be attributable to an uneven coverage of thermal paste? The temps at idle differ up to 9 degrees Celcius between cores.
My cores act similarly even with Indigo Xtreme which basically guarantees coverage. For example, at 25.1C ambient, my idles are running at 39-35C (35C being the last core as well).

Back