• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 980x - first overclock... could use some feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brian2one0

Recently just overclocked my i7 980x to 3.8ghz. Didn't want to go too high because it's an old card. It's my first overclock so I followed all the guides and read up a bunch on what all the settings do but could still use some feedback. I've ran a Prime95 test with these settings and didn't bluescreen. Highest temp was 68c.

Processor: i7 980x
Motherboard: Rampage iii Extreme
RAM: Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition 24GB
GFX Card: GTX 780

I have an aftermarket heatsink. No water cooling.

CPU-Z:

CPU Ratio: 29
BCLK Frequency: 133 (I read for 980x you can leave this at default and just up the CPU Ratio. I have no idea if this is true or not so help with this would be great)
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR35-1600MHz
UCLK Freq: 2400MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto
Load Line Calibration: 50%

CPU Voltage: 1.22500 (blue screened prime95 with 1.21875 with these exact settings)

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto (this is one of the settings I literally have no idea what to put it on. It's on Auto which means it's at 1.812v and that seems really high for what i'm doing. If anything any help with the PLL would be great honestly.)

QPI/DRAM Voltage: 1.21250
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64300

IOH Voltage: 1.11300 (I read the guide here for i7 overclocks and it says that if you are using 1 gfx card you should always set this to 1.1v. Is that true? or is that outdated information.)

IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto (it's at 1.508v on auto. It's another that I have no idea what it does and can't really find info on what to set it to so any help on this one would help a lot too.)

ICH Voltage: Auto (Auto is 1.11 again not sure about this one)

ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto (No idea what this is, With it set to Auto it shows that there is no voltage)

Like I said this is my first overclock so I feel like I messed something up. Any help would be great, thanks!

1.3-1.35 cpu voltage
1.85 pll
1.2 ich

jack up that bus frequency, set the memory dividers so it's as close as possible to rated speed, get that boy up to 4.2 minimum. :D

I had it at 4.2 before with settings like those but it would get up to 75c which is too hot for how old this card is imo. I'm fine with the overclock I have right now at 3.8 since it gives me stable 300 fps in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. That's the main reason why i'm overclocking my CPU because Source Engine is heavily CPU based. I overclocked it to 4.2ghz before and it only increased my FPS by 20 compared to 3.8ghz when doing a benchmark test.

I had it at 4.2 before with settings like those but it would get up to 75c which is too hot for how old this card is imo. I'm fine with the overclock I have right now at 3.8 since it gives me stable 300 fps in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. That's the main reason why i'm overclocking my CPU because Source Engine is heavily CPU based. I overclocked it to 4.2ghz before and it only increased my FPS by 20 compared to 3.8ghz when doing a benchmark test.

75 is not as high as you'd think. It can sit at that temp for its entire life :D

Mine restarts at 107c :cool:

Ah the 980x. :)

Still have mine that I bought off of Miahallen what 5 years ago?!!? This CPU is a tank. I can stream games at 1280 x 720 x 60 fps and still get amazing framerates from the game itself.

Rocking it at 4.2ghz 24/7 @ 1.28vcore aircooled. I even went as high as 4.6 for some benchmarks with no issue. You can easily set the fsb to 200, run a 21 multi. That MOBO is a beast also!

This gen of i7 was one of the best IMO.

every frame over your refresh rate of your monitor is a waste\headroom. Invest in a 144hz monitor if you don't have one.

every frame over your refresh rate of your monitor is a waste\headroom. Invest in a 144hz monitor if you don't have one.

yeah I have a 144hz monitor. An no not "every frame is a waste" there is a noticeable difference from playing at 144fps and 300+ fps. Maybe not with just random games you play casually but when you play competitively it makes a difference.

If you are running a 144Hz monitor I do not see how you will notice a difference between a steady 200fps or a steady 300fps as the monitor is still only displaying at a rate of 144fps in both cases, unless I'm missing something. If you are having frame drops below 144fps then I could see how you would benefit from a further overclock to improve your min fps. If that is not the case then as I said I do not see the difference.

Last edited:
The only way you would notice a difference is if you are dropping below a min frame rate of 144. Otherwise I am calling placebo effect.

First person shooters always benefit from more frames per second, at least in multiplayer.

I was just reading article about gaming engine input lag from the devices keyboard and mouse, with Ultra Street Fighter IV at 144 FPS it is 114ms, then about 300 FPS it is 59ms. The time for 500ms is half a second.

Last edited:
Back