• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 heatsink adapter question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodi2

Registered
Okay, so recently I got the i7 and a Zalman cooler, and a 1366 adapter. The bracket goes on the top of the motherboard, and it's screwed on from the bottom. For the screws, the bottom is screwed on with a screw and a washer, which covers the part of the screw which goes through the motherboard (so the screw's metal never touches the motherboard, it's fully protected by the washer). The problem is, the adapter only came with 3 washers, and I need 4 of them, so the metal would be touching the motherboard on the 4th screw. And it's unstable with only 3 screws in.

Would it be safe to use the screw without the washer, so the metal on the screw touches the motherboard? I heard from somewhere that this would ruin the motherboard and you shouldn't do it.

depends on how the mobo is made, usually they try to keep any traces away from the mounting holes, so it shouldn't do anything, but its better safe than sorry, just in case.

Back