• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 WC loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've never done this before, but +1 to what I already said. Put bluntly: You're not paying attention. This is not to cause offense, please don't take any; but you need to open your eyes to the simple truth that you won't be hearing what you want to hear because it is nonexistent. If you really want someone to tell you what you seem to want to hear, find a forum that doesn't know what they're talking about. :shrug:

Hardbutt you are! Sometimes it's the best move. Maybe we just should let the thread die. No clue, not worth our trouble. Wait for a post from the OP before posting anymore help.

So, all I want: A really cheap WC setup. for my i7.

"Really cheap" and "water cooling" shouldn't be used in the same sentence, unless you're a metalurgical genius with just the right machines and inventory just laying about. This is doubly true if you want your water cooling quiet. A word to the wise: Save up until you can afford to do it right. You seem like an okay Joe, so I'd hate to see you turn into a water cooling horror story. ;)

Methinks someone might be combining being a smart aleck and post padding but.....

Main question is ... what GPU(s) are you running. Makes no sense to water cool an i7 CPU for noise reduction if you have loud fans running on the video card ...

As stated before, the Noctua 1366 or other air HSFs are effective and relatively quiet. A GTX 260, 285, etc. is quiet at 40% fan speed ... but dominates the noise of the CPU HSF at higher fan speeds.

I'm running a GTX 260 Core 216 NOT OCed, at 25% fan.

It gets to about 55C at 100% load, since the 216's are meant for OC speeds, but I'm running em stock. It's as quiet as an ant peeing on cotton.

Glow your links are broke in your post, odd links too. With temps like that on the GPU, and I'm sure your running Furmark, the known standard for GPU stressing, you don't need to cool your GPU's. Must be a nice case.

Anyway, this thread is dead. You can't buy WC for a i7 for under $200, closer to $300.

With temps like that on the GPU, and I'm sure your running Furmark, the known standard for GPU stressing, you don't need to cool your GPU's.

Furmark gets it to 62C. well within its specifications, even though it never actually hits 62C when gaming.

Must be a nice case.

Antec 300. The nice thing is the GPU, which I'm running at an easy clock speed. Therefore it's very cool.

And you're right, I figured that I would never get any decent WC under $100. Therefore, I quit.

You could try searching the classifieds for good deals, though it's usually only ~10% cheaper than retail. Still a "nickel" I guess... Do note you need at least 100 post to view it.

If you do have tools and expertise to make custom parts, that might also save you money. Not sure about this though... Have yet to try it.

Don't listen to this guy. I got a high end water cooling setup for GPU + CPU for around $100 (not including tubing, clamps, and things like that though...)

I got all these components quite a few years ago, back when they were top-of-the-line
Swiftech MCP600 for around $30
Swiftech MCW60 GPU block for $20
Swiftech 220 for like $25

Forgot the CPU block name and price, but it's probably around $20-$30 as well.

You just need to spend a few weeks trolling the classified section on multiple OC websites.

Last edited:
Well once the OP can read the classies or find the used parts, sure you can make a loop for cheaper used parts. Biggest problem is finding a used block good enough for an i7, under $50 would be a surprise. They won't be selling cheap. Don't think he'll see a MCP355 or 655 selling for under $45.

I listen to Blazing Fire all the time, why not listen to him?

Why don't you find him a used parts list and post it? Prove us wrong?

Don't listen to this guy.
^This part is not very useful or appropriate. :rolleyes:

I got a high end water cooling setup for GPU + CPU for around $100 (not including tubing, clamps, and things like that though...)

I got all these components quite a few years ago, back when they were top-of-the-line

You just need to spend a few weeks trolling the classified section on multiple OC websites.
This suggestion was excellent! I agree if you have the time to wait and search you could get the parts from classifieds and the like. Personally I like to make stuff but that's just me.

As far as the fan question. You can have loud or quiet watercooling. If you use loud fans then yes it will be loud. But you can use quiet fans and have it be quiet. The beauty of watercooling is that water can remove more heat than air for the same flow. But you end up using air to cool the water.

One simple almost silent (albeit odd) option is evaporative cooling. You put a submersible pump in a large bucket of water and then circulate the water in your loop. No fans. As the water in the bucket warms it will evaoprate and lower the water temp. If the bucket is big enough this can work for a long time before you have to add water. If you are more inclined you could also put in ice or a fan blowing on the water.

Don't listen to this guy. I got a high end water cooling setup for GPU + CPU for around $100 (not including tubing, clamps, and things like that though...)

By the time you add everything needed, the price will shoot well north of $100. Even with used parts, it just isn't possible to cool an i7 effectively with that kind of budget unless you go air.

Aight, I'll try looking at classifieds, but in general, I'm getting the sense that it just won't work.

I will most certainly continue trying.

Glow, It's not that it won't work, maybe start with air then gradually step up.

I just put together my first loop, some of the parts have been sitting here for 6 weeks. Granted right now I'm cooling a C2Q, but when I was gathering parts, I was trying to keep an eye out for upgrade ability. I started my rigs on air, as i ran across deals on parts, I'd pick them up. Shop everywhere, if you feel the need to have it right now, expect to pay for it. As it stands, when I decide to go i7, all I might need to do is new cpu blocks. Pumps, rads, res, will all carry over. One part every couple of weeks doesn't seem to hurt so bad. FWIW, 2 cpu only loops and all I bought new was 1 rad, a few barbs, tubing, and clamps. The reason for the rad is I was getting impatient with summer coming.

Well once the OP can read the classies or find the used parts, sure you can make a loop for cheaper used parts. Biggest problem is finding a used block good enough for an i7, under $50 would be a surprise. They won't be selling cheap. Don't think he'll see a MCP355 or 655 selling for under $45.

I listen to Blazing Fire all the time, why not listen to him?

Why don't you find him a used parts list and post it? Prove us wrong?

Thanks Conumdrum :).

Btw, do listen to people like him. Go with air.

I use a Thermaltake bigwater atm which was cheap for my Q9450, and it keeps my core i7 at 4.35Ghz under 70C. I just bought the EK supreme for it and it works nicely.

I use a Thermaltake bigwater atm which was cheap for my Q9450, and it keeps my core i7 at 4.35Ghz under 70C. I just bought the EK supreme for it and it works nicely.

While that system seems nice, it's 775, and the waterblock you stated implies me spending money, which goes against the whole purpose.

.. stay as far away from thermaltake as you can with water cooling....

there are VERY FEW cases of tt kits doing anything. Badbonji must have great ambient temps.

Back