• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 WC Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, Just received my x2 MCR220QP's and my HK 3.0... going from my current single heater core and DangerDen water block... i'll post results and pictures when i get the chance... as of now, it may take a bit, because the wife is about ready to pop out a "Future Overclocker!!" LOL! ;-)

Good luck with the new parts. I need to swap in my HK 3.0 and my two mcp655's this week. Got to get my gpu loop together, but it looks like Im gonna have to buy a new psu to support the rig as a whole.

SO!
I have the basic construction of my loop almost done, but i am taking my time, and cleaning parts...

So, as i am on my way to cooler i7 OC temps, i want to try a different cooling solution. I have Feser One UV Red now, not Hardly UV and tainted my piping... and as i clean the residue crap outta my tubing and ensuring i am properly doing this install, I would like to use the Distilled Water with 4 drops of some fish tank stuff, dont care about pretty glowing colors anymore... My question is, Would any "PH-balance" "De-Alge" chem from a pet store work, the stuff you put in fish tanks? or is the Nuke-PHN 4 drop stuff? what does Nuke-PHN translate to in terms of cross compatibility with the Pet Fish water additive?

i may be trying to take my time and do things right, but i am tired of waiting on mail (since i am in military over seas) so ordering Nuke-PHN is outta the question (will use eventually tho) and i have some pet supply's here at my PX store.

Last edited:
Nuke-PHN is the stuff for running in straight distilled, and its active ingredient is Benzalkonium chloride 1.65%
and since its PHN, i assume that the N stands for neutral, so you would want something that wouldnt go about keeping the PH neutral

yeah, just got back from the store, i will just wait out 1 week for some darn Nuke... there is pH-Up for keeping fresh water stable, but thats not the stuff i am sure... i am no chemist!

i'll just stick to the real WC part's and pieces from now on... hell, that's how i ended up making this thread in the first place, i used a Heater core instead of a Swiftech... i just gotta stop being cheap and learn patience!

nope ph-up may be something like potassium hydroxide (a heavy alkaline) and has no place in watercooling. maybe the start of a battery going off if you try that in there #Laughs#

I doubt the PHN has anything to do with being neutral, the distilled will becomes acidic over time anyhow.

active ingredient of PT-PHN nuke is Benzalkonium chloride @ 1.65%

you wont find it anywhere where there stabilizing fresh water... with it poisoning it (thats how it works... by being toxic)

Last edited:
good info, i ordered some and should be here in a week.

After a distilled water leak test, I loaded up the Feser One liquid and am running temp tests since all is assembled and ready while i wait on the Nuke... i'll just have a lotta cleaning to do when it gets here.

i7 920 (D0) @ 1.31v, OC 4.0Ghz
Old setup: Heatercore and DD water block with x4 yate loon highs in push pull locked in at high speed:
Idle 39-40C
Load max/min 75C/71

New upgrades (same OC)
x2 Swiftech MCP220QP 120.2's and HK 3.0 and cooler master fans in pull config only on a medium speed (used these cause they can be speed controlled)
Idle 30-32C
Load max/min 59-62C

I guess i can call this post closed, only thing next would be to test the distilled only with Nuke-PHN... and maybe pics of my wired/tubed mess! And lastly, the "Squeak method" for HK tightness worked like a charm, i guess... only cause i havent tested out the caliper setting yet ;-P

Very impressed and props to all of you with your great input and advice!!

I'm getting my i7 920 at the end of the week, With the Apogee GTZ, MCP655, 2x 120.2 rads what should my temps be before I OC? I know they'll go up with the OC but is there a sweet spot? I saw 40c idles and 60c-70c on full load on this thread, is that the answer to my question?

My old V10 and C0 i7 idles at 35-38C with a load of 74, OC'd to 3.6ghz... NOW, in this new D0 set up on water OC'd to 4.0ghz, my idle is 40C but the max is 68C... should it be lower? any sugestions... oh, and i will try to re-seat the block again to...

Back to the original question at hand, the most likely reason you idle temps are much lower is because of the integrated TEC on the V10 cooler. Standard water coolings lowest temperature is room temp. the TEC can go below room temp therefore at idle it can do better than water. water is more efficient at the higher temps than the V10's TEC cooled by air.

I'm getting my i7 920 at the end of the week, With the Apogee GTZ, MCP655, 2x 120.2 rads what should my temps be before I OC? I know they'll go up with the OC but is there a sweet spot? I saw 40c idles and 60c-70c on full load on this thread, is that the answer to my question?

You should idle in the low 30's if not in the high 20's with an ambient of 60F room temps. It can vary. You should load the CPU at no more than 53.756C.:rolleyes: Your stock load temps should be under 60C.

You got a nice rig, your temps will be great. I expect you'll run out of OC limit by the chip and Mobo before the temps get too high. 120x4 rad is a LOT for an i7.

You should idle in the low 30's if not in the high 20's with an ambient of 60F room temps. It can vary. You should load the CPU at no more than 53.756C.:rolleyes: Your stock load temps should be under 60C.

You got a nice rig, your temps will be great. I expect you'll run out of OC limit by the chip and Mobo before the temps get too high. 120x4 rad is a LOT for an i7.

Thanks for that! now I know my goals. Whats wrong with overkill:rolleyes::D

Edit: Temps are at 27-28c idle with an ambient of 66f WOOT!

Last edited:
Back