• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 worth it for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At that resolution, I don't think you would see much of a difference between a 9800 and a GTX280, and even less between multiple cards.

If your seriously not planning on using resolutions over 1280x1024, then I would spend a LOT less on the graphics card. (I wouldn't go over a 4870 or a GTX260, you might be able to get by with a 4850/30 even)

Instead, I would spend more on the CPU. If you go for LGA775, your much better off with a P45/35 instead of a nvidia chipset, you'll be able to get much high clock speeds. A i7 would also be a good choice, if you can afford it.

EDIT: I like how long it takes me to reply.

If your planning on SLI, you should probably be at about 1920x1080. If your planning on buying something like 2x 280GTXs then you should probably be even higher.

1650x1050 seems to be the average nowdays. If your willing to turn the setting down just a tad, you can get by with a pretty cheap (9600gt) graphics card as well.

well a 790i is a pretty nice mobo for OCing quads, from all the reviews ive read.
And if i run my SLI in split screen rendering, would that be a faster SLI mode than Nvidia Recommended?, what about for lower resolutions.

And i really dont see the point in getting a massive screen and paying a few hundred just to slow down your frame rates.

i'm not sure why getting an i7 920 means u have less to spend on the graphics card. the 775 790 mobo isn't much cheaper than a X58 board so the only real difference is the ddr3 ram which is maybe an extra $150. if it was my money I would get the i7 and start off with 1 gtx 285 and see if you need another. if you decide later you can't live without sli then pick one up in a few months when the prices have dropped a few bucks.

To the op:
I don't see any reason to upgrade your system at all. If you are only gaming at 1280x1024, you won't notice a performance gain in any game, no matter what system you put together. Those 8800gt's you have aren't that bad, and are equivalent to at least a single GTX 260. If you're going to get anything, get a real monitor, so you don't have to wear reading glasses while gaming.

If you do insist on wasting your paper route money, do it on a core i7 system. You can upgrade to an x58 mobo, i7 920, and 6gb ddr3 ram for under $700US. The rest of your specs are good enough to hold you over until you can afford a top end graphics card. Don't even bother with a big graphics card though until you get a real monitor. Who gives a **** if your getting 2000fps? You can only see 24fps. You can get a decent 22" monitor these days for ~$200. That would seem like a jumbotron compared to the calculator screen you're using.

And i really dont see the point in getting a massive screen and paying a few hundred just to slow down your frame rates.

Unless you're going to get a bigger screen, there is ZERO benefit to upgrading the rest of your system. As mattgman said, even if your system can pump out 1000fps, if your monitor is only running at 60Hz, you can't see more than 60FPS anyway. If you don't upgrade your monitor, upgrading the rest of your system is just throwing your money in a burning trash bin.

i dont want to get an i7 because i dont see a good reason too, i mean theres no good bang for buck ratio (for gaming). And i think getting a better GFX card than a supposedly better CPU would increase my performance more.
And im on a budjet, so i dont want to spend too much which is why im considering a 790i.

and does anyone have answers to the above questions

So that in a years time you can buy better processors for your rig, or add more ram in a few years.

i7 shines in multiGPu set ups and it wouldnt suprise me if GTX 300 in SLI your CPU could hold you back, the i7 would be faster.

To the op:
I don't see any reason to upgrade your system at all. If you are only gaming at 1280x1024, you won't notice a performance gain in any game, no matter what system you put together. Those 8800gt's you have aren't that bad, and are equivalent to at least a single GTX 260. If you're going to get anything, get a real monitor, so you don't have to wear reading glasses while gaming.

If you do insist on wasting your paper route money, do it on a core i7 system. You can upgrade to an x58 mobo, i7 920, and 6gb ddr3 ram for under $700US. The rest of your specs are good enough to hold you over until you can afford a top end graphics card. Don't even bother with a big graphics card though until you get a real monitor. Who gives a **** if your getting 2000fps? You can only see 24fps. You can get a decent 22" monitor these days for ~$200. That would seem like a jumbotron compared to the calculator screen you're using.

Unless you're going to get a bigger screen, there is ZERO benefit to upgrading the rest of your system. As mattgman said, even if your system can pump out 1000fps, if your monitor is only running at 60Hz, you can't see more than 60FPS anyway. If you don't upgrade your monitor, upgrading the rest of your system is just throwing your money in a burning trash bin.

+1,000,000!!!

1280x1024 using SLI? That's like buying a Ferrari to get groceries. You only need 1 of those 8800GTs to run 1280x1024. Even Crysis will play smooth at high settings at 1280x1024 w/ just 1 of those 8800's.

Spend your money on a new monitor or 1080p TV, and watch the games and system you already have come to life!

Yes, a higher rez means your fps will drop, but it is for a reason...eye candy! You'll see things you never saw before, and you'll spot enemies at much further distances.

Also, i7 runs SLI much better than any nVidia chipset. For SLI or X-fire i7 is the only way to get max value from your gfx cards. On a limited budget w/ a single card an Intel P45 or X48 is the way to go.

Since you got the new monitor, I would keep you 8800GT sli and then do an i7 920, 6g of triple channel and a decent mobo (try the Gigabyte ex58-ud3r, not a bank buster but a really good mobo). With the rig in my sig, I have noticed a big jump in fps and 3dMark06 and vantage scores without ocing the cpu at all. And all I have is one 8800GT (my 4870x2 is coming monday :drool:) and im gaming on the same res you are now till my new 28" arrives with my card.

Here are some NewEgg prices on the mobo combo and ram. That's $738 usd, great deal (especially for the eVGA board). Hope it helps you out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.160459

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

Last edited:
i decided not to get an i7 because there really is no improvement in gaming benchmarks, compared to quads or even duals for that matter, IMO the only reasons to get an i7 is either for video encoding, 3DMark benchmarking or Quad SLI.

i decided not to get an i7 because there really is no improvement in gaming benchmarks, compared to quads or even duals for that matter, IMO the only reasons to get an i7 is either for video encoding, 3DMark benchmarking or Quad SLI.

Well, I guess you will be able to save a few on the setup, but I definatly notice an inprovement over my dual core with the quad.

There are benefits and it is faster, just for your needs, the performance gain isnt worth the money spent.

Going from 780i to 790i = waste of money. You're seriously ripping yourself off if you do that.

My advice for your rig? Buy a GTX 260 Core 216. That's a sensible upgrade, don't get an Extreme C2D/C2Q/i7 - they're only for the pro guys here using some serious cooling.

The core i7 is the best processor currently out for gaming and just about everything in-between.

Going from 780i to 790i = waste of money. You're seriously ripping yourself off if you do that.

My advice for your rig? Buy a GTX 260 Core 216. That's a sensible upgrade, don't get an Extreme C2D/C2Q/i7 - they're only for the pro guys here using some serious cooling.

I second this statement!!! Especially if on a budget. I have the 260's in SLI they are great!!! Like checking out the reivews with this video card and some older CPU's it'll do you some good!!

Or wait for the GTX 300 series to come out, and just keep you current setup.

Yes it is, but how much performance gain will this person get vs the money they spend - it isnt worth it for them, it would be a waste to pay almost $600+ to get what 5-10FPS if that in some games, if that, maybe more in others.

ok, just to clear things up here, the only reason im upgrading is because my motherboard doesnt OC well, i was the unlucky one that got the chip that doesnt work properly, apparently it happens to 1 in every 100 or 1000 chips made, also doesnt read my cards for SLI properly sometimes, and doesnt detect my SLI ready memory in the bios.

And thew 790i OC's better for quads.

Back