• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas that have made my overclocking easier.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
Over-clocking Tools and Essentials that can make life easier.

1. Access to other working computer to research info on the net if your over-clocking rig goes down.

2. Digital Camera (for screenshots to receive bios help etc). I think I wore one out taking pics for forums. Many current motherboards have an F-12 function to save a bios screen shot to FAT 32 Usb stick.

3. Calculator. What times what is what? Yes that is right.

4. Paper and pen. There is no way to beat good NOTES. My notes have re-established my thought process more than one time.

5. Benching & testing software. I use Prime 95 Blend, OCCT and Lin-X today for stressing system. There are plenty of Video ‘freeware’ benches that can be used. I like any test to be in vogue for the ability to gauge my progress against a norm.

6. Temperature monitoring Software. HWMonitor and CPUz a near must for me today.

7. Temp Probes (optional). I also have a Laser Temp Gun.

8. Workbench/test bench with anti-static type surface. Not the anti-static bag.
a: Can be used for assembly as well as testing.

9. Room Thermometer. I was surprised at the difference in computer temps when room temps rose.

10. Powerful stable power supply, with stable rails for your system load. Make sure you put in adequate research into this requirement, always select a power supply that is at least 100 watts OVER your required max current draw.

11. Either a pair of identical Sata drives (for raid), and/or a separate Sata drive for backing up your O/s and important files, using hard drive ghosting/imaging software. I used to have a spare drive within the case and still like to do so but also use external Usb drives for backup as well.

12. IDE Drives if needed to get system to boot if Sata does not work. Not really necessary TODAY.

13. USB Flash Drive. I don’t even know how many I have now that I make few bootable CD.s. I recently made an updated UBCD bootable Usb stick and it is a real time-saver. Took some work to update some of the applications that UBCD was using but worth it now that I have accomplished the task.

14. External or internal floppy drive. WELL I wrote this a long time ago. I have a good one that is still
bootable. You just never know what will crop up that it can come in handy. It took a long time to find one that was truly Usb bootable. I have it and will keep it.

15. Plain CD/DVD R/W Drive. I KEEP at least a Usb version on hand for real.

16. IDE, Sata, floppy, cables of good quality, latching types are best, don't skimp on cheap cables, they break easily and lose connection when moved.

17. Best cooling you can afford for the CPU and high quality thermal compound. Cooling is just too often overlooked and seems an afterthought to many. Check with thermal compound manufacturer for length of break-in time. Take some time to think out air-flow thru the case also. CPU Cooler is only as good as its’ ability to have the CPU heat removed from the case.

18. List of definitions and understanding of Bios terms and settings. Knowing the terminology can save hours and even days of frustration and headaches. Do the required homework and you will not be a dunce. Makes it much easier to say: Oh I get it!

19. LCD or CRT monitor. Go with the times.

20. PCI & PCI-E Video cards. (PCI 2.2 or later) Use PCI card for validating Bad PCIe slot.

21. Dedicated work area (if possible). This can make the working way more fun and a profitable use of time.

22. Manual for the motherboard you are working with (helps for initial setup). Oh is that where RTFM comes from?

23. Motherboard, Raid, and windows and benchmarking software as needed. Plenty of it out there now.

24. USB mouse/keyboard and ps2 mouse/keyboard, depending on conditions.

Must haves - as spares. Spares can really turn a bad day around.

1) A spare PSU.

2) Spare ram, even a spare stick of generic ram that boots at low voltage. I have always kept a low voltage stick of ram to get the hard to start systems after a very failed overclock.

3) Spare bios chip and bios removal tool. (Can save you lots of down-time if things go corrupt after an over-zealous over clock). Maybe not see easy to do with todays mobos but a few years ago it saved my booty many times.

I wrote this in 2006, if my memory is in anyway accurate. I think it was posted on sites that are now only history. Over the years of pursuing the hobby of overclocking, the forethought to adhere to as many points above as I could has saved me days of lost time and a headache that Bayer cannot fix. Being prepared as above has also made my trouble-shooting of others’ failed computers much easier.

Perhaps just knowing that there are steps to overclocking and that preparation makes the job easier, will save someone some grief.

Is this even a complete list? I doubt it. Others may have even more preparations and tools in their toolbox.
RGone…ster.

Last edited:
Back