• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idiots at Frye's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To BeerHunter:

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, your still retarded."

Mdogs444 said:
Hm like i said earlier, everyone seems to be taking this a bit too seriously...

I didnt intend to blow this up, or make it like no one knows what they are talking about. But if your looking to spend $130, and they are telling you its not good enough and that you need spend 1100$, then yes i have a big problem with this and they best know exactly what they hell they are talking about.

You get what you pay for. Frys is a discount store with temporary help. You can't expect them to be serious hardcore enthusiasts. Cut them some slack for the low prices you're getting.

We have a shop here in LA with hella knowlegable people, like us, but they charge $100 an HR for a service call and thier machines start at $2000. They have to charge that for high levels of competant employee. Go to a specialty shop like that, whether high-fi or computers if you want someone on your level. But you'll be paying.

Eitherway you know it's uncool to cut someone at work who can't really fight back or retort.

Well like i said, i went it knowing what i wanted. I dont knows alot about computers (overclocking wise), but yes i do know that $1100 will most likely beat out $130 performance wise. THats no secret. But if a 17 yr old punk and is going to put down the money i spent on something because his mommy and daddy bought him something better, you've got another think coming. I have worked in retail, especially places where you are NOT paid on commission. And the goal is this....

Sell someone what they need, not what you would buy if you had unlimited funds.

Also, dont lie to poeple and fill their heads w/ junk (ie s754 will not have compatible parts in 3 months?)

Okay sorry that was all my fault..I meant to direct it to Vrykyl's PC store employee not you CandymanCan - it was a joke meant no bad to anyone here nor the employee really, just a little joke hence the little smiley at the end. ;)

It's bad when people jump at every little opportunity to flame you. :(

What is the point in showing up somebody? You SHOULD expect a lot of Noobs in a low price discount store. I've seen my share at Best Buy. If you do your research (I'm no expert !) you don't need anybody to assist you. Read , make up your mind and ask if they stock XYZ? Simple YES or NO answer. If you are not happy, all it takes is a thank you and a quick exit!

I guess if you need to blame somebody its the Manager...he should have a minimum of 1 well qualified person who can step in when an intelligent consumer needs him.

If you have a problem with the staff write to the manager about it with a suggestion on how to fix the problem. Getting somebody fired isn't the solution.
NOBODY KNOWS IT ALL!!!

PS* I don't work for BB :)

Mdogs444 said:
To BeerHunter:

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, your still retarded."

Man... that's not cool.....People with disabilities are not to be mocked at.
I work with them sometimes and you would realize how unfair your statement seems if you spend 20 min with somebody with a mental disability.

Well that is a common net saying(dunno who started it, maybe someone who lost the olympics? hehe) so take it for what it is..still it's so klichée it shouldn't be used just for that reason..:p

Vrykyl said:
You think your pc store employees are dumb - you wana head over to the UK, go into PC World or any other high street chain and talk to a store worker - had one guy tell me my x800xtpe was outdated and that an fx5200 was what 'all the latest gaming pcs' were shipping with....
Wow reallly??? Dude Ive got a great deal for you then. Ill give you my 5200U if you give me your X800XT PE:D

...but yea, most pplz dont have a clue abotu what they speaketh

yea dudes relax, geez... gotta agree with hafa though... Just politely refues help when the employees ask for it...

CandymanCan said:
Actually getting someone fired over suggesting some ram to a customer, and because you didnt like the way he doing it. Its kinda stupide thier, I think next time when you hear something like this going on you should actually talk to the people (customers) and try to help instead, im sure you woulnt like to get fired from youre job because of something you messed up on or because some nosy person was listing in and tattle told on you.

This goes to Simguy

Messing up is one thing. Simply not knowing is forgivable too. Basicly insulting the customer *in front of his mother* and telling him point-blank that he is wrong is unexcusable. It also seems that they would have persisted that they were right even though another supposed employee told them otherwise. I'll admit that in retail I have to adlib a bit, but never do I tell a customer that a 30 gallon electric water heater is better than a 75 gallon gas water heater - thats just plain stupid. Also, you NEVER start low-balling the customer - always introduce the best product's features, then go to what you think they want or need. Retail is all about customer service, if an employee ever forgets that or refuses to believe that, they shouldn't work retail.

If ever in doubt, just remember, half the people around you are below average intellegence...

I have worked retail for very large number of years. One thing that I have learned is when someone asks you about something and you don't know, I always will say " I don't know, but lets go find out" or something very similar. Many times I had been able to upsell an item by genuinely not knowing anything about the product they were asking about. Sometimes you learn, qualities or problems by asking. Many times the customer already knows the answers, and very well could be the "mystery shopper" that will get you in trouble if you BS them too much.

I just wish that sometimes when other sales personnel don't know, that they would just ask as well.

Sentential said:
Wow reallly??? Dude Ive got a great deal for you then. Ill give you my 5200U if you give me your X800XT PE:D

An interseting offer mate, but I think il turn you down on that one ;) :beer: LOL.
Does anyone find in general that store workers can be really annoying? I love stores where the assistants leve you alone to browse, and only try and help AFTER youve asked them a question - when I go in a pc store (if at all these days - the internet is a wonderull thing) I want to browse, and only ask for help if I cant ind what Im after. To often these days store workers pounce on you in packs when you go into their shop....This happened to me the other week in a local clothing department store:

STORE WORKER - Can I help you sir?
ME (stunned in suprise cos iv only just stepped thru the door) - Erm, I dont know...?
STORE WORKER - Can I interest you in our new fantastic range of clothing? Some new shoes? Have you seen todays offers? H...
ME (interupting and grabing the closest item to hand and thrusting it at the assistant) - Do you have this in extra extra medium?
STORE WORKER gets the point and leaves me alone to shop in peace.

Back on topic tho - do any of these pc store workers actually know anything about pc's as part of their job? I mean do they get given basic pc knowledge training? as it seems to me they just get told what to sell and will bulls**t anyone dumber than them into buying it, regardless of what they actually need....

Vrykyl said:
An interseting offer mate, but I think il turn you down on that one ;) :beer: LOL.
Does anyone find in general that store workers can be really annoying? I love stores where the assistants leve you alone to browse, and only try and help AFTER youve asked them a question - when I go in a pc store (if at all these days - the internet is a wonderull thing) I want to browse, and only ask for help if I cant ind what Im after. To often these days store workers pounce on you in packs when you go into their shop....This happened to me the other week in a local clothing department store:

Yes quite a few of them are annoying, but I wouldn't mind chatting up that one pretty lady who absolutely lavishes attention, forcing you to buy something you absolutely don't want :) You may not buy it, but hey you'd walk away with a phone number :beer:

PS* Gotta love Costco!!!

I think everyone here is taking this thread a bit too seriously. Im guilty of it as well. But i have strong views on this. Someone here said it right, if you dont know, as someone who does. But still, if im going to be spending my hard earned money somewhere, the last thing i need is for an associate to tell me that my money isnt good enough because im not buying something that cost 5 times as much.

Back