• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im about to do it! My first c2d build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah now lets hope nothing comes DOA and my sink gets here asap! I will start ocing this baby asap! Can someone tell me average good temps for a mobo/cpu/gpu idle and load?

trendx said:
Before we get started dont forget that I am bringing over my 7800GTX, OCZ Powerstream 520Watt PSU, 74gb Raptor, DVD/rw drive.. Any comments accepted. Thanks again.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131025
Intel C2D E6600
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115003
Crucial 2 x 1GB DDR2 667
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820148017
Artic Silver 5
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835100007
Thermalright SI-128
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4...8_-_Athlon_64_and_Pentium_4_S775.html#options
Black PWM Fan Controller
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9..._6x_Fan_Controller_525_Bay.html?tl=g34c17s286

Ha yesterday was a good day for the Egg. ;) I ordered my E6600, P5W DH Dlx, x1900xtx, artic silver 5 <---lol and 2GB of mem only this is the set I picked http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220095.
I also ordered my MP-1 & MP-05 blocks yesterday. Looks like we will both be having some fun next week. :bday: (I'm going from a Northwood 3.0c/x800xt/P4C800E Dlx so I figure I'll probably be in for a shock at the performance increase. - At least I hope!) Anyway congratulations on your new build.

trendx, I actually had that exact same fan controller, and I must say I wasn't impressed with PWM controllers (not a huge range to control, and my delta fans made weird noises)... I instead got a sunbeam rheostat and have never been happier (aside from the blinding leds).

Very nice system man.. I am looking to build a C2D system myself, and have done alot of researching and am going w/ the same ram, but w/ a 6400 instead (I'm cheap) and am trying to decide on all the final things before placing a big order. :santa:

Just a question, is there a big difference between the P5B-E and P5W-deluxe? I'm wondering if the nice fancy coolers for the northbridge and whatever else are worth it? I'm debating whether I should get a P5B-E or P5B-deluxe..? Any thoughts?

Also, I was debating on which heatsink to get. I understand that you want airflow over the motherboard which is understandable, but is it really needed? I was reading all over and it seems like the thermalright ultra 120 is the best tower heatsink.. but I don't want the motherboard to not have ANY airflow...

One last thing I'm debating is which video card to get.. I'm honestly sort of clueless which to get, and any advice is appreciated. I'm still rocking a 9800pro in my socket A system and it's been a while since i've looked at vid cards. :)

Great system man, it looks like it should fly! :beer:

Yeah burdman i figured that fan controller was a peice when it sold for 8 bucks, i also read another review on it which said the knobs arnt glued on so i wasnt going to go with it.

Mikeos from what i heard if your going to get a 6400 its best to go with the P5B-E rather than the P5W. Also I would wait on your nb and cooler, see once u get your system up if your case has good airflow it shouldnt be a problem. I also went with the ultra 120 instead of that si 128 just because i decided to be pimp status. your motherboard airflow isnt something you should worry about so much if you have some nice case fans or even use the optional asus fan for the sink on the mobo. For the videocard, thats all about preference? Do you play many games? I wouldnt try to go top of the line right now since the next generation is right around the corner, try the cyberdeals section to see if you can pick up a sweet card for cheap.

trendx said:
Also I would wait on your nb and cooler, see once u get your system up if your case has good airflow it shouldnt be a problem. I also went with the ultra 120 instead of that si 128 just because i decided to be pimp status. your motherboard airflow isnt something you should worry about so much if you have some nice case fans or even use the optional asus fan for the sink on the mobo. For the videocard, thats all about preference? Do you play many games? I wouldnt try to go top of the line right now since the next generation is right around the corner, try the cyberdeals section to see if you can pick up a sweet card for cheap.

Thanks alot for the input, it's very much appreciated! I have an slk-3000b, which has front and rear 120mm case fans, so I think I should be ok in terms of airflow through my case. My mobo runs pretty cool w/ the socket A system, so I think I should be ok. My power supply (ocz 450w modstream) has a 120mm fan which should also help a little.

On that note, I want to keep my power supply, and I ran some #'s off of the power supply calculator (forgot the web link), and it looks like I should be ok for a while with the ocz 450 modstream.. It should work fine, right?

Regarding a video card, I'm definetly not looking for top of the line, but a solid mid-range card ($200-300) I hope should be good enough. I play games once in a while, and want a solid card for gothic 3 and maybe to finally try that space game (forget the name). Otherwise, I mostly just do some video encoding here and there. I don't really have any intention of getting a dx10 card later on because I have no intention of going to vista.. :temper:

Thanks again for the advice.. it looks like I'm slowly narrowing down my choices. I measured the inside of my case and it looks like the thermalright ultra120 will JUST fit in there. :attn: :)

Your powersupply is definately getting close to needing to be replaced.. If your lookin to spend 200-300 you can get a really nice card, check out 7900gs (BFG GeForce 7900 GS OC) or x1900gt. and if your smart go with that ultra120 it is THE STUFF

enz660 said:
oohhh yeah, I got that same ram from the egg for $179 JUST before the price went through the roof :santa: :santa:

you will be happy with that ram.

Are you maxed at 3.4ghz? What would you say this ram will do? I actually bought it w/o really doing any research but the reviews there looked decent. Have to take most of what you read there (Egg) with a grain of salt these days.... Any advice to get me off and running with timing etc? :santa:

Thanks for the advice on a video card. It looks like I'm leaning towards a 7900gt at the moment, since it seems to provide a little better performance than the gs, and is ~$200 for now. It seems like the ATI card u mentioned is out of stock everywhere. Thanks again!

Well, just placed my order yesterday from the Egg and it added up to quite a chunk of change.. :eek: :santa:

Anyway, I decided on the same ram as the OP, but I opted for a e6400, the P5B-E motherboard, a seagate 320gb 7200.10 hdd, the OCZ gamestream 600w powersupply, and a 7950 GT 512mb video card. I also picked up a Thermalright Ultra 120. I'm hoping this system will fly! :) It seems like my 450w ocz modstream has a relatively small 12v rail (26a), and the gamestream was a good price, so I went with another solid OCZ product.

Any guesses regarding what I should be able to hit w/ a stable O/C? I'm shooting for ~3ghz w/ a relatively cool processor, which seems like it should be very easy. Thanks!

Sounds good mikeos, i should get my system tomorrow from ups, MISSED MY DELIVERY FRIDAY! and my hsf should come shortly after :)

IYIENACE said:
Are you maxed at 3.4ghz? What would you say this ram will do? I actually bought it w/o really doing any research but the reviews there looked decent. Have to take most of what you read there (Egg) with a grain of salt these days.... Any advice to get me off and running with timing etc? :santa:

I havent messed around with timings at all really, but I ran it at 400fsb no problems, im sure it can go faster than that...Just read some of the reviews on newegg of people overclocking the ram....yuo can get an idea for about where you can oc with it. Btw....my oc is cpu temp limited :(... I have a puny freezer 7 pro on it and when the case is closed...under load it reaches 60c. Once I get water.....I will prob. go to 3.6-3.7.

Back