• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im getting 10% packet loss...BETWEEN MY COMP AND THE ROUTER...whats wrong? $10 paypal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shrinkydinx

im getting 10% packet loss...BETWEEN MY COMP AND THE ROUTER...whats wrong? $10 paypal

this is based purely on my estimate from pinging it...

my internet was working fine last night, then this morning it there was no internet. reset router, computer, swiched NICs (two on my mobo) switched ports on the router, until i could BARELY get internet to load, then went back to sleep, with a bunch of programs that used the internet running (email, aim, streamy.com in firefox)

when i woke up i could pretty much access any site IF i got lucky. just had to keep trying. over and over.

and over

and over.

mind you i have 30megabit fiber optic internet so it should be instant load, this is far from it, if i got lucky and a page loaded, it still took forever for images and such.

im playing WoW right now, my ping is 287... not bad but double what it normally is. and im definitely noticing some of my actions not registering with the server.

also, when i do a speed test, download is like 6mb once it starts, then upload doesnt work... and on vent, i can hear people, but they cant hear me

$5 paypal to anyone who recognizes the problem and i fix it, i dont care how easy or stupid the solution. :santa:

Have you tried directly to the modem? If thats possible, not sure how fiber is exactly connected...

What are the models of the routers and NICs

BTW, you should not be offering payment, as we at OCF do this stuff for free all the time, and no one should be accepting payment either.

What are the models of the routers and NICs

BTW, you should not be offering payment, as we at OCF do this stuff for free all the time, and no one should be accepting payment either.

mi424-wr is the router verizon provided

NICs are the integrated ones in the mobo (A8N SLI premium) ... from network connections:

"Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller"
"NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller"

when i ping the router, it either says "bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64" or 'Request timed out'

If you ever figure this out...I'd love to know, cause I have the same problem. My connection is usually pretty OK, but I get stuff like that (timing out when trying to ping things). I've had this problem for years :( and no hardware changes have fixed it yet.

do you get it once and i while, and it goes away?

cuz ive had random no internet in mornings, but then when i get back from work its fine... i was hoping that would be the case for this, but no

wtfping.jpg

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the devices from sysmanager. Do you have another router or could possibly borrow one from a friend? If you can switch it out and test it. Also as mentioned swap known good cables and see what that does.

multipost is actually due to the packet loss and internet fail

and no, i only have one 100' cable in the house :( but im for sure buying a new one somewhere first thing tomorrow in hopes that thats somehow it, even though it died when i was sleeping (i.e. couldnt have kicked it etc)

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the devices from sysmanager. Do you have another router or could possibly borrow one from a friend? If you can switch it out and test it. Also as mentioned swap known good cables and see what that does.
sysmanager? :eek: what is that?

and i didnt even think about switching routers.... though my bro plugged in with his laptop and didnt have any problems... but ill have to try that if i can find one

from other post

can you try direct to your computer with no router, or is their no modem or is it all in one? i would say check the modem / router, new firmware..

do you have another computer you can try, a friend to bring over a laptop and make sure it isnt your OS or something like that?

Your router is dead/dying, get a new one

kinda find that hard to believe

ive had 3 routers EVER, and they all still work one of them being a wired linksys from like 2000 the only reason it died on my friend was because he was using a wrong inverter on it because the one that came with it was packed so tight in the orig box that the cable snapped or something, i dont know what happened to it.

but hey, i'm no router expert :p and judging by what his bro did, could be his wiring from machine > router

I have the same problem and it seems to be related to my switch over to NVIDIA based ethernet. Before I never had this problem. I just popped in an intel gigbit card and all has been well.

ok well

i tried plugging directly into the wall, but apparently it just doesnt work like that

then i went back to normal, same problem. tried hooking the xbox up, and theres a 'test connection' option. goes through like 8 steps, and tells you if it fails. well it failed on a different step every time. sounds like the same problem (whew! my mobo isnt busted... do you know how many hours it took to install quad sli onto it, even with a full tower????) so knowing my mobo was ok was enough that i could sleep last night

and from the fact that my brother hasnt reported any problems, i conclude either:

the router is dying and occasionally isnt picking up the slightly lower voltage at the other en of the 100' cable

or

the cable is wearing down and there is increased impedence somewhere along those 100'

thankfully, it started working perfectly at about noon today! :D

ill update this thread in the future when i figure out what the problem had been

To really narrow down what the problem is, you've got to take each component out and test by itself. First try a different PC. If that still doesn't work, try a new cable, then take the router out of the equation. Then try a new modem. If none of those work its time to call your isp.

ok well

i tried plugging directly into the wall, but apparently it just doesnt work like that

then i went back to normal, same problem. tried hooking the xbox up, and theres a 'test connection' option. goes through like 8 steps, and tells you if it fails. well it failed on a different step every time. sounds like the same problem (whew! my mobo isnt busted... do you know how many hours it took to install quad sli onto it, even with a full tower????) so knowing my mobo was ok was enough that i could sleep last night

and from the fact that my brother hasnt reported any problems, i conclude either:

the router is dying and occasionally isnt picking up the slightly lower voltage at the other en of the 100' cable

or

the cable is wearing down and there is increased impedence somewhere along those 100'

thankfully, it started working perfectly at about noon today! :D

ill update this thread in the future when i figure out what the problem had been

fyi, impedance is for AC, ethernet is totally DC so the correct term is resistance, and unless you have rodents eating at your cables, as long as you dont tie them in knots they don't go bad.

Back