• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im getting 10% packet loss...BETWEEN MY COMP AND THE ROUTER...whats wrong? $10 paypal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm having similar issues. I'm using a Linksys WRT150N router and two computers with Linksys-G W-Lan cards, and im getting packetloss / extreme ping / connection losses all the time.

I replaced the router last week (old one was a linksys 54G), but the problems seem to have persisted - i'm not really a networking guru, but what setting in the router / on the w-lan cards could cause this behaviour? Would wireless channel make any difference? Or could it be because i parked the router right next to my speakers / stereo amp / other electromagnetic interference? The ISP's modem is operating at 466.750 MHz..could that have anything to do with it? (a wild suggestion by a friend of mine).

I'm having similar issues. I'm using a Linksys WRT150N router and two computers with Linksys-G W-Lan cards, and im getting packetloss / extreme ping / connection losses all the time.

I replaced the router last week (old one was a linksys 54G), but the problems seem to have persisted - i'm not really a networking guru, but what setting in the router / on the w-lan cards could cause this behaviour? Would wireless channel make any difference? Or could it be because i parked the router right next to my speakers / stereo amp / other electromagnetic interference? The ISP's modem is operating at 466.750 MHz..could that have anything to do with it? (a wild suggestion by a friend of mine).

What is your distance from the router? Can you run a netstumbler scan and see what channels are taken? This way you can change your router to use a non-flooded channel

Distance from my own pcs to the router is about 4 meters - all the other pcs in the house are within, say 10m straight or so with some old wooden floors in between so that cant be the problem.

Ill check netstumbler, thanks for that.

...mind you i have 30megabit fiber optic internet so it should be instant load, this is far from it, if i got lucky and a page loaded, it still took forever for images and such...

This sounds exactly like a problem we are having at my campus. 'Intermitten packet loss and hard-to-troubleshoot Ping/Tracert delay. The IS Admin is 95% sure it is due to cheaper media converters failing slowly. The bean-counters will not replace them until next years budget rolls around.

To me, this sounds like interference. Are you using shielded or unshielded cable? Easy to find out, look at the writing on the cable itself, STP is shielded and UTP is unshielded. If it's UTP, get some STP and see what happens.

Back