• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm hooked on WOW O_O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RedDragonXXX said:
Jeez, how much is a flying mount?

It'll total you about 6k gold. There was a post earlier in the thread w/ the breakdown. ;)

I miss WoW... but ultimately, it's a good thing I quit when I did. heh

Grats on the progress RedDragonXXX. It's a fun game... probably my favorite. I think people tend to rag on WoW and people who play it b/c they've "lost" somebody to it... or know somebody who's addicted to it.

As for people who play WoW, or have played WoW talking bad about it... probably stems from the late game status. There are a lot of issues, and people have a lot of gripes with the game. Blizz constantly tweeks things to keep a balance. When Blizz makes changes that people don't like, people tend to get angry... naturally.

There's also issues with the endgame being nothing more than an instance or PVP grind. Sure, you get better gear and can still advance your character to a degree, but in order to progress, you're still doing the same damn thing for hours upon hours upon hours just to move on to the next instance to conquer and grind over and over and over. In order to even get into these endgame raids, you need to get keyed, which involves even more grinding for rep with the different factions and doing quests.

The thing that got me about it was that I really put effort and time in to get the best possible gear. Had nearly full t2 and GM weapons before BC hit. I was one of the first on my server to craft myself one of the uber blacksmithing items. My rogue was probably one of the baddest rogues on my server. After all was said and done, what did all that really get me? Who the hell cared? If I brag about full t2 in a job interview, will it help me get a job?

Again, I loved my time playing WoW. As boring and repetetive as it can get, I've made some really good friends playing... and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

YellowDart said:
It'll total you about 6k gold. There was a post earlier in the thread w/ the breakdown. ;)

I miss WoW... but ultimately, it's a good thing I quit when I did. heh

Grats on the progress RedDragonXXX. It's a fun game... probably my favorite. I think people tend to rag on WoW and people who play it b/c they've "lost" somebody to it... or know somebody who's addicted to it.

As for people who play WoW, or have played WoW talking bad about it... probably stems from the late game status. There are a lot of issues, and people have a lot of gripes with the game. Blizz constantly tweeks things to keep a balance. When Blizz makes changes that people don't like, people tend to get angry... naturally.

There's also issues with the endgame being nothing more than an instance or PVP grind. Sure, you get better gear and can still advance your character to a degree, but in order to progress, you're still doing the same damn thing for hours upon hours upon hours just to move on to the next instance to conquer and grind over and over and over. In order to even get into these endgame raids, you need to get keyed, which involves even more grinding for rep with the different factions and doing quests.

The thing that got me about it was that I really put effort and time in to get the best possible gear. Had nearly full t2 and GM weapons before BC hit. I was one of the first on my server to craft myself one of the uber blacksmithing items. My rogue was probably one of the baddest rogues on my server. After all was said and done, what did all that really get me? Who the hell cared? If I brag about full t2 in a job interview, will it help me get a job?

Again, I loved my time playing WoW. As boring and repetetive as it can get, I've made some really good friends playing... and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well to everyone that complains about how repetetive the game is. Its no better then games like CS:S and BF2 in those terms.... :shrug:

I do agree to a certain extent. The rep grinds are what started wearing me down. However, there were times that I did enjoy just going out and ripping through mobs... especially when there was a purpose to it. But grinding for:

rep
gold
crafting mats
consumables for raiding
consumables for pvp
quests

Only then to go spend an entire day in BWL or AQ40 (or now, Kara, etc) dieing over and over and over to learn the bosses, then grinding said bosses over and over and over in order to get geared to do it all again.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVED WoW... it was just the sheer amount of time I invested in it and the scenarios like I described above that finally wore me down.

With all that said, I've been "clean and sober" for about 2 months now... but I'll be damned if I'm not tempted to renew my WoW subscribtion nearly every day. LOL

To many WoW haters.

And yes WoW will certainly hold you for the next few months. It only takes about 6 month to experience 90% of the game. And with TBC out it should give it a few more months of play. I havent been playing for some time now due to school and spending time with my girlfriend. Im only at 67 right now and Im hopefully getting to 70 before june. But finals are coming so I doubt it.

Jaimes guides are awesome. I got a hunter to 40 in one weekend.

Truly, WoW is not that addictive on some levels.

Example a: I quit cold turkey (completely and totally) last year within a seconds notice. I realized, wow (no pun intended), I can't do this anymore with school and dropped it. I came back later of course when I had nothing to do, but if you lack the mental strength to simply turn it off and not play, or just uninstall the game, then you have other things to work on.

Example b: My health was deteriorating while I was playing WoW. Coming back from a vacation I was very fit, tan, and pretty well built (muscle wise). After about 2 months of constant playing day after day, I was 10 pounds overweight and losing it rapidly. WoW IS addictive when you have nothing else to do, and when you aren't preoccupied it's that kind of thing where it BECOMES your job. I remember waking up at 7AM when my family left for work to go on my morning herb run, follow it up with a few instances, some farming and then finish off the day with a full night of raids. There are a LOT of people who literally depend on their game for therapy, but this game is not therapeutic. You only get out what time you put in, and sometimes that's a lot.

If you missed the wall of text, here is my point: It takes a LOT of time to be rewarded in WoW, but when the time you put in is rewarded, it really does pay off. Most people who have never played have never downed a SERIOUS boss (I'm talking like, Pre-BC rag/nef/c'thun/kel'thuzad) where you literally work your *** off every single night to kill this thing and it finally comes down. That moment when you see that death animation for the first time, it's truly satisfying. That's why I play WoW, in addition to owning noobs on the daily.

Seven said:
If you missed the wall of text, here is my point: It takes a LOT of time to be rewarded in WoW, but when the time you put in is rewarded, it really does pay off. Most people who have never played have never downed a SERIOUS boss (I'm talking like, Pre-BC rag/nef/c'thun/kel'thuzad) where you literally work your *** off every single night to kill this thing and it finally comes down. That moment when you see that death animation for the first time, it's truly satisfying. That's why I play WoW, in addition to owning noobs on the daily.

Cant agree more. NOTHING like that feeling knowing that you and your buddies are not only kick ***, but you just did something that took tremendous teamwork and planning. A great feeling :D Now granted Seven here has done by FAR more raids then I have, but I still know the feeling :p

I have a quick question. The other day I was running through Duskwood and I stumbled across this place called Twilight Cove (or something like that) and there was this HUGE dragon there that scared the crap out of me.

I did some research on it later on and it seems that thing is unbeatable. I read the story's of 40+ people raid consisted of all lv70 players taking it on, only to be wiped out in less the 5 min. They said that it deals 3800+ damage with a single blow :eek:

Anyone else knows what's the deal with this?

And also I'm hearing about this Black Temple for WoW. Is this new expansion pack or just an add-on?

That is one of the 4 dragon's from the Emerald Dream I believe, Lethon and Ysondre are the only names I can think of off hand. They all drop nice level 60 epics. They do require 30-40 level 60's. I have downed each one of them back in the day. It just takes coordination, as the whole game does.

His 3800 is NOTHING, compared to High King Maulger...........that's sickening when I get HIT........NOT CRIT or crushing for 8500+ on the gear I have. Check out my armory, Neltharian (70 warrior, UD). So, yeah, he has hit our casters past the 20k mark.........

Anyhow, he is on farm status now :) Dodge is my friend. We are now working on Gruul, who BTW grows every 30 seconds.........by his 12th growth, he was hitting me every 2 seconds for 7000.......yeah.

all this talk about these sweet drops and raid dungeons and unbeatable mobs really makes me want to spend more time playing the game...but i really don't want to devote my life to it. :( i guess i'll just have to settle for my casual game play and run of the mill game experience.

If it helps any, learning the bosses can be VERY VERY trying.......you must have the right group of people, or insults start flying.........and people get butthurt.

AMDforlife said:
If it helps any, learning the bosses can be VERY VERY trying.......you must have the right group of people, or insults start flying.........and people get butthurt.

It sure does. It can be awesome when you drop your first big boss. Hell I remember my first Luci kill... went down like nothing. Big pansy. :p

I also remember banging our heads against Vael for a good couple weeks with no success. And once we got him, clearing BWL from Raz up to Firemaw would take half a day. We'd then spend the other half trying to kill that drake. hehe

As rewarding as it feels finally dropping that big bad monster on his butt, it can get trying. Wiping over and over to the same boss can get frustrating. When you've got 40 people on team speak, people get edgy and smack talk starts flying.

My suggestion for newer players, start looking to get in a raid guild, or a growing raid guild. If you want to see end game content, that's your best bet. The sooner you start looking, the better. If you're already at 70, you'll need to maybe do a little something to help yourself stand out from the crowd. And be persistent, but not annoying about it. Getting into a raid guild is not unlike a job application/interview process. ;)

YellowDart said:
It sure does. It can be awesome when you drop your first big boss. Hell I remember my first Luci kill... went down like nothing. Big pansy. :p

I also remember banging our heads against Vael for a good couple weeks with no success. And once we got him, clearing BWL from Raz up to Firemaw would take half a day. We'd then spend the other half trying to kill that drake. hehe

As rewarding as it feels finally dropping that big bad monster on his butt, it can get trying. Wiping over and over to the same boss can get frustrating. When you've got 40 people on team speak, people get edgy and smack talk starts flying.

My suggestion for newer players, start looking to get in a raid guild, or a growing raid guild. If you want to see end game content, that's your best bet. The sooner you start looking, the better. If you're already at 70, you'll need to maybe do a little something to help yourself stand out from the crowd. And be persistent, but not annoying about it. Getting into a raid guild is not unlike a job application/interview process. ;)

see, that is what kind of turns me off. I used to be pretty good at CS when I was in college and played it pretty religiously for a while. I never joined a "clan" because I liked having the freedom of being able to play when I wanted for however long I wanted. While others might have said CS took up all of my free time, I'd say I still chose when to play. I never wanted a clan to tell me that I had to make specific practices or specific matches because that seemed to lose its game quality to me...turning it into more of a job or a team sport, and I really did not want to make that commitment.

I see the same thing happening in WoW. I finally found a small guild that I enjoy playing with and they are extremely helpfull. So even if the game gets monotonous, I can usually hook up with some one to run some instance i've never been through before to keep the game play fresh. I really wouldn't want to be obligated to do certain things on certain days at certain times.

Maybe some raid guilds aren't like that, but from all of the people i've talked to, they are, and they'll kick you out if you don't conform to their time requirements.

splat said:
see, that is what kind of turns me off. I used to be pretty good at CS when I was in college and played it pretty religiously for a while. I never joined a "clan" because I liked having the freedom of being able to play when I wanted for however long I wanted. While others might have said CS took up all of my free time, I'd say I still chose when to play. I never wanted a clan to tell me that I had to make specific practices or specific matches because that seemed to lose its game quality to me...turning it into more of a job or a team sport, and I really did not want to make that commitment.

I see the same thing happening in WoW. I finally found a small guild that I enjoy playing with and they are extremely helpfull. So even if the game gets monotonous, I can usually hook up with some one to run some instance i've never been through before to keep the game play fresh. I really wouldn't want to be obligated to do certain things on certain days at certain times.

Maybe some raid guilds aren't like that, but from all of the people i've talked to, they are, and they'll kick you out if you don't conform to their time requirements.

You have your good and your bad. Also you have your casual raid guilds, and your hardcore raid guilds. Its all relevant.

RedDragonXXX said:
Well I decided to pull a plug and have just ordered Burning Crusade Collectors Edition :D

Can't wait to get it :)

Lol, Good choice, I was mad when I found out that was the only way to get the DVD AFTER I bought 2 copies of BC.... Not to mention the pimp box :p

Yeah you can still play your existing character, but you will have to wait until level 58 or so to experience the BC content. Or you could create a new character and play through the new level 1-20 content.

Also know that it is actually possible to go to Outland at any level, it's just the dark portal that requires level 58+. A warlock can summon any level character to any place in outland, and I think a Mage can portal to Shattrath City.

There are some potential advantages to getting to Outland early.

The main advantage is setting your Hearthstone to an inn in Shattrath City. There are portals in the center of the city there that can transport you to any other major city. So, it allows quick transportation to any major city instead of just one where you happen to have your home set to.

It is also possible to train skills past 300 there. There are some level restrictions, particularly on production skills, but they are lower than 58.

Questing is also possible prior to level 58, so it is possible to start playing there early. Leveling is much quicker and even the common green items are generally better than blues that are available pre-Outland.

Battlegrounding from Shattrath can also be interesting...since after any BG you are automatically teleported back. Same as anywhere else, but no where else has portals to every major city.

WOOT

Today I went from having 34G to little over 100G :clap: (lv33 mage so far)

I spent whole day yesterday in AH play stock market game and it payed off. I think I might have enough at this point to buy a mount once I hit lv40 :)

Back