• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm hooked on WOW O_O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RedDragonXXX said:
WOOT

Today I went from having 34G to little over 100G :clap: (lv33 mage so far)

I spent whole day yesterday in AH play stock market game and it payed off. I think I might have enough at this point to buy a mount once I hit lv40 :)

Just keep that up and you will easily make that money :D My only problem with doing that on the AH was the fact I was on a new/low pop server, so it took alot longer then one day lol.

Hey Red,

Just caught bits and pieces of this thread, but wanted to lend some advice, up to you if you take it or not. I used to be a WoW junkie, until I got to addicted to it, plus blizz was screwing up classes left and right, but I wont get into that. I had my lvl'ed characters, had the epics and etc, had a couple leveled characters actually, but like I said I was getting to addicted and quit.

Anyway, if you do stick it out, do it in moderation, don't worry so much about the loot in the early levels since you will change it often, wasting money in the AH (auction house) in the early levels can keep you from getting that mount as soon as you want it.

Try and save battleground (wsg, ab, av) tokens so you can get a FREE epic riding mount (level 60+ mount), still gotta pay for the riding instruction though.

As for mods, I suggest staying away from them, I had a friend that lost everything in WoW due to a keylogger that was in a mod he downloaded. So I would stay away from them if I were you. The default UI and interface settings in WoW are plenty good enough. If you do a search in the WoW forums or read the customer support forums and you'll see how easy it is to get hacked using a mod.

I'm not using any mods, just add-ons which everyone seems to use.

Speaking of which I just got the new patch and none of the add-ons work anymore. Says that they are out of date :confused:

Anyway to fix this or will I need to wait for new updates?

CRAP...my realm is down :bang head ...must play WoW, LOL

RedDragonXXX said:
I'm not using any mods, just add-ons which everyone seems to use.

Speaking of which I just got the new patch and none of the add-ons work anymore. Says that they are out of date :confused:

Anyway to fix this or will I need to wait for new updates?

CRAP...my realm is down :bang head ...must play WoW, LOL

Look for the "Addons" button at your char select screen after you log in. There will be a check box at the top of that screen to "load out of date addons". You should be able to run most of them until a new version is released. Most of the big ones, like CTRA, Damage Meters and KTM are updated pretty quickly after each patch.

ct mod, atlas, and atlas loot were all updated yesterday. i'm still waiting for auctioneer tho.

YellowDart said:
Look for the "Addons" button at your char select screen after you log in. There will be a check box at the top of that screen to "load out of date addons". You should be able to run most of them until a new version is released. Most of the big ones, like CTRA, Damage Meters and KTM are updated pretty quickly after each patch.

Yea I did that and now they all work :beer:

Thanx

I'm fairly new to WoW, but enjoy it much. I played my char to lvl20, stopped playing for a couple months, lvl'd to 40 and got mount, stopped playing for a couple months, now at lvl53, pushing for 60 and buying BC. The friend that got me into it is in a raiding guild, so there is something waiting for me, but I've heard all the drama associated with a hardcore raiding guild. Love the game!

nightelph said:
I'm fairly new to WoW, but enjoy it much. I played my char to lvl20, stopped playing for a couple months, lvl'd to 40 and got mount, stopped playing for a couple months, now at lvl53, pushing for 60 and buying BC. The friend that got me into it is in a raiding guild, so there is something waiting for me, but I've heard all the drama associated with a hardcore raiding guild. Love the game!

Drama exists everywhere technically as its a human trait. Many MMO's I have played from EQ to WOW and in every guild I have been in there has been drama at one time or another.

All you need it two people to cause drama, when you get a few thoudand together in a game, well... you get the idea..

Hardcore raid guilds tend to have less drama then casual guilds as their rules are a lot more strict.

Wow, there is a lot of changes and additions in this new patch.

There is one little nugget that will largely be unnoticed that is actually a gigantic buff for me. My main character is a Protection spec warrior. In the warrior notes there's a little blurb about Revenge trading some innate threat for actual damage to result in approximtately the same overall threat.

However it was that they stated it, it's a big understatement.

Revenge previously did rather pidly amounts of damage, but it did cause a very large amount of threat even though many did not really know. It does only cost 5 Rage, 2 Rage with Focused Rage, so it was fairly rage efficient with damage. However, at such a small amount of actual damage it frequently was not even worth triggering the global cooldown to use unless aggro generation was an issue.

Damage has been wildly increased at the higher ranks. It is now comparable in damage to Shield Slam, but only costs 2 Rage with Focused Rage. 5 second cooldown. The only thing that keeps this ability from being a spammable ability is that is MUST follow a successful block or parry. Enter staple ability for tanking warriors...Improved Shield Block. 10 Rage, 5 sec cooldown, Increase Block percentage by 75% for up to 2 successfully blocked attacks for 6 seconds. In real practice...if being attacked in melee in the front, 2 attacks will be blocked, 1 extra rage point will be generated for each block, and Revenge will become available. Revenge can then be alternated with Shield Slam for big, continuous damage. In long fights with lots of Rage, throw on 5 Sunder Armors and alternate in Devastate as well. Previously, there was always a choice of using rage to keep Shield Block up to mitigate damage or using the rage on offensive abilities to deal damage. Now, it's a now brainer...Shield Block plus Revenge gives both.

Result...against melee characters, wow... Playing in AV, other warrior specs couldn't come close one-on-one. Dual Wield Fury and 2H Arms both get blocked too much, crits eliminated, and die too easily themselves. Not even close when executed correctly. Rogues are dangerous as always, but most get raped. To even have a shot, they have to get some effective stun locks going. Even then, when their stuns run out I usually have enough life left to climb back into the fight and start winning again. They are frequently having to resort to using Blind and stepping back to bandage...or even hide and attempt to resume attack later. Even so, AV is often too chaotic and quickly paced to attempt something so involved...in more chaotic situations they drop quickly. Even paladins are much more human, especially in the chaos of battle.

Casters are still a problem... They don't give melee attacks to block or parry in order to enable Revenge. However...there can be workarounds. The key is that blocking anyone's attack enables Revenge. Frequently, some hunter has sent their pet to attack or some other melee character is being aggressive. Block their attacks, then Revenge the caster. :) Still a nice improvement.

It's also a lot more worth considering Improved Revenge. Generally, this was a shunned talent. 3 talent points yields a 45% chance for a 2 second stun for Revenge. A waste of 3 valuable points for only a 45% chance for a short stun on a rarely used ability for most warriors. I used to use Revenge more than most and actually tried Improved Revenge once. It was tempting, but ultimately I respecced out of Improved Revenge. Now that Revenge is one of my core abilities, I respecced last night and am trying it again. It's still only 45% for 2 seconds of stun, but so far it seems worth scraping a few points here and there to have.

Personally, I already liked Protection better for grinding. It does kill slower than Arms or Fury, but I would finish fights with a lot more life left. Less food. Less waiting in between fights. More ability to prevail against difficult odds. Now, Protection can even kill fast while grinding.

Really, the only big advantage left for Arms and Fury warriors is killing casters and hunters. Since the most played classes are Mages, Warlocks, and Hunters, that's a pretty big reason.

Anyway...as big as this change is, I doubt most people will even notice it during their play. Warrior players will continue to play Arms and Fury and not use shields, defensive stance, and revenge. Other players will continue to encounter these Arms and Fury warriors and won't have to deal with somewhat pumped up Protection guys. So, this is a big thing that most people probably won't even know about. :)

John G said:
Wow, there is a lot of changes and additions in this new patch.

There is one little nugget that will largely be unnoticed that is actually a gigantic buff for me. My main character is a Protection spec warrior. In the warrior notes there's a little blurb about Revenge trading some innate threat for actual damage to result in approximtately the same overall threat.

However it was that they stated it, it's a big understatement.

Revenge previously did rather pidly amounts of damage, but it did cause a very large amount of threat even though many did not really know. It does only cost 5 Rage, 2 Rage with Focused Rage, so it was fairly rage efficient with damage. However, at such a small amount of actual damage it frequently was not even worth triggering the global cooldown to use unless aggro generation was an issue.

Damage has been wildly increased at the higher ranks. It is now comparable in damage to Shield Slam, but only costs 2 Rage with Focused Rage. 5 second cooldown. The only thing that keeps this ability from being a spammable ability is that is MUST follow a successful block or parry. Enter staple ability for tanking warriors...Improved Shield Block. 10 Rage, 5 sec cooldown, Increase Block percentage by 75% for up to 2 successfully blocked attacks for 6 seconds. In real practice...if being attacked in melee in the front, 2 attacks will be blocked, 1 extra rage point will be generated for each block, and Revenge will become available. Revenge can then be alternated with Shield Slam for big, continuous damage. In long fights with lots of Rage, throw on 5 Sunder Armors and alternate in Devastate as well. Previously, there was always a choice of using rage to keep Shield Block up to mitigate damage or using the rage on offensive abilities to deal damage. Now, it's a now brainer...Shield Block plus Revenge gives both.

Result...against melee characters, wow... Playing in AV, other warrior specs couldn't come close one-on-one. Dual Wield Fury and 2H Arms both get blocked too much, crits eliminated, and die too easily themselves. Not even close when executed correctly. Rogues are dangerous as always, but most get raped. To even have a shot, they have to get some effective stun locks going. Even then, when their stuns run out I usually have enough life left to climb back into the fight and start winning again. They are frequently having to resort to using Blind and stepping back to bandage...or even hide and attempt to resume attack later. Even so, AV is often too chaotic and quickly paced to attempt something so involved...in more chaotic situations they drop quickly. Even paladins are much more human, especially in the chaos of battle.

Casters are still a problem... They don't give melee attacks to block or parry in order to enable Revenge. However...there can be workarounds. The key is that blocking anyone's attack enables Revenge. Frequently, some hunter has sent their pet to attack or some other melee character is being aggressive. Block their attacks, then Revenge the caster. :) Still a nice improvement.

It's also a lot more worth considering Improved Revenge. Generally, this was a shunned talent. 3 talent points yields a 45% chance for a 2 second stun for Revenge. A waste of 3 valuable points for only a 45% chance for a short stun on a rarely used ability for most warriors. I used to use Revenge more than most and actually tried Improved Revenge once. It was tempting, but ultimately I respecced out of Improved Revenge. Now that Revenge is one of my core abilities, I respecced last night and am trying it again. It's still only 45% for 2 seconds of stun, but so far it seems worth scraping a few points here and there to have.

Personally, I already liked Protection better for grinding. It does kill slower than Arms or Fury, but I would finish fights with a lot more life left. Less food. Less waiting in between fights. More ability to prevail against difficult odds. Now, Protection can even kill fast while grinding.

Really, the only big advantage left for Arms and Fury warriors is killing casters and hunters. Since the most played classes are Mages, Warlocks, and Hunters, that's a pretty big reason.

Anyway...as big as this change is, I doubt most people will even notice it during their play. Warrior players will continue to play Arms and Fury and not use shields, defensive stance, and revenge. Other players will continue to encounter these Arms and Fury warriors and won't have to deal with somewhat pumped up Protection guys. So, this is a big thing that most people probably won't even know about. :)

i can't believe I made it through that entire post :) great info. I actually just started rolling my first warrior on a pvp server the other night and I chose fury as the people i talked to said it would yield the best DPS. I was thinking about doing 'protection' and talked myself out of it. right now i'm focusing on one handed axes and using a shield. I might experiment with dual wielding later, but i don't really see myself using it exclusively.

anyway, your post was very informative and definitely leans towards teh "defense is the best offense" way of thinking.

Being a fury warrior you should be dual wielding as soon as you can. Only time you would use a shield is if your tanking for a group. A fury warrs DPS comes from dual wielding.

CGR is 100% correct.

However, back in the 60 days, I was an odd furt/2H warrior, with an obsidian edged blade. I was always #3-5 on DPS in a 40 man raid group, but I think it was cause I'm 'uber :) LOL

CGR said:
Being a fury warrior you should be dual wielding as soon as you can. Only time you would use a shield is if your tanking for a group. A fury warrs DPS comes from dual wielding.

ah. so would you recommend keeping a shield in my inventory for such occasions?

Conventional wisdom is that Arms warriors should use two-handed weapons, Fury Warriors should Dual Wield, and Protection warriors should use one-hand with shield.

Reasons for such are not always terribly large, particularly depending on how you spec.

There are only three talents in arms that particularly favor two handed weapons. Two-Handed Weapon Specialization (increases 2H damage slightly), Mortal Strike, and Improved Mortal Strike. If a person doesn't spec these talents, there's really no special reason to favor 2H weapons other than personal preference. Improved Herioc Strike up at tier 1 actually favors quick one-handed weapons.

In Fury, there are only three talents that favor Dual Wield. Unbridled Wrath, which has a higher rate of granting the possible +1 rage per hit. Dual Wield Specialization, which ends up reducing the damage reduction on the offhand weapon. And, Precision increases hit percentage which favors Dual Wield somewhat more than others. Dual Wield has higher raw damage potential than using a 2H weapon, but it is offset by an increase in misses...increasing hit percentage eliminates some of these misses and raises overall DPS significantly. Improved Slam at tier 5 actually favors 2H weapons.

In contrast Protection has 9 talents that favor 1H + Shield. Shield Specialization, Improved Shield Block, Improved Revenge, Improved Shield Wall, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Mastery, One-handed Weapon Specialization (also favors dual wield and offers twice the bonus of the 2H version in Arms), Shield Slam, and Devastate (requires 1H weapon).

Arms and Fury warriors will generally want to keep a Shield + 1H set available for tanking in 5 man instances. Fighting as such in defensive stance and generating aggro will take some learning, but is possible. Some simply use their normal fighting style and hopefully have a good healer and DPS hold back some to keep from pulling aggro.

Protection warriors will want to similarly keep an extra offhand 1H weapon or a 2H weapon for PvP, but generally only at low levels, or if they happen to have a 2H that is much better than their normal 1H weapon.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a huge difference in the value of a shield in the hands of an Arms or Fury Warrior and the value of a shield in the hands of a Protection Warrior. For Arms or Fury, it simply adds some armor value for about 10% more physical damage reduction and a slight chance to get some blocks which aren't even as good as parry or dodge since they only reduce damage by a certain amount. For Protection, a shield is also a utility. As described in my other post, they can become a machine for blocking attacks, generating extra rage points, Revenging, Shield Slamming, (One Hand Weapong Specialization and Shield Mastery also increase Shield Slam damage), dispelling effects, and possibly even getting some short silences.

Which of the three specs to choose largely depends on how you like to play and what you like to do when you play. If you like to run 5 man instances or anything beyond that, Protection is by far where it's at. For PvP, BG's, and duels, Arms and Fury are generally better, with the small exception of tanking lieutenants, commanders, and bosses in AV. PvP is largely killing Warlocks, Mages, and Hunters before they kill you and Arms and Fury help accomplish that. The survivability of Protection often equates to taking a little longer to die, but it can still be played effectively with experience and skill. However, if PvP, BG's, and duels are a priority one must ask themselves if they even want to play a warrior in the first place which may be the absolute most frustrating class for those purposes. Most people say Arms and Fury are better for grinding, but I don't particularly agree. They do kill faster and are more efficient when grouped up with a healer. However, playing solo I definitely use a whole lot less eating food between fights. And, paired with DPS classes I can hold aggro better.

splat said:
i can't believe I made it through that entire post :) great info. I actually just started rolling my first warrior on a pvp server the other night and I chose fury as the people i talked to said it would yield the best DPS. I was thinking about doing 'protection' and talked myself out of it. right now i'm focusing on one handed axes and using a shield. I might experiment with dual wielding later, but i don't really see myself using it exclusively.

anyway, your post was very informative and definitely leans towards teh "defense is the best offense" way of thinking.

If you're still early on your warrior, try to make sure to do the quests for Blackfathom Deep as early as possible. There's two very good quest rewards that you will want.

One is Outlaw Sabre. A Blue 1h sword that can be had very early relative to its quality. Very good used with shield or dual wielding.

The other is the Arctic Buckler, a blue shield that is also very good and possible to have very early.

There's also a blue 2H sword drop off the last boss called Strike of the Hydra that is also very nice, but since it doesn't always drop and there could be competition in rolling for it...not as easy to get. Algae Fists are another boss drop...blue mail gauntlets.

Those quest rewards a very easy to get, though, and well worth the effort. You can look up the quests on Thottbot if you don't know about them. :)

That's some good info there guys, I have yet to read up through all of it.

On a side note my copy of Burning Crusade Collectors Edition just arrived :drool:

This box is HUGE and full of good stuff. The art book and DVD themselves are worth $80.

John G said:
If you're still early on your warrior, try to make sure to do the quests for Blackfathom Deep as early as possible. There's two very good quest rewards that you will want.

One is Outlaw Sabre. A Blue 1h sword that can be had very early relative to its quality. Very good used with shield or dual wielding.

The other is the Arctic Buckler, a blue shield that is also very good and possible to have very early.

There's also a blue 2H sword drop off the last boss called Strike of the Hydra that is also very nice, but since it doesn't always drop and there could be competition in rolling for it...not as easy to get. Algae Fists are another boss drop...blue mail gauntlets.

Those quest rewards a very easy to get, though, and well worth the effort. You can look up the quests on Thottbot if you don't know about them. :)

that toon is only lvl 14 atm, so i'm trying to spend time in RFC. i'll make sure i spend time in BFD too, tho.

This is sweet!

After I installed BC:CE I go to check my mail box to collect the money and there is this strange thing sitting in there that I never seen before cause I know I didn't buy it. I drag it out and it turns out to be a summon for a cool little pet dragon :eek:

At first I taught someone send it to me, but as it turns out it's part of Collectors Editions.

RedDragonXXX said:
This is sweet!

After I installed BC:CE I go to check my mail box to collect the money and there is this strange thing sitting in there that I never seen before cause I know I didn't buy it. I drag it out and it turns out to be a summon for a cool little pet dragon :eek:

At first I taught someone send it to me, but as it turns out it's part of Collectors Editions.

Heh....yep. That pet was the whole reason my wife kinda wanted the Collector's Edition herself. She didn't care about any part of it except that pet. I was able to talk her out of spending that much extra money just for a pet, though.

Back