• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm on the search now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spion

well i just moved from folding to seti today and joined the team. i stopped folding awhile ago because i got bored with it. so i decided i'd use my computer to start looking for some aliens :)

Welcome to the Seti team, Spion. If you have any questions about the Seti client or installing the optimized apps just post up and we'll help you out. :)

Hmm.. Spion.. that name is really familiar to me.. did you crunch SETI at some stage for OCF? I cant quite put my finger on how I know that name lol. Oh.. umm, just so the new mod doesnt have a reason to flex his new found e-muscles, Id better stay on topic..

"Yeah, what Muddy said" :) hehe

EDIT: where were my manners? :welcome:, to the team

yea welcome im new to seti as well.

since we are on new seti crunching questions :)
will linux run boinc faster than windows? this celeron 1.4ghz system i have is super slow :bang head

If you mean the BOINC client, then its irrelevant.. new BOINC no longer uses Benchmark_Score*CPU_Time to calculate credits, it only uses FLOP count*whatever (basically, "calculations done")..

However, if you mean the projects that you attach to BOINC (SETI for instance).. Again, I dont think so.. if you take a look at the top 20 pcs, all are running either Windows or Darwin (eww, macs).. but thats not the best indication, I know. Maybe someone with some knowledge in Linux could help? I personally cant stand the OS :x

Thanks for the welcome guys :) i already have the optimized client up (first thing i did). Hopefully my opteron can provide some extra pointage for the team :D

@Careface
I havn't crunched before as far as i know. maybe you've just seen me trolling the forums :p

:welcome: to the SETI Team!!!

Woohoo - another AMD'er! ;)
Thanks for the welcome guys :) i already have the optimized client up (first thing i did). Hopefully my opteron can provide some extra pointage for the team :D
An optimized Opty @ 2.7 GHz (I have two) running 24//7 should give you anywhere from 1150-1200 RAC (Recent Average Credit) once it's been running awhile. Since the RAC is derived over 8(?) days it takes a while to get it "up to speed" so to speak. If you're not near that mark in a couple of weeks tops let us know ... :)

Well this is what i'm looking like so far

seti.jpg

does that look about right?

i calculated about 566pts/day average so far with the highest rate of change being about 1025pts/day. so once it levels off i'll probly be around 1000pts a day?

Yeah you should be doing about 1000pts a day. OCd Opti can pull that of without too much problem i think.

Thats a good start Spion! Welcome to the crunching addiction hehe :D Have fun!

Back