• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IM TIRED OF HEARING MY FANS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrwayne410

Registered
Is there some kind of adhesive and foam I can buy to glue to the inside of my case or what? help me out guys

Foam. Fan controller. New fans. New case. Many options for silent computing... Depends if you wanna keep it cheap and how much you care about 'silence'

Edit. Checked your sig. Was/am on mobile version. I'd say it'd be your 6870s as your loudest part. Depending on the models. Your h110 fans can be controlled fairly easily. Though the switch isn't really a silence optimised case, you could easily find ways to make it quieter.

Sound insulating foam also likely insulates heat, making you set the fans to a higher speed... Best to spend a bit more money on better fans that run quieter, and the rubber mounting thingies that reduce vibration. Also note that fans are fans, and you're not going to get rid of the whooshing air noise no matter what :)

completely passive cooled PC?

NM just saw what CPU you have. Quieter fans and an insulated case

Find a used furnace fan, mount it to the side of your case, and find a motor that would spin it slowly.

www.endpcnoise.com has a good selection of high quality sound deadening material and its a great way to eliminate excessive fan noise. Especially if you work from this computer :)

The sheets have an adhesive backing, you just cut them out to fit and drop in place. You have to plan ahead and try not to disrupt normal airflow, however.

Some cases, such as the CoolerMaster Sileo 500, come with sound cladding pre-installed from the factory. Well built and nearly silent compared to other rigs with the same hardware. And I've never had trouble with cooler master fans, either. They've always been fairly quiet for the CFM/ airflow.

^I'd argue that. XD. My 140mm/200mm spectre pro Bitfenix are too loud for my liking. But they're easily quieter than a lot of others in their class. But I'm also at the point where my hard drive is the absolute loudest thing in my rig; even during gaming (the fact it's external via e-sata doesn't help; but my rig is very quiet...)

ya i understand that. my WD 1t blacks are the loudest thing in my build aswell, they were even in floating brackets, i think its WDs physical disk drivers :/

Is there some kind of adhesive and foam I can buy to glue to the inside of my case or what? help me out guys

The biggest change I've made to quiet my system is to replace the fans that were in it with Noctua NF-F12's.

Yeah. They are pricey.

Here's the difference:

Initial System power up (The bump in SPL is me leaning forward in my squeaky chair to press the power button)
t3awIbO.jpg

System at IDLE
EUqDYSk.jpg

Test 18/18 of Valley Benchmark (Extreme HD & overclocked to 4.6GHz & Xfire cards at 85% fanspeed)

hEVSyU1.jpg

I, being a cheapo, went with Scythe S-Flex, but I agree that Noctua's are great (if you can afford 8 of them at once :p).

I, being a cheapo, went with Scythe S-Flex, but I agree that Noctua's are great (if you can afford 8 of them at once :p).

Tru dat.

But worth it the first time you press the power button and think, "Maybe I didn't press the power button hard enou...oh ****! It IS on! FD$%K that's quiet!"

Tru dat.

But worth it the first time you press the power button and think, "Maybe I didn't press the power button hard enou...oh ****! It IS on! FD$%K that's quiet!"

That happened when I replaced my older Hitachi 300GB in my HTPC with a 60GB SSD. I turned it on and said wtf? But yeah I didn't realize how loud those older hard drives are.

I run 4 of those 120mm orange Xigma fans on a fan controller. I normally keep them around 1000rpm, but I have set them down to ~700RPM in the past and they are quiet.

That happened when I replaced my older Hitachi 300GB in my HTPC with a 60GB SSD. I turned it on and said wtf? But yeah I didn't realize how loud those older hard drives are.

I run 4 of those 120mm orange Xigma fans on a fan controller. I normally keep them around 1000rpm, but I have set them down to ~700RPM in the past and they are quiet.

I have 4 of the NF-F12s in Push/Pull on my H100i
1 Exhausting out the back in the standard "behind the CPU" location
1 Blowing onto the SSD cage
A 140mm Noctua blowing on on the Hot-Swap cage
Another 140 Noctua blowing on the underside of the PSU compartment up into the motherboard area

All are using the Low Noise Adapters that Noctua supplies. They may look like ***, but they're like silent little cooling ninjas in my case.

All are using the Low Noise Adapters that Noctua supplies. They may look like ***, but they're like silent little cooling ninjas in my case.

A.K.A. low voltage. But why bother? They're quiet enough at full speed (especially 140mm+).

Back