• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of a new cooling setup (Mostly for silence)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yukizora

Config info:

Xigmatek Midgard Tower (2x 120 installed, could add 5x 140 fans)
AMD Phenom x4 945
2x2 GB DDR2
ATi 5750
One SSD and one HDD.

I used the fans I got with the hardware for now, but they seem quite loud, even when they're not under load. I looked for other fans, and while they are more quiet, that doesn't solve the issue of dust for me.

So, I think that left me with two options, but as I don't have much knowledge about this kind of stuff, I don't know if they are realistic / feasible with my case.

- I can get new fans for my CPU and GPU, which should be a little more quiet, and install dust filters in the air intakes. I'm not sure how I should install those, but I assume there will be space in my case for this option. It's the cheaper option, but I'm not sure about how quiet I can get with such a setup.

- I can also use watercooling, my case having space for a 120.2 radiador, plus holes for the cables. I don't think the pump + T-cable should take that much space. In this case I'd lower the noise a bit, but what 120-140 are the most quiet, while having decent flow.

What is typically the difference in price, difference in OC potential, and difference silence-wise, if any?

Last edited:
Well a good water setup will always best air for sound + OC ability, but will cost you a lot more, a good performing loop can easily stack up to 200$+ quick for quality stuff.

As far as redoing your fan(s) one of the biggest thing to help prevent dust is to create a "positive pressure" scenario in your case, which involves having more intake than exhaust, this helps lessen the collection of dust. Also some sort of filter for all CASE intakes are a must if dust is an issue in your environment (Mine is bad, so I feel your pain.) I would not try to filter your cpu/gpu directly, as if you stop it at the case level, a monthly blowing should suffice to keep your coolers tidy.

The Scythe Gentle Typhoons (1850 rpm) are some of the best fans for noise/flow and air pressure you can find, if you can find them, there are other good fans too, the Air Penetrators by stilverstone are a good option to for intake fans they come in 120/140 and 180mm flavors (180's fit 200mm mounting)

Back