• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[in-store] retail i7 920's now $199.99 @ microcenter, LARGE STOCK!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm I am not to sure abot that as I have no idea what the difference between a and b batches are...but I am guessing it is no more that 10mhz

Anybody been to the Microcenter in Boston lately, and know if part of their 47 in stock 920's are D0s? Can only imagine by this time most of them should be.

Anybody been to the Microcenter in Boston lately, and know if part of their 47 in stock 920's are D0s? Can only imagine by this time most of them should be.

I bought mine a little over a month ago, give or take, and it is a D0 3849B. At the time they had 26 D0s in stock.

I bought mine a little over a month ago, give or take, and it is a D0 3849B. At the time they had 26 D0s in stock.

So in preparation for my pilgrimage to the holy Microcenter tomorrow, I called tonight to see what their stock of 21 i7 920's looked like. The girl who answered the phone sounded like someone who just new how to work the register, and nothing about the actual product. I was half surprised with how the conversation went.

Me: "Your website says you have quite a few i7 920's in stock, I was just curious to see what stepping they were"
MC Employee: "They're umm... SL... ahhh... J something... I think... Umm..."
Me: "It would be either SLBCH or SLBEJ"
MC Employee: "Yeah, the EJ one. We have the EJ ones"

The confidence wasn't pouring out of her mouth, but when asked about stepping she did get 3 out of 5, and one of them was an important letter... Wouldn't have felt as safe if she could just list SLB heh. Probably is a call they get quite frequently though.

So I'll be hopping in my car with my faith in her, that they are stocked with D0s. Just sucks that a place 45 minutes away will take a 4 hour round trip due to crappy Boston traffic. Man I hate traffic.

Anyone considered putting in on a group buy for some 920's? I was flip flopping about driving up to orange county from SD but if a few people put in on gas it might tip the balance lol.

Anyone considered putting in on a group buy for some 920's? I was flip flopping about driving up to orange county from SD but if a few people put in on gas it might tip the balance lol.

Doesn't it say 1 per customer? :bday:

Isn't allowed unfortunetley. Several people have offered to pick up 920s for other members, but it's upon by the higher ups.

Doesn't it say 1 per customer? :bday:

You're right it says only one can be ordered online when you try to add to cart, I hadn't tried that yet. Who knows what would happen if I actually went there in person with cash :bday:

Isn't allowed unfortunetley. Several people have offered to pick up 920s for other members, but it's upon by the higher ups.

I don't completely understand that sentence but I think you're saying it's frowned upon by the managers at microcenter? Or frowned upon by the mods at ocforums?

Sorry. Post was done from my iPhone. It is frowned upon by the mods here. Per classified rules, you have to have an item in hand ready to ship to post it for sale. So they don't condone people giving others money to get them an i7 on a future trip to MicroCenter.

Sorry. Post was done from my iPhone. It is frowned upon by the mods here. Per classified rules, you have to have an item in hand ready to ship to post it for sale. So they don't condone people giving others money to get them an i7 on a future trip to MicroCenter.

anybody know the reasoning behind this being frowned upon? dont see any reason why we shouldnt be able to do stuff like this and other things? dont really care as i have a microcenter here but just curious as to the reasoning.

I happened to be visiting relatives in California and went to a MC there in San Jose. I picked one up a 920 and was floored when I found out sales tax was 10 %. So not such a good deal buying out of state there. And that state is broke?

this is actually not only at Microcenter. i just called up Fry's thats like 2 miles away from me in San Diego, and they said they will do a price match is they have the CPU's in stock :D so this way, i actually might not have to drive all the way up to LA/orange county to get a great deal. for thouse of you that have Fry's next to you and no Microcenter, try asking them to do a price match, most likely they will sell it to you for that amount and i'm hoping w/o the 1 per customer limit.

anybody know the reasoning behind this being frowned upon? dont see any reason why we shouldnt be able to do stuff like this and other things? dont really care as i have a microcenter here but just curious as to the reasoning.

Group buys are frowned upon. not allowed at all. Except for team32 stuff

However, offering to go to the store for someone should not be, IF you list it under services :(

Personal Shopper service :)

(still is not allowed, I know someone that offered it recently, at no personal gain, and got their thread locked down).

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that while dropping in MC for a 920. The sales people were really nice everyone willing help but what I didn't like was the up sell. They are persistent trying to get you to buy other parts which aren't that great a deal. So I'm thinking that's why MC sells these 920 so cheap is that the hope you will buy all the others parts there to build a system. Security was so tight he never handed me the chip after is was taken out of a locked case. He walked me to the register and handed it to the cashier. :)

Back