• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Indigo Extreme with Apogee Drive II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsmwookie

Registered
Any thoughts on how to get this to reflow and not damage my components? I m afraid of cutting the pump off. Just looking for insight before doing. I m also starting with a new water system, so do you think it would be wise to apply normal paste and then add the Indigo later?

I wouldnt bother with Indigo personally... too expensive for the meager improvements over say MX-4...

Order has been placed so no going back. A couple bucks to try it out isn't a big deal. I splurged as I figured it will not be off again for quite some time. I don't tend to "change" things up just for Ss' and Gs'

Please post up what kind of difference you get with the Indigo when you get done.

Results...2C better than MX4 (~3.6%) if applied right, but cost a shed load more per application than MX-4.

indigo.png

Thanks, I've seen the charts and read the reviews. ;) Much more interested in results actual users like yourself get.

Still a WC setup. I always worry about the GPU when doing the IX than the CPU. I'd always build first with normal paste then try the special stuff.

BTW, they recommend the mobo is flat, not on a wall for reflow.......................

I was referring to my delay in response.

The block has already been mounted with normal paste. Once the machine is running smooth we will turn the to hutch flat and install the IX.

Before applying the 'device', go into your BIOS and go to temp settings. Depending on the CPU, set some maximum temp for shutdown. Be sure auto shutdown is selected. The higher the better.

Use the supplied compound to clean old compounds or TIMS from the top of the CPU. Give it a few minutes afterwards for the cleaner to evaporate. Then put the device on there. Read the instructions again before doing this. Doing it right is important. It is not necessary to remove the CPU from the socket. I did and ended up damaging the pins on my motherboard. I was not a very happy camper.

Put your cooler down on it and put the clamping pressure to whatever is normal for your setup. Either unplug the fan, or turn off the water flow for water cooling systems. Remember: you won't be going past the idle point in this, so the heat won't build up as fast as you think it will. The CPUs usually have some safety setting in them to shut down before damage can occur.

Be sure the top of the CPU is horizontal to the floor for this first session. This is where the device will spread the compound where needed. High heat is needed to make it happen right. Power up the computer and let it run until it shuts down automatically. I know this is scarry. But that's what has to happen. (Remove the video card if you're worried about it. Stick in another one that is air cooled.)

After the shutdown happens. Wait about 10-15 minutes for the CPU to cool down. Turn the water on or plug in the cooler's fan. Then power up and check your temps. At this point you can turn your computer in any orientation that is normal for you. The burn-in has been completed.

How it did for us doesn't mean squat. And getting us to tell you about our experience is like trying to enjoy the personal sensation of getting laid by hearing about it from someone else. Sorry. But that's how it is.

You're probably looking at 2 or 3 degrees difference. That's what most of the charts from the reviews say.

Good luck!

BachOn

Before applying the 'device', go into your BIOS and go to temp settings. Depending on the CPU, set some maximum temp for shutdown. Be sure auto shutdown is selected. The higher the better.

The CPUs usually have some safety setting in them to shut down before damage can occur.

Be sure the top of the CPU is horizontal to the floor for this first session. This is where the device will spread the compound where needed. High heat is needed to make it happen right. Power up the computer and let it run until it shuts down automatically. I know this is scarry. But that's what has to happen.
Indeed. :shock:
I have a hard time justifying pushing beyond safe limits to gain 1-2c. I feel much safer cooling the room 2c instead. But each to their own.

How it did for us doesn't mean squat. And getting us to tell you about our experience is like trying to enjoy the personal sensation of getting laid by hearing about it from someone else. Sorry. But that's how it is.

You're probably looking at 2 or 3 degrees difference. That's what most of the charts from the reviews say.

Good luck!

BachOn
I trust most experienced forum members over many reviewers.

With an attitude like that you expressed above I will assume your input is extreme to say the least. :salute:

Hey! I've been there. You order something. And while you're waiting on the delivery or trying to set aside time to get the job done, you want a little confirmation and encouragement that it will work like you hope.

I wasn't making fun of him; not at all. But nobody can tell him how the Indigo will do on HIS machine. You seem to get one shot only on that initial install. And that high temp for the initial install seems to be a necessary step.

I can understand the reluctance of many to take the risk. It's almost like the inscriptions on some of those old nautical charts: "Beyond this point there be Dragons."

As Dirty Harry said it, "Well, how bout it, Punk? Do you feel lucky?"

Bach On

Hey! I've been there.
I wasn't making fun of him; not at all. "Beyond this point there be Dragons."

As Dirty Harry said it, "Well, how bout it, Punk? Do you feel lucky?"

Bach On

I misunderstood so please disregard the last part of my last reply.

As for Dragons and Dirty Harry, yes. To me not worth the risk or cost. There are too many other ways to gain a few degrees; better fans, better case air management, etc.

When you look at the graphs it looks dramatic but the graph starts at 68c. The top TIMs are between 70.56c and 73.64c. Allow a degree each way for unforeseen variables and there's only 1c difference. I'm not a Frostytech fan but as an example they tested 4 PH-TC14PE coolers; red, blue, orange and white. and got 14.0, 14.4, 14.5 & 14.8c receptively. .3c difference on same cooler on a heated block. And I not about to believe colour is the reason. But I do have a red one... even have TY-143 red housing/orange blade fans on it! ;)

Two TIM tests:
Shown above; IE =70.56c and PK-1 = 71.67c 1.11c diffeence
Shown below; IE =79.20c and PK-1 = 81.20c 2.00c difference
0.89c difference with same TIM's

TIMreviewgraph_2_zpsbd252dde.png

I already mentioned that I bought the Indigo system. So I'm not making fun of anyone. Overclockers are always looking for ways of knocking the temps down a bit. Gains for thermal compounds TIMS are often modest. But lots of folks take their system apart to try some new product.

I water cool. I'm just cooling my CPU at this time. I've bought new blocks, rads, pumps, hose, fans and reworked the system numerous times. I felt I was close to being able to bump a 2500K above 5.0 Ghz. So I went for the gold.

There really isn't anything wrong with that. Lots of folks on this board are trying things to get a better outcome. And I appreciate that we have people willing to help us.

The problem I experienced was not with the Indigo. IT WAS MY FAULT. I got in a hurry and ruined a $235 Asus P8P67 motherboard. I bent the pins beyond the point of repair. Thus, I never got the Indigo installed enough to test it. I felt like an absolute idiot (read the tagline at the bottom of this post).

I had a guy on this board encouraging me to go to a TEK cooler. He says it will work great. And he's probably right. I'm just not comfortable with it. I may eventually get there. But not yet.

Everybody has to go at their own comfort level and pace. And we have to deal with the results if it goes wrong.

Happy Results to All in this New Year!

BachOn

Last edited:
Like I said before, disregard my babble. I misunderstood.

You wrote up a very comprehensive installation tutorial for Indigo Exteme. So good I saved a copy of it in case I ever get that brave or stupid depending on perspective to try it. ;)

No problem. I can see that it very well might have looked like I was trying to be some kind of intelligent equine animal.

BachOn

Back