• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infinite reboot loops on GA-Z87MX-D3H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesman32

Recently I've been experiencing a few issues with my new build. Every time I shut down my PC and leave for work, it refuses to boot when I come back. It'll turn on for about a second, at which point fans spin up, LEDs blink, and then everything shuts off, and the cycle repeats indefinitely until I switch off the PSU. The PC will not boot successfully until I pull the power cable, open my case, and reset the BIOS battery. After that happens, the system will boot. I can also successfully restart from Windows 8 without a hiccup, or shut down momentarily and the boot up again. But as soon as I walk away for a few hours, nothing works when I come back.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but when I wired the system initially, the 8pin CPU connector was not compatible with the 8pin port on the motherboard. Only 4 of the 8 pins would fit. I've heard this is due to an incompatibility in ATX12V and EPS12V, but I'm confused because Corsair published that my PSU (TX750 V2) was going to be Haswell compatible.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Full system specs are in my signature. I'm curious as to which component I should replace; the PSU or the Motherboard...or maybe something else entirely.

EDIT: I've also updated from BIOS F1 to F3 and the issue has persisted.

I think I'd start be temporarily removing or disconnecting the sound card, 1 x videocard, 1 x DRAM module, and the HDD. And if possible post pic's of both the 4 / 8-pin ATX12V PSU connector plugs, and the corresponding socket on the board.

Here is the socket. The CPU cable on the PSU has the 4pin-4pin split (like most PSUs) but one 4pin has 2 square pins and 2 of the hexagon-ish shaped pins (this one fits the socket), and the other 4pin has 4 square pins (this one does not fit the socket).

The HDD, SSD, ODD, Sound Card, RAM, and GPUs have all been working in another system for 5 months. Only new components are the MB, the CPU, and the PSU. The PSU was purchased used by someone who said it was working fine for over a year in their system.

Attachments

• 20130616_115723.jpg
    20130616_115723.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 1,654
Irregardless of whether the cards and drives work in another system, I'd still start my troubleshooting by disconnecting or removing anything non-essential, and if possible assemble the board outside the case. And if you can, also post pic's of the 4 / 8-pin socket faces.

Recently I've been experiencing a few issues with my new build. Every time I shut down my PC and leave for work, it refuses to boot when I come back. It'll turn on for about a second, at which point fans spin up, LEDs blink, and then everything shuts off, and the cycle repeats indefinitely until I switch off the PSU. The PC will not boot successfully until I pull the power cable, open my case, and reset the BIOS battery.

Sounds like a badly seated connector or bad caps.

Here is what the CPU 8-pin looks like from the PSU side. I was surprised when I looked at it because even the box that the PSU came in shows a different pin setup than what the PSU actually has.

Attachments

• 19c390b4-99a5-4732-a1a2-6fe71d706079_zps29f8aef7.jpg
    19c390b4-99a5-4732-a1a2-6fe71d706079_zps29f8aef7.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,230
Looking at the last pic the part of the plug next to your thumb is not part of the mother board connector. Make sure you are using the ones for the mother board and not the PCI-e plugs.

Z

Back