• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info on a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris86

Registered
My buddy has this comp and said he would work a deal out with me on it I dont really game right now I know its not what i was looking to build but would this be a good platform to start with and upgrade from GTX 980 graphics, MSI X99A motherboard, 16G ram, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, i7 5820 3.30GHz it has a 600watt power supply

Not looking to upgrade right not but down line better ram better graphics card only thing I would add right away would be more memory just trying to get into a good desktop. Trading a rc truck for it I have it for sale for 400 would take 350 for it

16GB DDR4 is fine for a desktop, why do you think that you need more memory right away?

I guess I dont need it right away I do photography so just have alot of photos and would like them stored on comp vs a external hard drive so mainly adding a internal just for photos

Here are a few picture of it it has a x99a sli plus mother board

Attachments

• 20181229_154412.jpg
    20181229_154412.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20181229_154417.jpg
    20181229_154417.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20181229_154522.jpg
    20181229_154522.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20181229_155335.jpg
    20181229_155335.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 70
I don't see anything to upgrade, the 980 is right there with a 1060 so no need there.
you need to store photos?
3 tb internal drive, backed up to a 4 tb external drive should give you all the storage you could want, you could even just add another 1 tb drive and that should get you a long way down the road.

Ya it seems like it's a pretty good set up. That's how I do it now photos on laptop then backed up on externals but I just went though and deleted some off my laptop so now when ever I want to see them I have to plug in the external

better ram
I don't really know what that means. RAM either works, or it doesn't. While there may be faster RAM (we don't know because you didn't say what's in there now), more RAM trumps faster RAM in almost every scenario. But to that, 16GB is already a HUGE chunk of RAM and is generally considered the "sweet spot" these days. That is, less RAM and performance is noticeably degraded. But more than 16GB typically yields marginal, at best, performance gains. In fact, more RAM may not yield any noticeable performance gains at all. That is, except in benchmark testing, having more than 16GB often is not noticeable at all.

If I had that system, what would I do? I might replace that PSU with a nice modular "Gold" (or at least "Bronze") supply. I like EVGA and Seasonic. A modular supply will allow you to use only the cables you need. And while you will have to store separately the unused cables, it will make the interior less cluttered which promoted better air flow and cooling.

And to that, I see a single case fan in back. If none, I would look at adding at least one more in front pulling cool air in. Or perhaps one on the bottom pulling cool air in.

i would be leery of that psu. its a no name brand with very little information other than what the manufacturer provides. for piece of mind i would replace it with a similiar specced unit but from a solid manufacturer like evga, seasonic, corsair or something johnnyguru suggest for a 500- 600 watt unit. other than that youve got yourself a solid rig!

Back