• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install Windows problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

Hello all.

A few days a go I build a new PC and got everything up running. For what ever reasons Windows can't complete the Windows update because its telling me that Windows is not activated. When I click activate Windows, it tell me that Windows reach it limit for activation. What? This is a brand Windows I bought and is activate for the first time when I first installed Windows. I find its kinda strange.

Any way. I decided to nuke the OS and reinstall Windows. I clean my Samsung 960 pro NVMe M.2 SSD and start the reinstall windows and I am encounter this problem. I am attach a picture here. Can some one tell how can I fix this. Thank you.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 94
It appears that you have not made the drives 'Active' partitions. Highlight the drive, right click, select how you want it to behave.

It appears that you have not made the drives 'Active' partitions. Highlight the drive, right click, select how you want it to behave.

In the pass. When I cleaned it. It ready to install OS , no problem. I highlighted the drive and click next, it would go on. I have this problem here is that I highlighted any other drive I got the same error.

ah.. Its all good. I keep thinking and decided to disconnect all other spinning hard drives and SSD drive. Keep only 3 Samsung 960 NVMe M.2 SSD connected. And it all good. Windows continue on installing. whew.

Yeah, leaving other drives connected while installing Windows is asking for trouble.

Now I got a real problem. Can't activate windows. I am start to wonder I bought a fake copy windows... I bought it on ebay 6 months ago for really cheap like $42. I see the seller sold a lot of copies and no negative complained against him. I thought it must be legit. But right now it appear to be not so legit. In the pass 5 yrs I have bought my Windows 7 and Windows 10 on Amazon. Never had any activation problem. $150 vs $42. The windows 10 DVD packaging look legit, look exactly like the one I bought from Amazon.

You look at the 2nd picture. When I setup Windows 10 I gave the computer a custom name. But it came up with a difference like DESKTOP-M2CLOUK.... what the F is that. I did not gave that name.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 71
It's possible someone else has activated that Windows install, I see it's an OEM. Win10 is tracked by the motherboard it's installed to first. I would contact the seller and just ask them what's going on.

Did you enter the product key from the packaging/sticker? If so, and it's failing activation, it's likely what Johan said.

Not for nothing - you can download the Windows 10 pro upgrade direct from microsoft and use an old Windows 7 key.

It's possible someone else has activated that Windows install, I see it's an OEM. Win10 is tracked by the motherboard it's installed to first. I would contact the seller and just ask them what's going on.

Johan45. The windows is a OEM system builder. The DVD disc in the envelope were sealed and the packaged were also brand new. No sign of been used or opened in any way. The packaging look exactly like my other Windows 10 that I bought off Amazon. Again, my PC custom name do come up in Windows start up. I am experiencing a lot of screen freezes because windows is updated. As for contact the seller about this. Probably will be no hope because I bought it and waited way to long before I start the build.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you enter the product key from the packaging/sticker? If so, and it's failing activation, it's likely what Johan said.

Not for nothing - you can download the Windows 10 pro upgrade direct from microsoft and use an old Windows 7 key.

Pinky, Yes I entered the product key from the packaging /sticker.

OK. I bought a $6 product key and Windows is activated..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 46
Windows updated. But I still gotten random crash, freeze making it not enjoyable to use. I did googled and watched a lot of youtube tutorials. Most of the youtube videos are mainly says is the adapter graphic card needed to update. I checked and updated every drivers. Bceuase every time I click update driver. Windows says the driver is the latest version already. I update the bios to the lastest and the Samsung 960 NVMe M.2 SSD as well. I am still getting random crash. Any one can give any advice to fix this.

PS. The random crash are ( Clock watchdog time out error.)

Does this happen at stock speeds? What does the event log say? Take some time to use the tools you have at your disposal and share the information so we can better help.

Does this happen at stock speeds? What does the event log say? Take some time to use the tools you have at your disposal and share the information so we can better help.

yes, it still happened at stock speed. I am reinstall Windows all over again. I don't know it is make a different or not. The least I give a second try of reinstall the OS.

Ok , it's stock CPU speed but what about the RAM ? Also try selecting either max performance or Ryzen/AMD balanced in Windows power settings. The new AMD doesn't do well on the power saver setting in Windows and can cause a few odd issues like dropping USB etc..

Ok , it's stock CPU speed but what about the RAM ? Also try selecting either max performance or Ryzen/AMD balanced in Windows power settings. The new AMD doesn't do well on the power saver setting in Windows and can cause a few odd issues like dropping USB etc..

Johan45. The ram is running XMP profile 1 @ 3200mhz stock speed. If I run the ram at none XMP proile, I am only getting 21xx or so. The computer is set to high performance mode. No power saving on any thing.

Last edited:
I am posting 2 picture here. Running XMP profile causing the constant crash or freeze . I am running Trident Z RGB 3200mhz default speed. The system in auto will only run it at 2133mhz. When I select XMP profile and its will run at 3200mhz but it causing the system unstable. I did not change any other settings. Can you guys give me some advice and voltage or timing change. I would like to run the ram at 3200mhz.

4:00Ghz with 2133mhz memory is stable. I am not seeing any crash.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 28
I don't know whats going on . I try to add 1 more picture to upload it here. But its won't allowed to do so.... Whats going on.

Back