• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed CM Hyper 212 evo and computer wont start.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oreofarm

Registered
The title says it all. I recently switched out my Amd stock cooler for hyper 212 evo and my rig wont start. I'm pretty sure I connected everything but when I hit the switch my power button LED flashed and died. I don't know if I have bad contact or fried my motherboard but I really need some help.

Nope, my screen wouldn't boot up or anything. It just flickered and then everything shut off.

+1 to^ also check all your connections. You may have knocked something loose when changing out the coolers.

On the back plate there is a INSULATED SIDE that needs to touch the motherboard, not the side which is usually metal! Yeah i know it sounds kinda stupid, but it has been known to happen like that before now. Just hope he has not fried anything in the CPU area or that's a new MOBO! Just had a idea has he got the right Brackets for the CPU Socket theirs another thing as well. AJ. :shrug: ;)

Yeah Johan i like this one HARDWARE CANUCKS does it ring any bells my friend!

1, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=P...per-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-6.html;360;270

2, https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=P...-hyper-212-evo-install-amd-pics.html;1023;680

Last edited:
Crap, I feel like I really screwed up. I have to check the back plate again now. What are the chances my mobo is fried?

I checked the backplate and the case and I'm pretty sure I have about 1/4 inch clearance between the two. Could a bent CPU connector pin be the problem? Maybe the screws are too tight? I'm psyching myself out thinking the worst.

Bent CPU pin? Yes. Check it.

Take the Mobo out of the case, redo it all on a piece of cardboard, build it and test it.

Did you install the cooler with the mobo out of the case? I always do. It's a hobby, I do it right. I have learned making mistakes since 1984.

Honestly, this 1000 mile troubleshooting means you need to take the initiative and figure it out. And tell us more info with pics etc.

A picture would be great of the backplane. And why do you think a CPU pin could be bent when you don't need to remove the CPU to install a new cooler? Something you haven't told us?

Hey man, sorry the upgrade didn't go smoothly! There's two things to do here.

First: Put the old heatsink back on, and try it. If it runs, nothing got shorted, everything's fine.

Second: If it doesn't run, don't panic, because: Did you take out your cpu when you removed the old heatsink? If so, you may well have forgotten to close the locking mechanism on the socket. It's the little piece you have to use a flat-head screwdriver on to move, and when in the "open" position, the computer should power up, detect failure, and power down. All very rapidly. It sounds like what you described!

Let us know if either or both of these steps works.

Last edited:
Hello gents! I have returned from the frustration of my rig not starting and got my baby up and running. After days of frustration i removed the cpu, cleaned and re-seated it. I placed my RAM into channels 2 and 4 and while i was doing this i believe i found the main culprit. The color on the power switch wire had been somewhat faded from red to orangish, this led me to place it into the wrong connector. I took out all the wires and placed each one into their respected connectors step by step and VOILA! Life! (I know it seems kind of anticlimactic but its the little things that slip your mind when frustrated.) On another note, i am throughly impressed with this cooler, at idle i am getting 25-30C and under load it doesn't move an inch past 39C. This is great considering it was under 40 bucks. All in all thank you guys for all your help and guidance and i definitely will be visiting these forums often!

Wonderful! It's funny how easy it is to forget the little things. I'm forever forgetting to check the plugs first, and am always un-installing and then re-installing drivers for things, when the sata or usb cable had simply come loose.
These things happen when your computer is in pieces on the floor, right where your feet go :p

Good for you!

Next time consider building it on cardboard, cooler and all to do all your installs and testing. Then you know the Mobo etc is good. Install, no workie, you know it's the case.

Congrats, you figured it out.

Back