• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing laptop heatsink (Noob)..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pclemmit

Hi all,

Sorry this may be a noob of a question but here goes..

Can any help, what is chip No3 in the photo ?? Also does this component need to be in contact with the heatsink ie need cooling?? It does run directly above it, but I cant recall removing a pad (when I stripped this machine several week ago)

Thank you.

Additional info: Laptop Roma 2000, Celeron 900 processor, over heating. Installing copper shims with thermal conductive paste.

c7095dfaeda6485d8685b9bf656b5e04_A.jpeg

Sorry I can't get the photo. It is here at this link.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140226184139AAGfxW9

Thanks for looking any assistance greatly appreciated..

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140226184139AAGfxW9

Last edited:
Please upload the pictures locally, I can't see anything besides a broken image.

Sorry pall, think It should now be uploaded...?

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
That's an inductor, so probably not. Doesn't hurt to heatsink it anyways, though.

The copper rail runs directly above...

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    767.2 KB · Views: 53
Great news thanks for your help. TBH it was a nightmare to heatsink as it kept preventing the main processor mounting correctly.

Out of curiosity, what does the inductor do?

Thanks NiHaoMike..

You have been a great help..

Voltage regulator module - What is your view is there any need to have this heatsinked ?

Seems strange how it was so well positioned for the copper cooling run, just coincidence I guess ?

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Good to see you used shims... granted on the flip side of the mother board if you use (crap what are they called) thermal pads? it will pull some of the heat away form the soldier points as well..

First time i have ever installed shims. Took a little bit longer to ensure i got correct shim. Fan hardly ever runs now. Processor rarely hits 50deg C happy days :)

Would recomend copper shims well over thermal pads..

Back