• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink upgrade, doesn't post, cpu heats properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's both.

It's completely impossible to fry the CPU just from booting up without the heatsink. Unless someone has some really good evidence of this actually happening with a modern CPU.

And the system will "usually" shut itself down if it detects overheating.

This is not true. If the board monitoring is manually set to ignore, the board will fry the cpu. Most boards will interrupt post when voltage is set too high IE: 1.65v on my AM3+ asus boards will trigger a stop post warning. To avoid this simply turn off or disable it in bios HWMonitor.

So some one could mess this up and fry a cpu. It is possible.

And from reading the OPs issues like trying to mount a HSF with just 3 mounting screws and I briefly read about bent pins or something along the way, there is no helping this one. Sounds like a hurried job without any idea whats going on. Sounds just like me when I first fried a cpu..... :rofl:

It's both.

It's completely impossible to fry the CPU just from booting up without the heatsink. Unless someone has some really good evidence of this actually happening with a modern CPU.

And the system will "usually" shut itself down if it detects overheating.

You just totally contradicted yourself for the second time. A system will shut itself down if it gets too hot during normal use. Not having a heatsink attached is anything but normal use. A cpu can heat up so quickly with no cooling that there are no guarantees that it will be able to shut itself down.

This is not true. If the board monitoring is manually set to ignore, the board will fry the cpu. Most boards will interrupt post when voltage is set too high IE: 1.65v on my AM3+ asus boards will trigger a stop post warning. To avoid this simply turn off or disable it in bios HWMonitor.

So some one could mess this up and fry a cpu. It is possible.

And from reading the OPs issues like trying to mount a HSF with just 3 mounting screws and I briefly read about bent pins or something along the way, there is no helping this one. Sounds like a hurried job without any idea whats going on. Sounds just like me when I first fried a cpu..... :rofl:

Not to mention crushing the board or cpu along the way. I heard of people crushing delidded cpu's but not ones with the heat spreader still on.

You just totally contradicted yourself for the second time. A system will shut itself down if it gets too hot during normal use. Not having a heatsink attached is anything but normal use. A cpu can heat up so quickly with no cooling that there are no guarantees that it will be able to shut itself down.

I haven't contradicted myself, and I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this supposed contradiction.

The CPU and board don't know whether there is a heatsink installed or not, so that's not likely to affect whether or not the system will shut down when overheating unless the safety feature has somehow been disabled.

Now this is debatable. Your talking the cpu needs to run in order for the board to operate properly. Since the processor has it's own sensor, the core temp is what shuts the Cpu off, the board follows.

I would say that if it's "fried", it could very well have been static charge released onto the cpu pins. That would be one quick way to fry a processor and not know what happened ;)

This seems like a reasonable possibility if there were enough of a static charge built up in the system for whatever reason.

Further testing is definitely needed to confirm the actual problem.

Last edited:
A cpu can heat up so quickly with no cooling that there are no guarantees that it will be able to shut itself down.

Now this is debatable. Your talking the cpu needs to run in order for the board to operate properly. Since the processor has it's own sensor, the core temp is what shuts the Cpu off, the board follows.

I would say that if it's "fried", it could very well have been static charge released onto the cpu pins. That would be one quick way to fry a processor and not know what happened ;)

Not to mention crushing the board or cpu along the way. I heard of people crushing delidded cpu's but not ones with the heat spreader still on.

Crushing a de-lidded cpu is really actually harder to do that you think. I dropped a water block on one. It did not end well. Was a 2nd FX-4100 the other died under the torch.

Crushing a de-lidded cpu is really actually harder to do that you think. I dropped a water block on one. It did not end well. Was a 2nd FX-4100 the other died under the torch.

I think its one of those things if you do it "just right". The guy was mounting a heatsink and put too much pressure on one side and the uneven pressure did the trick. It actually was a Corsair H100. I have one and its like putting on an oil filter. Get it snug and then another quarter turn. But the tendency is to over tighten.

I have destroyed a 1090T overnite running Prime95. I changed the multiplier, fired up Prime 95 and went to bed. Everything was set to auto. It was like three years ago. Next morning it was dead.

I do admit I lap all my cpu's and heatsinks. It is a crap ton of work. Especially since I usually have ten computers up and running at once. Why do you delid your AMD cpu's Shrimp? Aren't they all soldered? Or maybe I heard the APU's aren't but FX are?

I do admit I lap all my cpu's and heatsinks. It is a crap ton of work. Especially since I usually have ten computers up and running at once. Why do you delid your AMD cpu's Shrimp? Aren't they all soldered? Or maybe I heard the APU's aren't but FX are?
Because he's Shrimpbrime :screwy: :D

Back