• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatsink upgrade, doesn't post, cpu heats properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boastdetail

I've been searching for two days, so I upgraded my heatsink and my dad pulled it out of the AM3 slot prior. Out comes the cpu and heatsink, bent and all. I fix all the pins, readjust the grip three times. The computer turns on and stays on. But there is no display or post. Could I have short circuited the cpu? It definitely works since its connected to the socket since I just ran it without the heatsink, overheating 3 seconds later. I have a new ssd and old hdd connected. The top fan conne cted to the rear fan only cycles when shutting down. It usually just cycledz after bios before this issue if I recall correctly. No, we weren't grounded. We both touched the cpu. Damaged pins don't seem to be an issue here. Please, help . I'll be buying an 8350 soon.

The 8320 works but doesnt post.
Also the front of my case doesn't blink the tiny blue dot like it did.
I went over the manual 5 times I'm sure the wiring is right. I can't find the speaker cable for beeps. Ssd shines green light.
Can cpu be faulty while still heating up?
Also since the mobo shut down the comp to prevent burning, does that eliminate the mobo from faulty?
Possibly crushed cpu installing hyper 212 evo. Only three standoff were supplied too so that can be an additional factor.

Last edited:
Wow boast that's alot of issues.

First and foremost Welcome to the Forums.

I think it would be best to address each problem individually and in order of importance.

You should NEVER boot your system without a heatsink. It can overheat in the short amout of time it takes most systems to boot up. That said you said you replaced your heatsink. What did you get? Why didn't you mount the new heatsink before booting?

Pulling the CPU out of the slot with the HS is actually not all that rare. Of course it should never happen, but it sometimes does. You need to verify that all the pins are straight and none are missing. It is possible to kill a CPU this way, but I wouldn;'t give up hope just yet. Have you cleared CMOS yet? That maybe all you need (after adding the HS of course) to get it to boot.

Can the CPU heat up if faulty? Yes, if you are supplying voltage, it can and should get hot.

It's not likely that he damaged the CPU from heat, possible but not likely. The board is designed to shut down before that happens. If the CPU is damaged it would be more likely it was caused from the extraction. I think at this point your best bet would be to pull the board out of the box and set it up on a piece of cardboard with the original HS. Take a magnifying glass and make sure the pins are straight and check the socket for a pin that could possibly have broken off. Get the required parts for the replacement before you try to use it again. It's possible that the unsecured HS was grounding on something. Double check all your power connections and use the minimum for start up. 1 HD , ram and video.

Yes, take the motherboard out of the case and remove the CPU. Inspect the pin side of the CPU carefully under a bright light. Rotate it at various angles to look for bent pins you might have overlooked. It is also possible that you did not get all the pins straightened out and that you re-bent them when you reinserted the CPU in the socket.

Now take the motherboard and release the CPU lever lock. Turn the board upside down over a table top and see if any possibly broken off pins fall out of the socket. Tap the underside of the board to help dislodge any that might be stuck in their holes.

To you and your dad for future reference: Removing a heat sink from a CPU can be challenging because the paste can create a strong bond or a strong suction effect. The best way I have found to remove the sink without traumatically extracting the CPU at the same time is to remove the memory modules and slide the sink in that direction, twisting it gently clockwise/counterclockwise but not pulling it up or rocking it back and forth.

To you and your dad for future reference: Removing a heat sink from a CPU can be challenging because the paste can create a strong bond or a strong suction effect. The best way I have found to remove the sink without traumatically extracting the CPU at the same time is to remove the memory modules and slide the sink in that direction, twisting it gently clockwise/counterclockwise but not pulling it up or rocking it back and forth.

Good advice Trents, one thing I might add is it's usually easier when things are warm than stone cold. If at all possible run the computer first and do the removal right after shutdown.

boastdetail, if it makes you feel any better, we have all done what your dad did. Unfortunately, with an FX-8320 it's an expensive learning experience.

I've searched for like two days, I feel as I've done everything, I checked the grip without a magnifying glass since I don't have one and the pins several times. A few are sort of out of place but it is probably nothing out of the ordinary, I worked on those small pins for way too long. The cpu basically locks in. With another 8320 maybe if it locks in further I will fix it and sell it in thr future. Thanks for the help

I would still take it all apart and check the motherboard for pins as Trents described. Also try with the original HS. It's possible as well that you may have broken traces in the Mobo by " crushing" the CPU as you said. Tightening down the HS on 3 sides would put off balance stress on the board. Traces can break quite easily even just from seating ram in the slot and getting a slight bend in the board. I realize it's frustrating but we can only do so much for you by remote.

Uh this is awkward but I replaced the cpu and I get the same result. I can't seem to take out the big psu cable so I'm just going to book this computer in the shop. I wonder how much they'll charge for changing a motherboard. So where exactly did it mess up? The forced pulling possibly? For some reason I don't think I crushed the cpu.

The 24 pin main power cable can be stubborn to remove from it's socket on the motherboard. It has a plastic clip on the side that must be squeezed but even then it can be pretty tight. Main thing is when you have to push or pull hard on any one area of a motherboard to make sure it is supported well so it can't flex much. For the 24 pin power connector it helps to put the thumb and forefinger of the off hand down along side the socket for support, squeeze the plastic keeper clip and wiggle/pull with the other hand.

I've been searching for two days, so I upgraded my heatsink and my dad pulled it out of the AM3 slot prior. Out comes the cpu and heatsink, bent and all. I fix all the pins, readjust the grip three times. The computer turns on and stays on. But there is no display or post. Could I have short circuited the cpu? It definitely works since its connected to the socket since I just ran it without the heatsink, overheating 3 seconds later. I have a new ssd and old hdd connected. The top fan conne cted to the rear fan only cycles when shutting down. It usually just cycledz after bios before this issue if I recall correctly. No, we weren't grounded. We both touched the cpu. Damaged pins don't seem to be an issue here. Please, help . I'll be buying an 8350 soon.

The 8320 works but doesnt post.
Also the front of my case doesn't blink the tiny blue dot like it did.
I went over the manual 5 times I'm sure the wiring is right. I can't find the speaker cable for beeps. Ssd shines green light.
Can cpu be faulty while still heating up?
Also since the mobo shut down the comp to prevent burning, does that eliminate the mobo from faulty?
Possibly crushed cpu installing hyper 212 evo. Only three standoff were supplied too so that can be an additional factor.

Uh this is awkward but I replaced the cpu and I get the same result. I can't seem to take out the big psu cable so I'm just going to book this computer in the shop. I wonder how much they'll charge for changing a motherboard. So where exactly did it mess up? The forced pulling possibly? For some reason I don't think I crushed the cpu.

:shrug: I just used your words boastdetail. But it does sound like you broke something. If you were to take it in it would be the cost of a new board + labour. You might be further ahead doing it yourself.

RGone, thinks you damaged the motherboard itself when you crushed your cpu. So you may have damaged your board along with the bent and or missing cpu pins. You have to gingerly and slowly remove a cpu heatsink. They usually come off easier if the processor has warmed up the tim. Eyeballing it to make sure the processor stays put. I also always make sure I pull the heatsink straight up. As others have said it isn't a good idea to try and boot your computor with no hsf installed. Processors get hot very quickly.

You should NEVER boot your system without a heatsink. It can overheat in the short amout of time it takes most systems to boot up. That said you said you replaced your heatsink. What did you get? Why didn't you mount the new heatsink before booting?

Not likely to overheat that badly just booting up. I've run systems without a heatsink before when just troubleshooting problems trying to boot up (verifying CPU was getting warm and had power) and NEVER killed a CPU due to not having a heatsink. Most I ever got to was 60°C with an AMD, and maybe 50°C with an Intel.

Like Blaylock said you NEVER power up without a heat sink. Looks like you fried the CPU.

AFAIK it's not possible to fry a modern CPU while just booting up with no load without a heatsink if at stock voltage and not something crazy high. The system would automatically shut down if it detected overheating, long before any damage could be caused.

Last edited:
Not likely to overheat that badly just booting up. I've run systems without a heatsink before when just troubleshooting problems trying to boot up (verifying CPU was getting warm and had power) and NEVER killed a CPU due to not having a heatsink. Most I ever got to was 60°C with an AMD, and maybe 50°C with an Intel.

Impossible to fry a modern CPU while just booting up with no load without a heatsink if at stock voltage and not something crazy high. The system would automatically shut down if it detected overheating, usually long before any damage could be caused.

Running a system without a heatsink even momentarily isn't a very good practice. You then go on to say its impossible to fry a modern processor. Then you say it would shut itself down "usually" before any damage is done. Which is it? "Impossible"? or "usually"?

Running a system without a heatsink even momentarily isn't a very good practice. You then go on to say its impossible to fry a modern processor. Then you say it would shut itself down "usually" before any damage is done. Which is it? "Impossible"? or "usually"?

It's both.

It's completely impossible to fry the CPU just from booting up without the heatsink. Unless someone has some really good evidence of this actually happening with a modern CPU.

And the system will "usually" shut itself down if it detects overheating.

Back