• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing new mobo, how to do it without reinstalling Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

So I am going to install a new mobo and CPU. How do I get it down without reinstalling Windows? I know it's been possible since XP, I've seen it done.

Install new motherboard, boot? That how I do it.

I take out any drivers where possible, but if the change isnt a big one....intel to Intel for example, I usually just let windows fix itself on first boot. If it is Intel to amd, while I've done that before, I typically reinstall from scratch.

You should partition your drive and separate windows so you can easily wipe it out and put it back on. ;)

You will need to reactivate Windows 10 since changing the motherboard will invalidate the original activation. I would use a free ap called Produ key to extract the current activation key if you don't have access to the original install media and original product key. After you extract the key, write it down. You can then use it to reactivate Windows but you might have to use the Microsoft automated robo phone activation tool.

I was under the understanding that I’d need to do something specific with windows. The last time I tried this the OS would not boot.

I was under the understanding that I’d need to do something specific with windows. The last time I tried this the OS would not boot.

The only time I've had a problem is, as ED said, when I was changing from an Intel to an AMD platform or vice versa

The only thing which is causing issues for me while switching platforms is a storage driver. If the driver is in the OS then all will work, but Windows will search for the right driver some longer. I had no issues moving OS between new AMD and Intel chipsets. On new chipsets and Win10 it's much easier as Win10 has almost everything built-in. The only exception can be RAID drivers but even then it sometimes works.

Back