• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing the PROCESSOR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Zatrix said:
can someone tell me some forums for help on hardware? im not allowed to post here anymore? or ask these questions?

i didnt mean you cant ask questions or for help. i dont have the right to do that. im just saying there are forums around the net that are based for helping people like yourself. this particular forum is mainly for overclocking. we can help, but we may not have all the answers for you. for instance when i had questions about dvd burning, someone directed me to another forum just for that.

The section on the board that would be most approiate for most of what you are looking for is the General Hardware. In this section you can search for threads with the answer to the question you are looking for or ask the question in a new thread.

The bios has no effect upon what is on your hard drive, it is for selecting your mobo settings. Generally things that you do in the bios do not affect the HD's.

If you want to not format your HD when you install new parts, cross your fingers becuase that is might work might not work situation. I would recomend getting rid of your old drivers for your MOBO using something like driver cleaner(sorry I don't have the link.) with your old board. Then shut down put in the new stuff and boot up again.
After you do this set up your bios (in case you aren't sure where you access it refer to your manual) as it will come up before windows. After configureing your bois save your setting and boot in to Windows. Once in windows it will auto detect new hardware and ask for drivers. Put in the disk that came with your MOBO that says it has the drivers on it. When windows asks for a where to look check cd-rom. It should come up with the correct driver on the disk. Click install and after you install it will prompt you to restart does this and hopefully it works and everything is wonderful.
If Windows is very sluggish then it didn't work and you will have to reformat.

Moderate overclocks hurt don't hurt CPU's noticebly for a very long time and then it is marginal. Example my first real semi modern system was a Celeron 300@450 2.5 years later it is still humming along happily. I would be more woried about the graphics card apparently it hurts them worse to be O/C than CPUs.

Stay around this forum for very long and you will probably get the itch to O/c everything to absolute fastest possible score in hopes of getting the glory of 3DMARK, aquamark, and superpi scores.
Until then enjoy stock speeds and be safe.

You will need to set up bios immediatly after installing all teh stuff and turning on your machine. It can run correctly if you dont, but probably at 1/2 speed or something.

Lmao dude look

1. Put mobo in case
2. Open ZIF lever, place CPU in CPU socket
3. CLOSE lever
4. PUT HEATSINK ON!
5. Boot up your computer
6. Since you sound like you have no idea what you doing, just load defaults in the bios
7. Save and exit
8. Insert system disc ( OS................operating system lol )
9. Install windows
10. AFTER WINDOWS IS DONE, do what you want ( OC, adjust settings etc.. )

gustav said:
yes you have to format because your drivers from your old computer will be on the drive. always reformat after building a new rig or replacing a major hardware component (except the cpu, but things like motherboard, vid card, sound card always reformat).

didn't you read what he said? FORMAT IT

SavageBasher said:
If your not going to overclock then why the heck are you on this message board? :confused:

Your continous bashing of a new member asking questions is completely uncalled for. If you have nothing to add that is helpful please do not post.

This forum is and always will be one of the most new user friendly domains on the net. Your comments bring that reputation down.

Please do not do this again.

At the risk of antagonising the mods, whilst I agree that continuous bashing is uncalled for, I think that 3 threads regarding virtually the same topic (all loosely connected to formatting of hard drive) in the wrong forum from a 3 star member is also uncalled for - especially as the poster does not seem to be assimilating the information he is receiving on the matter. Personally I think a bit more research should have been done before the questions were asked.

SavageBasher said:
If your not going to overclock then why the heck are you on this message board? :confused:

because 70% of the issues asked have nothing to do with overclocking.

I dont overclock and contribute loads.

god luck with your first PC install. freaked me out too but it worked. it aint that difficult :clap:

gustav said:
wait, are you saying your just going to plug in your hard drive from your old rig into your new one? if thats the case, yes you have to format because your drivers from your old computer will be on the drive. always reformat after building a new rig or replacing a major hardware component (except the cpu, but things like motherboard, vid card, sound card always reformat).

I didnt have any problems migrating a hard drive from a dead motherboard to a new one. On Windows 98 I needed to rerun the install but installed over the previous version. It found everything again but I still had all my files.

I used to be a tech at a business school and I often took removeable hard drives and moved em around different computers. I used Windows XP corporate edition and while it took a few minutes to boot the first time on a new machine it ran fine every time after that. Especially useful in testing machines where you need different tests for different courses.

JT

Last edited:
LOL that made me laugh. no i dont have a handicap. and im 17. im just asking cause i want to be exactly sure of what will happen once i boot up. it gets confusing when some people say to format completely, other says to repair install, and others say i should be fine not formatting at all... and that doesn't even include the bios i have to setup.

you dont like b@x?

im just nervous about losing all my data on my drives. its a real pain to reinstall my drivers for my modem and i dont feel like doing that all over again. would a repair install be safe and do the job?

dude, just back up what you need, shut down. put in the new hardware, setup the bios so that your cd-rom/burner is booted up first, place you OS disk in the cd-rom and reformat the drive. when the install is done and your in windows, insert the disk that came with your mobo to install things like LAN drivers or chipset drivers. then update windows, install yoru vid card drivers, sound card drivers, etc. once everything is installed, then go into the bios and setup anything you might need to (like OCing, setting the hard drive to boot first, etc).

Back