• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing the PROCESSOR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it loads up the OS and then you have to agree to the terms by hitting F8...then read what it says and i think you press enter or something for formatting, you select the hard drive you want to use and it asks you if you want to format and if your sure and blah blah blah...its pretty straight forward.

You can do a repair (I have done this myself), but it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you do a complete re-format and clean install. You will be much happier as will your computer if you do this. Most people on this forum re-format and do a clean install at least every 6 months.

You really should do some research on your own, most times if you google your questions you will get a faster response than from a forum.

Alright here it goes. There is NOTHING you can do that will destroy your computer if you use any common sense whatsoever (don't overclock your computer to 2000 fsb). Do not be scared at all, you won't break anything. You really do need to reformat, don't just do a repair, no one does that. Back up all the data you are scared of losing, it probably takes me 20 minutes tops to reinstall all my drivers and applications. When you put all your components in (read the instructions for each product if you are unsure, there are step by step instructions on how to install your motherboard, cpu, heatsink, ram, or whatever you have), your computer should boot up fine and you will be prompted to enter your BIOS. Now obviously you have never been in your BIOS before, it isn't some set of random letters you have to decypher. It is simply a menu that is easy to read and follow, just like you are installing a program. There are TONS of options, and you will probably only need to change a very select few of them. You will need to look around until you find a section referring to boot order (this is the order that your computer will look at components to find something to boot off of since you have no OS yet). You will want to select your CD-ROM as your first boot device, and then insert your windows cd and reboot. When it tells you to hit a key, do so. Follow the onscreen instructions, delete your partition, create a new one, and format it using NTFS. Your computer will reboot again, and the installation will continue. It should be self explanatory as to how to install the rest. The only advice I can give you is to not be scared, I built my first computer when I was 12 and I really had no clue what I was doing, but I just read the instructions and it all worked out fine. Good luck.

Zatrix said:
when i formatted before i just used the winxp cd to format. i didn't have to mess with the boot order

if it boots your current hard drive before your cd-rom, it will boot your hard drive first and load your current OS and then boot the cd-rom...the cd-rom has to be the first to boot.

1. take everything out of my old case
2. install mobo into new case
3. install cpu into new mobo with heatsink
4. add psu
5. add vid card (whats the point of adding this if its not even installed?)
6. add cd rom
7. add ram
8. turn comp on and let it post. then configure bios.
9. turn comp off
10. add everything else
11. turn comp on and since your already configued bios let winxp cd boot
12. do winxp repair
13. wait for that to do its thing
14. once in windows. install whatevers not installed.

IS THIS THE RIGHT SETUP. lets end this already. and where do i get my updated drivers for my mobo/cpu if i need too?

Take everything out that you will not reuse
put all the new hardware in
boot and setup bios
while in the bios put the xp cd in
reboot
delete the current partition
reformat
install xp.

didn't you read what he said? FORMAT IT

You can do a repair (I have done this myself), but it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you do a complete re-format and clean install. You will be much happier as will your computer if you do this. Most people on this forum re-format and do a clean install at least every 6 months.

yes you have to format because your drivers from your old computer will be on the drive. always reformat after building a new rig or replacing a major hardware component (except the cpu, but things like motherboard, vid card, sound card always reformat).

you shouldnt have modem drivers. for USB, yes you do, for ethernet, no...but you have to install the LAN drivers for your mobo (if your using onboard LAN)

Back up what you need to keep (pictures, word docs, music, videos, but not software as you can just copy software from a CD...the installation of software involves entering keys in the registry, which can sometimes be several hundred keys). Shut down your machine. Install the new parts/hardware (be sure to use thermal paste if not using the stock intel cooler). Go into the bios and make your cd-rom to boot first. Put in the xp cd. Follow the directions. Format the drive (don't do a repair, FORMAT it). Install xp. Once in xp, put in your mobo cd and install the chipset drivers and ethernet drivers. Install your video card drivers. Update windows. Install any other drivers after updating windows. Install anything else you might have to (programs). Reboot every time it says you should or have to. Once all your drivers are updated, programs installed, and windows updated, then do any overclocking (the stock intel cooler could handle 3.3-3.5ghz no problem). remember, if you plan to do any cpu overclocking, get the right ram for it. if your running stock, pc3200 is fine, if your ocing, get faster memory or use a divider when overclocking. also, after your first reboot after isntalling chipset/ethernet drivers, go into the bios and change your hard drive to boot first, but dont change anything else. also remove the xp cd.

go to a local book store and buy some books on building your own computer, thats what i did and it helped a lot. take a deep breath and you should be fine. i thought it would take days to build a computer but i built mine from nothing to what it is now in 1-2 hours.

Back