• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel MATRIX Raid ~ Raid-0/Raid-0 or Regular Raid-0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanessab

I have 2 of the new 36.7gb raptors. I was wondering what would give a faster perfomance?

Having a regular raid-0 or having an Intel Matrix Raid with Both drives being Raid-0 ? Or is it pointless?

If anyone can bring light to this, I would appreciate it. Thank you

Well, I saw your other thread that you mentioned you don't have any important stuff there, its better to do plain Intel Raid 0 instead of matrix raid.

Yes, it will be faster.

ok bing, thank you. I was just about to Pm you for your personal resposne hahahaha, since I know you ran the Matrix Thread. I had originally planned on doing the regular raid-0, but i saw the post and it got me thinking. So then I guess regular raid-0 it is? :D

Yup ! :D

Don't get complicated by throwing your self into those dangerous Matrix world if you don't have anything to worry in your disk. Life is too short ! LOL

You had any substantial issues or data lose with matrix raid yet bing,

also does matrix raid affect overclocking, or have you noticed if it does?

What MB are we talking about here? I was not aware that there are 2 different intel RAIDs. I thought MAtrix Storage was just the name of the controller. RAID0 is RAID0.

Raid 0, is much different form MAtrix raid 0

as in, your using matrix raid over two or more drives with two or more raid partitions.

Which you can't do with typpical or older Raid.

So my question is pretty valid, since Matrix is different and allows you to do different things, does it affect overclocking?

Phrenetical said:

as in, your using matrix raid over two or more drives with two or more raid partitions.

So my question is pretty valid, since Matrix is different and allows you to do different things, does it affect overclocking?

Oh ok I understand now. I was not questioning the validity of your quesiton.:)

Phrenetical said:

Is it different in performance wise? Raid 0 vs Matrix Raid0 / Raid 0

2 partitions for me.

1st: OS, Apps
2nd: Games

Having it this way, would I get better performance from noraml raid-0 or matrix raid with both partitions being raid-0 ?

Im planning to do normal, from what i was told, just want to see if anyone else has input? thanks

vanessab:

That is the question on my mind as well.
Right now I got 2x320 raid 0 1 volume with 3 equal partitions.

I am tempted to think that if I get 2 raid 0 volumes it will be better as requests are handled a level up from OS file system, i.e. via intel's matrix drivers and some hardware support. Recovery could be trickier but nothing replaces good backups anyway.

Back