• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium D, or AMD 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hookdonfoniks81

Registered
I have recently decided to build a new gaming rig, and i was in a debate over the Pentium D Dual core, or the AMD Athlon 64, i have heard good things about both. Some tell me that Pentium D is meant for servers, others say it's a great choice for gamers. The same goes for the AMD 64; some say that it is an amazing cpu, and others say, that becuase most programs are not built to run on 64bit, it is a waste to buy one, because it is only truly running on 32bit, and there would be no noticable performance increase. as of now, my comp is as follows: amd 2200+, powercolor radeon 9600SE, 768MB ram, 2hdds (20+80), so as you can see, almost anything would be an improvement over that. I just want some help deciding what processor is the best choice for gaming. :shrug:

thanx
hook

PS, i wanna spend under 750 on the mobo, cpu and video card

hookdonfoniks81 said:
I have recently decided to build a new gaming rig, and i was in a debate over the Pentium D Dual core, or the AMD Athlon 64, i have heard good things about both. Some tell me that Pentium D is meant for servers, others say it's a great choice for gamers. The same goes for the AMD 64; some say that it is an amazing cpu, and others say, that becuase most programs are not built to run on 64bit, it is a waste to buy one, because it is only truly running on 32bit, and there would be no noticable performance increase. as of now, my comp is as follows: amd 2200+, powercolor radeon 9600SE, 768MB ram, 2hdds (20+80), so as you can see, almost anything would be an improvement over that. I just want some help deciding what processor is the best choice for gaming. :shrug:

thanx
hook

PS, i wanna spend under 750 on the mobo, cpu and video card
The Pentium D is at its best in multi-tasking and multi-threaded applications--things that take advantage of two cores. Most games are single-threaded, so a faster single-core cpu is a better idea. Also, 64-bit is not a huge advantage. Most games don't need to use 64-bit integers. The main advantage of 64-bit mode is the addition of 8 GPRs and SSE/SSE2 registers. The biggest advantage of the AMD64 processors for gamers is the on-die memory controller.

thanks for the information, that's what i was thinking too, this kid i was talking to that said dual cores are so much better for games seemed like he didn't know what he was talking about lol... he kept saying the same thing over and over, that more multi threaded programs would come out, and therefore i should go with the dual core.....anyway....thanks for your help

hook

hookdonfoniks81 said:
thanks for the information, that's what i was thinking too, this kid i was talking to that said dual cores are so much better for games seemed like he didn't know what he was talking about lol... he kept saying the same thing over and over, that more multi threaded programs would come out, and therefore i should go with the dual core.....anyway....thanks for your help

hook
I think things will ove in that direction, but it makes programming much more difficult, so it will take some time.

Hi,

AMD is going to release their 3800+ "Dual-Core" cpu soon by late this July. I would recommend you to wait for that because you may then have the "best" of both world, i.e. gaming as AMD CPU architecture is more efficient than Intel in terms of gamings, pricing is even slightly cheaper than Intel, same compatible motherboards which support 939-pins CPUs, and its Dual-Core would help "multi-tasking" like Intel too during multi-threaded Applications, which future SWs would mostly tend to be released. :)

The Dual Pentinum D are 64 bit nice dual core processors i would say go Amd 64 bit if you just do gaming. but the P-D/X-2 is more like to be used in future programs/games

this kid i was talking to that said dual cores are so much better for games seemed like he didn't know what he was talking about lol.

Then he has no idea about what is going on now :) probably an intel fanboy.

AMD 64 for gaming, no comparision - unless you consider a dual core AMD x2 4200 or something.

OCdragon said:
Hi,

AMD is going to release their 3800+ "Dual-Core" cpu soon by late this July. I would recommend you to wait for that because you may then have the "best" of both world, i.e. gaming as AMD CPU architecture is more efficient than Intel in terms of gamings, pricing is even slightly cheaper than Intel, same compatible motherboards which support 939-pins CPUs, and its Dual-Core would help "multi-tasking" like Intel too during multi-threaded Applications, which future SWs would mostly tend to be released. :)

any idea how much the cpu will cost?

another thing.... is there any way i could run an my new system on a 300w ps, or is there no way

new system:
amd 64 3200+ Venice
Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra mobo
1024mb (2x512) kingston RAM
saphire radeon x800xl
2hdds (20+80)
cd burner
dvd rom
and about 3-4 case fans

you could try, i think if your psu is a quality firm, then will be no problems..but if its noname, then is better to replace it...

as for 3800+ "Dual-Core" cpu the price will be around 350usd

Hi, hookdonfoniks81:

The estimated AMD 3800+ x2 is what most people been forecasting! By the way I could predict that your said 300W PSU can hardly support what you're trying to get in your next upgrades. Both today's CPUs would demand for very strong +12V rails to power up their Converters, it is definitely DIFFERENT from the older versions whereby they were mostly powering from +3.3v and +5V respectively. Because of that the +12V rail/s should normally have a total current of atleast 24Amax, or even more. Depending on whether you want to OC or not, and also other HW requirements such as Optic and Hard-Disks etc, most people would go for a 450W+ PSU to be safe, assuming that this PSU is a "good brand" as well. :rolleyes:

Back