• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel prevent overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Make sure EIST (Intel Speed Step) is enabled in BIOS. Open CPU-z, go to the Bench tab and click the Stress CPU button. Then go back to the CPU tab and see if the multiplier increases under load. It should be 6 when the CPU is idle and should increase when under load.

I retired my similar Dell notebook because something was failing with Speed Step. The multiplier would get stuck at 3 (6 was supposed to be minimum) and it became unusable running at 600MHz.

Make sure EIST (Intel Speed Step) is enabled in BIOS. Open CPU-z, go to the Bench tab and click the Stress CPU button. Then go back to the CPU tab and see if the multiplier increases under load. It should be 6 when the CPU is idle and should increase when under load.

I retired my similar Dell notebook because something was failing with Speed Step. The multiplier would get stuck at 3 (6 was supposed to be minimum) and it became unusable running at 600MHz.

Thank you , you are right! I will see bios , but i think i tried this, is there any other mod to force eist to use max multiplier?

I tried speedstep enabled in bios ,and nothing, then i tried xpspeedswitch under winxp and its says 2ghz under stress, but in a game i think its uses only half of cpu speed

I never heard of SpeedSwitch XP, looks like a nice little program. Did you try the CPU-z Stress Test?

idle.png stress.png

bv bvbvc.JPG
I never heard of SpeedSwitch XP, looks like a nice little program. Did you try the CPU-z Stress Test?

Yes i already tried cpu z bench, the BIOS or the OS cause this throttle of cpu multiplier? If i reinstall windows does thid dolve the problem ,or i have to update my bios with this mod enabled ,and maybe the bios thinks it a 2ghz cpu?Or may I use RWEVERYTHING?

Heat could cause throttling. Is the CPU fan working and heatsink free of dust? What is your CPU temperature while idle and while stressed?

As far as I know, the SpeedStep setting in BIOS is the only setting controlling the multiplier. Enabled or Auto should allow maximum multiplier, and Disabled should keep it minimum.

I am not familiar with any programs that control the multiplier in Windows (doesn't mean their isn't one) other than the power management. If it is set to Balanced or Performance the multiplier should fluctuate based on CPU load.

Yes i did twice its working in 1.6ghz , but i dont want to give up this mod, if I do not only pll fslx , but do bsel on the cpu too ,maybe it can cheat the chipset to think its a 667 fsb cpu?

Do you have the data sheet with the pin layout for your CPU? I've been looking and have not found one.

The BSEL mods I've done & others have done were just on the CPU pins/pads. It should work if you can identify bsel 0, 1, & 2.

Do you have the data sheet with the pin layout for your CPU? I've been looking and have not found one.

The BSEL mods I've done & others have done were just on the CPU pins/pads. It should work if you can identify bsel 0, 1, & 2.

Can i combine with fslx pinmod , or only bsel must be done?

Can i combine with fslx pinmod , or only bsel must be done?

yes i identified bsel 0-1-2 pads on my cpu ,you can find it on my laptops schematic , and i can find it on my mobo near cpu socket theres numbers and letters .But i have intel 945pm chipset ,will the cpu bsel work on it?

So I finally found a post by someone saying they got the 133-166 mod to work, but that was on an ATI 200 chipset. He broke the bsel1 pin off the CPU, then shorted BSEL0 to BSEL1 on the CPU. To be clear - I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO BREAK PINS OFF OF YOUR CPU!!! :) Can you isolate BSEL1 without breaking the pin off? Your skills with electronic circuitry are far superior to mine. I have used Bell wire insulation to cover a CPU pin, but you need to widen the hole in the zif plastic (and only the plastic!) with a drill bit for the insulation to fit in the socket.

Earlier in the same thread, another post states that the pin mod will not work on the 945 chipset, but what does he know. LOL

Last edited:
Ok so nothing i can do to overcome locked multiplier? I tried bsel and fslx mod ,the results are same.

I think you've done a great job of truly trying every possibility, but Dell has decided there will no free CPU cycles from their D820 for you.

endruw - I think ThrottleStop supports the T2050. ThrottleStop should allow you to access the multiplier and VID voltage settings as well as SpeedStep.

Check the SpeedStep box, check the Set Multiplier box and then set the multiplier and VID voltage to the max. After that, press the Turn On button and see what happens.

Older Dell laptops have a feature where if something is not right, they will boot up but they will be stuck at the 6 multiplier. Hopefully ThrottleStop can fix that.

JLK03F150 - ThrottleStop can also do a world of good for some 7th Gen U CPUs too. Not many people are getting 87 GFlops in LinX out of a U CPU. :D

8OGhZ5y.png

Last edited:
Back