• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interesting experiment on some old DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kwikgta

When I first built my current rig 4 years ago, I bought 16gb's of Corsair XMS DDR3 -2000 @ 1.65v. It would never run over 1333 even when entering each number manually. I finally got aggravated and through it on the shelf and ordered up a 16gb set of G-skill sniper DDR-2133 @ 1.6 v, and has worked awesome. I recently upgraded my rig with a new processor (8370) and reused the old Sniper kit. I kept the 8350 and gathered up a bunch of spare parts and built me a back up station. I threw that old Corsair memory in it so I didn't have to buy anymore. Of course I got the exact same result = 1333 no matter what I did. Then I had a brain storm and manually entered every timing number from my sniper kit into the bios for the rig using the corsair. It worked!....Running right now @ 2133 @ 1.6v :)

Not surprising, Corsair and especially Kingston don't have the best track record with FX. G.Skill will actually have an AMD friendly XMP believe it or not. Still not all G.Skill will work the same when purchasing look for AM3+ compatible etc. and it'll work every time.

Back