• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

interesting old thread on p4 & when to upgrade...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

i started this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=180485

almost two years ago when the p4 C1 steppings were hitting the wall around 3.4-5ghz on good air cooling...

well, i was very wrong on one thing----when to upgrade----

at the time i thought that the p4 with the 0.13 micron process wouldn't be released by Intel at speeds greater than 3.5ghz...and i was right about that as confirmed here:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp

fastest is 3.4ghz with the 0.13 micron process

my thought was that the time to upgrade would be when intel came out with the 0.09 micron process p4's...because based on the history of intel's speed ramping and architecture changes (delineated in the old thread) i thought they would start at 3.6ghz speeds and overclock to 4-5ghz on air...

i was very wrong...intel has scrapped plans to ever release a 0.09 micron p4 at 4+ghz and i haven't seen any cpu's o/c'd past much over 4ghz on air...

so it seems almost two years ago would have been the perfect time to upgrade...because until the dual core cpus come out (and that might be another year or two)...a 3-4ghz p4 C1 stepping CPU would have been just fine....not too mention that a little over a year ago canterwood came out...and that has proven to be a great mobo chipset

Last edited:
dustybyrd said:
intel has scrapped plans to ever release a 0.09 micron p4 at 4+ghz and i haven't seen any cpu's o/c'd past much over 4ghz on air...

Well... even though it's not Prime stable at 4.4 gig and it runs a little warm, I can play games and benchmark at that speed... and it's air cooled (see green rig in signature). A lot of us are running 4+ gig on air.

3800-cpuz-4400.JPG

batboy said:
Well... even though it's not Prime stable at 4.4 gig and it runs a little warm, I can play games and benchmark at that speed... and it's air cooled (see green rig in signature). A lot of us are running 4+ gig on air.

that's a sweet o/c...on air no less, too

still, what is the speed on air that your machine is 100% stable...i.e. never predictably crashes when used (or abused) by a specific program or set of programs...

not that that necessarily matters since if the machine never crashes when you use it for whatever you use it for...then it's stable enough...

my problem i have seen with dual xeons, is that if it's not 4x prime95 stable, then it's not stable enough for encoding with a multithreaded encoder...

does anyone know what speed the dual core chip will start? and will this speed be comparable with a p4's speed (ie deep pipeline) or with the p3 (a short pipeline) with the 90nm process, i assume...is it late 2005 that intel said they will begin to ship these?

Last edited:
well, 4.2 is 100% prime stable. I haven't tried 4.3 yet, but I'm guessing it will be stable too.

Back