• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet connection issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_F

I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my home network. My setup is basically a Arris TG862(I think), which is currently acting as cable modem, router, DHCP server, and firewall. Into this I have two desktop computers and a second device (Netgear WNDR3700) which is running DDWRT and is setup to act as a wireless access point and switch. There is one desktop PC plugged directly into it, and a number of wireless devices (phones, laptops, etc).

Anyway, I've noticed some internet outages. During these outages if I try to ping something e.g. Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 I get probably between 80-99% packet loss, and when the packets aren't lost I get wildly erratic ping times between 60 and 3000ms. I found that if I unplugged the wireless access point, this goes away. I did some more testing and I found that this would happen if I got on my phone and opened Speedtest.net. During the portion of the test where it tests the upload speed the internet seems to die on my desktop computers. I tried doing the same from a laptop, both on wireless and connected directly to the Netgear, and it didn't seem to replicate the same results as the phone.

So at this point I have no idea if this is an issue with the Arris unit or if this is an issue with the Netgear. :confused:

Back