• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when trying to format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

misterbeam

Registered
Hello guys,

I have a really big issue right now with my computer:

MB: P8Z68VPRO GEN3
CPU: Core i7 2600k
GPU: PNY GTX670
RAM: 8 Go Kingston DDR3 HYPERX
PSU: 800W 80Plus silver AeroCoo strike X

I can't access windows, simply because it's not installed! and i can't format it : as soon as it shows "starting windows" i get a BSOD with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Stop 0x0000000A).

I removed all devices, and left only necessary ones, i also disabled many of the MB devices and i am running on the CPU gpu too! i flashed the bios, nothing seems to help.

EDIT: right now i can start the formatting process, but once it reaches 66% of files decompressing, i get another BSOD PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA ...

Please help! if you need me to provide any more informations, just let me know!

First code: You need to turn down your cores or increase the Vcore when OC'ing. If at stock, the PSU may have bad caps or a bad solder joint. It almost always means core instability. It's more likely to be encountered with a failed Linpack test due to not enough Vcore. Try another PSU and try again.....

The second one: RAM instability and may mean a bad RAM slot. Reseat the RAM and try again.....

Thanks guys for your answers!

I tested with another PSU, same issue ... i ran memtest no errors, but i need to run it on each stick, i have a feeling that it's the RAM though.

Anyway, i am trying to install Win7 x64, this is the weirdest issue i have ever faced, i installed windows on my SSD using my laptop, but when i put it on my gaming rig it didn't recognize the installation.

Are you making sure you are using the Intel Sata ports and not the Marvell for the SSD? How long did you run Memtest?

I did one hour tests, but i will remount my computer and do much longer tests, while waiting for new RAM to arrive :( and yes, i am using Intel Sata ports!

Why not try to format the drive on a different machine, if you can, if you made sure nothing is overclocked and set to default settings on the problem machine...

Ok, i tried it and it didnt work!

Thanks for the suggestion though, i will try with windows 32 Bits.

Hold on, formatting your hard drive is not possible on two machines!?

How is this not a hard drive problem?

You need to run a manufacturer diagnostic, preferably from boot up media and not Windows but if hd is not formatable on two different systems, that is the avenue to go...

I mean, i installed Windows on my SSD on my laptop and it booted there without any issues! when i plugged it on my gaming rig, it didnt even recognize that windows installation!

Update: 5 passes on the first stick without errors!

Update: While trying to install the 32bits version, i got some error ,while decompressing files, saying that it couldn't find installation files.

Last edited:
I think we need to back up a little bit.

You cannot install Windows on a laptop then unplug the hard drive then connect it to a PC with a completely different chipset motherboard and everything else...

Sometimes hard drives can be transferred but certainly not always and especially not when there is a huge difference in two systems...

Installing Windows on System 1 then unplugging the hard drive and connecting it to System 2 cannot be always done...
You need a fresh from scratch install on System 2 -- not a physically transferred hard drive where Windows was installed on System 1.

Well, i am unable to do that right now ... it crashes during installation.

Btw, the 3.3V is at 3.42V right now in the bios, and the RAM voltage is at 1.675V while it should run at 1.65V normally. Is this normal ?

Thanks,

You should have all settings on default, one stick of ram, CPU, maybe graphics card and nothing else connected except for the one hard drive.

I mean, i installed Windows on my SSD on my laptop and it booted there without any issues! when i plugged it on my gaming rig, it didnt even recognize that windows installation!
Had no idea this is what you were doing.
Could have told you straight away that wouldn't work.

No guys, please ...

I did that just today after it was suggested to me! and i was too, unsure it would work.

Right now, i am still trying to install windows on my main computer with no success.

Thanks,

Generally, if you can't get through the install without BSOD it's either Ram or install media. I assume you used the same media on your laptop and that worked so...........
Test the HD also.

Back