• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to OC Fx-8350 but Prime95 freezes the System!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ednet

Registered
Hello guys, i am new into the overclocking, i need to squeeze more of my Fx-8350 cause what i have is not enought:

My specs are:

CPU: Amd Vishera fx-8350
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 2x = 16GB
Timing 9-9-9-24
Cas Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V
MB: Asus Sabertooth FX990
GPU: Nvidia GTX 570 Fermi (ASUS)
My cooling is Corsair H100 (2 vents) (watercooling)
Case: Coolermasters CM690II ( 2 fans on top exhaust, 2 fans left panel inhaust, 1 fan right side inhaust, 1 fan front panel inhaust, 1 fan backside exhaust, 2 fans bottom blowing air up trought the case).

Yesterday i treid to OC my PC after ive read guides for a few hours but i failed, the steps i took are these:
Step 1

1. I setted RAM CAS timing , ram voltage like the manufacturer says and set them to T2
2. All speeds except RAM i setted them to Auto (Hyper Transport, NB)
3. All my voltages were on Auto except memory.
4. Disabled all auto OC, like OC tuner, Cool and quiet ,etc.

Step 2
1. I kept raising the multiplier by 0.5 each time and i recorded the voltage change that was automatic on the CPU. I kept raising it and recorded the voltage till it stoped booting and that was my breakpoint (24.5 Multiplier at 1.404 Voltage) 4915Hertz on CPU.
2. I went into bios and manually set voltage to 1 step higher and that was 1416 Volt on the CPU, and it booted into windows.
3. I started 3dmark06 i tested CPU , and i got a score of 7600.
4. I started Prime95 and i tried the small test -> BSOD
5. I went back to bios and got the multiplier down by 0.5 so i was running at 4.8Ghz on CPU at 1416 Volt, i booted and tried to run Prime95 , now when i click start test on small or any other the PC Freezes i cant do anything.
6. I tought its the RAM so i went to bios and i set the RAM Frequency lower, i tried from 1600Mhz down to 866 Mhz and also i tried with different timmings i tried to tighten them from 9/9/9/24 to 8/9/8/24. But Prime still crashes the system when 3Dmark passes the CPU tests....

NOTE: The following CPU settings were enabled:
Spread Spectrum: ON
CPU load line calibration: Auto (Regular)
CPU-NB Load line Calibration: Auto (Regular)
Cpu Power base Control: Standard
Cpu Power Duty Control: T.Probe Thermal

What am i doing wrong.....? WIth the H100 cooling and this case (yes i have cable management and cables are not flying in the case) + all the extra fans i am hoping to hit stable at 4.8GHZ.....

Thank you for all the help i appreciate it!

Welcome ednet,
To start 1.41 Vcore isn't likely to get you an OC up to 4.8 GHz.
I would start around 4.5 get it stable and work up from there. Maybe 19.5 multi and 230 HT drop your ram divider by 1 so it won't cause problems.
This will give you a place to start depending on how high you want to go.
You will also need to monitor your temps closely. We will want to see shots of HWMonitor, CPUz processor, spd and memory tabs. Windows snipping tool works well for the pics. :welcome:

ednet, welcome. There is a big difference in being able to boot into windows overclocked and run a benchmark. As opposed to being able to boot into windows and not have your pc crash constantly while using it for everyday tasks. We usually subject our pc's to at least 2 hours of Prime95 "blend" test before we consider it stable. Unless you have some magical chip no way you are doing 4.8 "STABLE" on 1.41 V. You have a pretty good setup to overclock that chip so you shouldn't have any problems in the hardware department. What I would do is first is set it back to "default settings" make sure that the timings are correct again when you do. I know my CHV always screws them up when I set it to default on my GSkills. Then as Johan said "We will want to see shots of HWMonitor, CPUz processor, spd and memory tabs. Windows snipping tool works well for the pics." Open HWmonitor and run prime "BLEND" for about 20 minutes so we can see your temps at stock and know what we are working from. Futhermore if you haven't already please read this thread.

Hello guys and thanks for answering.

Johan45 - Isnt 4.5 way over the voltage limit, i read about amd voltage range and the safe limit was 1.65 ( thats what a user said about it quoted from AMD, but i am not sure i cant find much info about the voltage range)

Mandrake4565 - I know its a big difference betwen those 2 but i was hoping to monitor temp and do tests on OC settings and pot pics but i couldnt take pics cause the pc was freezing ^^. But i will start again.

Regarding my stock settings temps, ive ran prime95 last night for 10 hours and the max temp was 46Celsius (i dont have a screnshoot as i didnt took), but from the moment i start OC process il take SS of all part and process and update here :).

I will start again from fresh tomorrow morning :)

Thanks again

I meant 4.5 GHz on the CPU with your current 1.41 Vcore and you won't be able to go much above 1.5 with your cooling setup.

Regarding my stock settings temps, ive ran prime95 last night for 10 hours and the max temp was 46Celsius (i dont have a screnshoot as i didnt took), but from the moment i start OC process il take SS of all part and process and update here .

What were you using to monitor the temps? When you max temp was 46, are you talking about the cpu socket temp or the core/temp package?

Mandrake - I use Thermal Radar by Asus (soft for my MB to monitor) its more accurate then any other softs there because its designed for it and it reads the sensors directly, it shows me the temps on CPU (wich were 46-47), Vcore 1 and Vcore 2 temps (1 celsius higher then cpu)

NB -HT Temp
RAM, USB, PCIE, etc and others that are not relevant i guess.

I tried to use Coretemp but that one always shows 10 Celsius lower then the assus Thermal Radar....

What your're getting with thermal radar is the motherboard cpu socket temp, we will need the temperatures on the cores also. I am unfamiliar with Thermal Radar, does it give you another cpu temp? Core temp was probably giving you the "core" which can be 10c lower. With that all said in order to help you see posts above.
We will want to see shots of HWMonitor, CPUz processor, spd and memory tabs. Windows snipping tool works well for the pics.

Right now i am running at 21Multiplicator, 210 Bus (4424Mhz). runing blend test in prime 95, no crash so far.

How long do i need to run the test before i can take screenshots of Hwmonitor/cpuz/coretemp?

Temperatures hit 54Celsius on all cores , i doubt i can go 4,5Ghz without hitting 61 =/

Right now I run at 4424 Gh. Still runing Prime95 ( the build that hasnt yet freezed at min 20in testing(all other tryouts stopped at 20), so far its 30 min Blend test Prime95.

Screens so far:

http://i45.tinypic.com/34y4s4p.jpg (Before test start)

http://i50.tinypic.com/e8k7rk.jpg ( Ram and STD)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2lsfdsm.jpg (25 min in testing with prime95 , Blend Torture test)

1 Hour into prime95 with no fail. I think its time to up the multiplier by 0.5 to hit 4,5ghz :D.

Same Spec but on 4,5Ghz with Vcore 1416 i get illegal sumout on 2 cores, i am going to raise the voltage by 1 bit and retest :)

Last edited:
EDnet How are you overclocking it? Are you using the BIOS? Your overclock is by the FSB which is also increasing your NB Frequency and Ram. You Ht link is also lowered from default. I feel that you are changing to many variables at one time for a new overclocker. These are settings that I feel you should wait to change, in order to fine tune your overclock once you become familiar with how your chip reacts to different overclocks. Did you read the Bulldozer/Piledriver overclocking guide I put in post #3? Also when you post pictures it makes it easier for us if you upload them to the forumusing the attachment tool. See below, also at this point you should put your system specs in your signature so we don't have to keep going back to your first post to see what you have, here's how.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,986
Mandrake - Yes i use bios to OC, i raised the multiplier and also BUS because just by raising the multiplier i couldnt make the system stable at all, even with 4,4 ghz just by multiplier it would still crash with a voltage far from what it shold be (1.416).

So i choose to raise multiplier just by a bit and also bus by a bit.... Right now i ran Prime95 blend on 4,5ghz, its been 33 minutes so far and no crash yet, still going. If this works out for me i will stay at 4.5Ghz cause its enought i hit 60Celsius with it so i dont want to go any futher. Here are some shots.

That is after 25 minutes into Prime, still testing, going to test for 2 hours after that i will do a large torture test till tomorrow morning.

Do you advise me to get the bus to 200 and only raise the multiplier?

Core 5 Failed, Ilegal Sumout =/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 2,005
  • 24min.JPG
    24min.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,000
Last edited:
What Mandrake is trying to say is slow down. If you make too many changes at one time in your BIOS you can't pin down which variable might be making things unstable. :confused:
Just make small adjustments and then test. You should read the sticky that Mandrake linked, it will help you understand the relationship between the different buses.
Also the temps are getting kind of high which makes me wonder if you have enough airflow in the case, With the closed loop system there won't be a lot of air blowing over your socket area which will cause a heat build up.
Or maybe you need to reseat your heatsink.

i reloaded everything to default and starting acording to the guide.

But i cant find any info about these modules i have in my BIOS from ASUS, should these be on automatic or Extreme or Standard setted?.... because when i set them to extreme , Prime95 doesnt fail (ilegal sum) so fast, it takes it about 9-10 mins of testing to fail...

Here is the SS

Attachments

• VRM+DIGI.JPG
    VRM+DIGI.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,992
What Mandrake is trying to say is slow down. If you make too many changes at one time in your BIOS you can't pin down which variable might be making things unstable.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Your case seems to have good airflow from what you mentioned. Like Johan said your temps are getting close to the limit. I personally don't like to exceed 60 on the package and 70 on the Cpu. I don't have experience with that heatsink maybe you need to reseat it like Johan said.

As far as the BIOS goes mine is pretty much the same as yours. I have my cpu llc high, cpu/nb llc high, cpu OC 130, cpu nb oc 130%, power phase extreme, voltage freq at 500. I have really good cooling though so they may not work for you.

Illegal sumout is usually caused by not enough V core. I needed 1.425 on mine for 4.6 but my temps were in the low 40's not high 50's.

To reiterate what Johan said, just slow down a bit. If you change too many things at once it will be difficult to pin point what is causing the instability. To overclock properly it is more finesse then brute force. Learning how your chip responds to inputs will give you a more efficient overclock and a much faster machine. Well leave the fine tuning for later though. Lets just see how far you can overclock using the multi and keep the temps below what I specified.

hmm, now that i think of it, i probably have to unscrew all my case down to level 1 and recable, rearange everything in it, including the Corsair h100 radiator, because mine its in the case and the vents are on it pulling air from the case (pretty much the hot air comes trought radiator to get it out) cause the fans dont fit inside the case =/.

To recable and redo anything takes a bit of time, and i really dont have time to do that now, so i guess il just leave it on turbo mode and 4,3ghz will have to do.

Il return to it in 2 weeks after exams are over as now i dont really have the time to pull everything out of case and rearange to do a fine OC ^^.

Thanks for the support so far, il keep reading about piledriver and other overclocks when i get some free time betwen studies ^^.

Well good luck with the exams and keep reading piledriver posts here this one is really good,though it's for when you are more experienced. We'll be here to help when you are ready.

Ya good luck ednet, I have a kid in university and it can be tough. Like Mandrake said do some reading and We'll be here when you're ready.
Check this out too http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723442
This is my first closed loop cooler and I was having some heat problems. There are some good tips in there. Turns out my thermal paste was too old. Got some new stuff and my core temp was 46 Deg @ 1.4v made a huge difference.
Johan

Thank you guys for the tips, those articles will surely help me :).

Thanks for all the help.

Warm wishes to you too ^^.

Back