• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when trying to format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At this point, i will just wait for the new RAM to arrive (it's kinda stupid i know), i will let you know whether it solved the issue or not.

I have 3 SSD and one SSHD, i tried on all SSDs but didnt work. And by the way i can boot WinXP and Linux from Hiren's boot CD, what does it mean ?

Thanks for your help guys!

Just to make sure I'm on the same page. The SSD you installed windows on with the laptop and it worked is the same SSD you're trying to install Windows on the desktop? Just trying to rule out the drive being bad. Silly possibility, did you try a different Sata cable? What about trying to install Linux just to see if you can install an Os.

CPU failure causing something like this is something I have never heard of in well over ten years on the forums...

In my experience either a processor is working or dead, I do not recall ever seeing one partially running, unless it or the board is missing pins.

Guys, thanks for the time you spent on this thread, your opinions were really helpful.

Since i can't afford wasting time on this anymore, i decided to move to a new hardware, as i think it was either the mobo or the cpu:

CPU: i5 6600k
MOBO: Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3000MHZ

It's an early change for me, as i update my HW each 5 years, i really wanted to get 10 nm cpu for the next step, but knowing how CPUs are evolving, i don't expect a major leap anytime soon, i will save now for a new GPU.

Thanks again,

For future reference, Mandrake's right about linux. A bootable linux usb is a good way to test hardware. You don't need to install it, running it live will do just fine. Not only can you troubleshoot your system once booted, but in my experience it will even boot on failing hardware. A while back that's how I got into ubuntu. Some POS frankenstein project that wouldn't boot to windows, it took the live disk 4 hours to work through all the errors before it finally booted to the installer. That thing limped along for nearly a year before the mobo died and took everything with it.

I had this exact problem, delivered the product back and they found that 1 of the RAM blocks was faulty. Changing them (all) fixed it :)

For future reference, Mandrake's right about linux. A bootable linux usb is a good way to test hardware. You don't need to install it, running it live will do just fine. Not only can you troubleshoot your system once booted, but in my experience it will even boot on failing hardware. A while back that's how I got into ubuntu. Some POS frankenstein project that wouldn't boot to windows, it took the live disk 4 hours to work through all the errors before it finally booted to the installer. That thing limped along for nearly a year before the mobo died and took everything with it.

I will keet that in mind, thanks :)

That 2600K was still performing really well @4.8Ghz :(

You can close thread guys!

Back