• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 4ghz cpu worth more to sell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

visbits

Hi guys, I've got an e6600 core 2 that will do 4ghz on air at 1.45V, what would you say this is worth selling for? I'd like to build an i7 system.

Depand on the rest of the rig, but an E6600 is "old" 65nm. It really depand on the rest of the RIG.

It's definitely worth more then an e6600 that won't make it to 4ghz. Considering modern CPU prices (and OC potential) it's worth maybe $80-90 to an overclocker. To a non-overclocker it isn't worth any more then any other 2.4ghz CPU, so maybe $50 considering that an e5200 is faster at stock clocks.

That's just my take on it though.

Considering 90% of people dont overclock, you are not going to get much if any more for it in the public domain. Now here, someone may be willing to pay a premium for a known 4Ghz o/c on that old chip. However, their mileage may very depending on the board etc so....Im going with no and just note that information in the FS thread and maybe it will sell quicker.

There are some great deals in the FS section and thats what I expect. Not inflated prices (which I see a ton of and cannot reply to, which is utterly annoying).

I was thinking $120-$140 for it.. I think it has real potential under some good cooling.

I personally wouldnt buy it for more than $80. You can get an e8400 brand new for about that ($25 more) and overclock it further not to mention its faster clock for clock by far.

Ya, that's the issue. A known 4.5ghz e8whatever is for sale in there for 110 (120?) shipped.

Your near of buying a E8400 at this price ..... 4.0ghz + ....

Loll all the same answer ;)

If that......think about it. Why would I buy that chip for $90 when I can have a 45nm CPU that is way faster clock per clock and will overclock further for a pittance more (talking e7400) or even way less cost (talking e5300)?

Considering that you can buy an E5200 for $63 from newegg brand new, your E6600 isnt worth much. Granted, the E5200 only has 2mb cache, but really, are you going to notice that much? Not for $30-$40 more you wont. And the E5xxx CPU's are pretty good clockers, can hit 4ghz quite often with the right setup.

Considering that you can buy an E5200 for $63 from newegg brand new, your E6600 isnt worth much. Granted, the E5200 only has 2mb cache, but really, are you going to notice that much? Not for $30-$40 more you wont. And the E5xxx CPU's are pretty good clockers, can hit 4ghz quite often with the right setup.

Actually cache is very important if you use any highly math intensive applications.. oh waits that's EVERYTHING, Photoshop, Games, 3D studio....

It's definitely worth more then an e6600 that won't make it to 4ghz. Considering modern CPU prices (and OC potential) it's worth maybe $80-90 to an overclocker. To a non-overclocker it isn't worth any more then any other 2.4ghz CPU, so maybe $50 considering that an e5200 is faster at stock clocks.

That's just my take on it though.
lol, first when i clicked on this thread, i was thinking everybody had theh same view as me.
what i first thought was that he could charge a premium for an e6600 that could reach 4ghz. he could charge slightly more than a stock e6600 to overclockers, and charge a huge premium for non-overclockers.
but then again...if the non overclockers buy it, the cpu won't be at 4ghz as soon as you put it in...and your mobo has to be able to handle it as well.

A decent modern motherboard shouldn't have issues getting the 450+ needed to get that chip to 4 GHz. Like a P45 for example, probably a P35 too.

I definately wouldnt pay 90 for it, I bought this Q6600 used here in the forums for 115 :thup:

Theres deals like that everywhere :)

if that's the case...
you might only be able to charge a small premium for the fact that your chip can reach 4ghz.
after some thinking, non overclockers wuodln't care (or know) why a 4ghz cpu is worth more, while overclockers are constantly looking at prices and know what prices to expect...etc etc.

Back